SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
purrparlor

Granite backspash design help needed! (pics)

annkathryn
14 years ago

I'm in the midst of planning a face lift for my kitchen and need to figure out how to design the backsplash. I'm trying to do this on a budget. Decisions so far are:

Uba tuba granite

Paint cabinets white

New undermount stainless sink and faucet

New downdraft cooktop

Replace trash compactor with cabinet front and pull-out trash bins.

Repaint the walls

I'd like to have a bevel edge on the granite - I've seen this is a number of houses and think it looks good. I can choose between 2cm and 3cm granite. An alternative is an ogee edge. This is 2cm beveled with a 2cm laminate on the bottom.

I have a sort of odd layout in my kitchen as far as the current backsplash goes. What I'm thinking of doing is using the granite as a backsplash behind the sink, and extending it at the same height along the length of the wall on either side. I'd continue the granite up inside the window sill.

You can see that there's not a really logical place to stop a tiled backsplash if I put one in between the counter and cabinets.

The new backsplash would be about 4.5 inches, not the full 6 inches of the current backsplash.

One question is whether to continue the backsplash around the corner past the appliance garage on the right wall?

Another question is how to finish the top edge of the backsplash? Should it be a simple squared-off top, or beveled as well? And how to make the transition from the window sill to the backsplash? Square? Rounded? Beveled?

Better picture without so much glare. Granite would go back to the windows.

And last question, can we get away without backsplashes on the perimeter counters?

I realize these kinds of semi-backsplashes are starting to look dated, but tile isn't really in the budget. Our next house will have a beautiful tile backsplash, but this one just needs to look good enough to put on the market.

Comments (2)