SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
behaviorkelton

make a small house bigger?

behaviorkelton
17 years ago

Here's what I'm thinking:

I'm about to close on a house that is around 1,100 sq ft.

I had a well respected handyman over to look for way to fit a 2nd bathroom into this one bathroom house. We seemed to be reaching our mental limit as we ruminated over ways to put another bathroom in this bathroom.

After that session, it occured to me that I might do well to simply enlarge the house. As it stands, I think that it would make life much easier if I took the entire backside of the house and set it back another 9 feet or so (the house is 42' wide). By doing this, I can get bathroom that isn't ultra "mini" and another 300 sq ft.

So I'm thinking of getting a licensed contractor to do the exterior/foundation work (a "dry in" job?) to make the additional space, and I'll do whatever I can to finish the interior either myself or with the help of a handyman.

I live in Knoxville, Tn. I would love to know of a good contractor in this area!

Beyond that, what sort of expense should I expect on the "dry in". It's tough for me to know what a fair price looks like given that I'm not experienced with this stuff. Is there a fairly straightforward way to estimate what this should cost?

Kelton

Comments (7)