SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
purrparlor

Where to put the required outlet by the sink?

annkathryn
12 years ago

I believe the code is for an outlet every 2 feet when a counter is longer than 6 feet. There's also an exception:

Exception. The receptacle outlet required for the countertop can be installed below the countertop where necessary for the physically impaired or where there is no wall space above the island or peninsular counter. The receptacle must be located not more than 12 inches below the countertop surface and it cannot extends more than 6 inches measured horizontally from the counter's edge.

In my kitchen, I'm planning on using plugmold to mount the outlets under the upper cabinets. However, I've got a space between the sink and dishwasher where there's no obvious place for an outlet. I'm planning on having the windows come down to the counter, so no wall space there.

I don't see how a Mockett pop-up outlet could work there either - not behind the sink, and not in the counter over the dishwasher.

My architect's solution is to put an outlet on the fascia in front of the sink. I'm not crazy about that at all. Should I allow that to be installed until the point we pass inspection, and then remove it?

I actually don't need any of the 3 outlets shown on my plan; the toaster is going elsewhere, and the outlets in the corner will be sufficient for my occasional use of mixer, blender and Cuisinart appliances.

Any ideas appreciated.

Comments (17)