SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emilygpollard

Turning Dining Room into Mudroom/Pantry? Need Help!

Emily Pollard
4 years ago

I had originally posted on here a couple weeks ago about a kitchen remodel. So you may or may not have seen that post; however, we have decided to go in a different direction so I’m reaching out for more help/ideas.
Right now to enter our house from the garage, you have to walk through our laundry area. It’s just a pass through and lacks design. I’ve always wanted to have a separated space for my laundry and for our guests to not walk through there. Yes, we have a front door, but when people pull into our driveway, it’s closer to come through the garage, so most do.
Anyway, we have found a pretty simple solution, we are considering moving our entrance to the “dining room” wall of the garage. This would allow us to close off the laundry area, making it a separate space, and open up ideas for mudroom/pantry. That’s the issue. We are at a loss on what to do. We don’t use our formal dining room that is attached to our kitchen because we have an eat in area and bar space. We also have a “study” across the foyer from the dining that could be used as a dining room if we ever needed it or wanted to sell and the buyer was looking for a formal space.
My main concern now is design. How should I go about this? Should I utilize the space as butler pantry/mudroom? If so, has anyone done this and can give me some ideas. Is this a good use of space? If not, what should it become. I think the wall to the foyer would need to be closed in for any room to make asense, but I’m open to ideas. The only thing we don’t want to do is move things in the kitchen, we’ve decided to leave them the way they are for now. *We have granite and nice cabinets, I’m just planning on painting the cabinets to freshen it up in there.
We are planning on meeting with an architect and contractor sometime after this pandemic is over, but I would like to have an idea of things to tell them.
Again, any help would be appreciated! I’ve included the floorplan for the area I’ve discussed.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living