SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pattifer_gw

My foreclosure dream house

pattifer
16 years ago

Ah, finally public sale day arrived. I was ready. We had to drive 8 hours to get a bank check (the bank we used didn't have a branch in our state). I got up early, put on my best casual sunday clothes. Checked the lawyer's website one last time to make sure the sale hadn't been cancelled. Called his office and left message on his voice mail - just in case.

Tripping out the door early so I could gas up and make a run through Starbucks and still arrive at the sale an hour early (DH insisted I get there early) clutching check in hand with a sticky note from my lawyer on what to look for re: bid conditions .... The sun was shining ... the birds were chirping ... ok that's an exageration. But it was a nice day.

Just as I had cleared the little town and was on my way to the interstate - the phone rang and it was the lawyer doing the sale telling me the sale had been cancelled. No explanation. Just cancelled. Told me the house would never be sold ever ... OK - he was pretty rude. Once again, my housing choice had been foreclosed. I was crushed.

Still determined to find out what happened ... and not about to get an explanation or even a glimmer from the guy doing the sale ... I drove directly to my bank (which happens to be the same bank foreclosing on my dream house) and sat down in front of my banking lady - until she started making calls (I find that here, if you don't sit down in front of them - no one will do much - not my RE agent, not the girl who wants to make our mortgage so she gets a bonus - money does not seem to be a motivator) Well she found one person who told her - and I'm not surprised - that the sale was cancelled (not postponed) because the bank was trying to get a lien cleared - (ha! I kept asking everyone I could handling that foreclosure that there was a small senior lien on the property, no one would return our calls - finally last Friday I had my lawyer fax a letter to the attorney's office asking them about it - she never got a response BTW) Also the person at Bank told us that the bank was making an insurance claim on the mortgage.

I'm not sure what that means in terms of the sales price. But have been given a new person to contact in Loss/Mitigation. Now told that we can buy the property again, via shortsale since foreclosure sale was cancelled.

And, as usual, called on Tuesday, left voice mails, no response - you would think that at the least she would return the call to the young lady at their Bank branch. May be hoping for too much.

Was thinking more about - house sitting - you know wintah is coming - sounds better than squatting.

After all that ... can someone here explain to me what it means "making an insurance claim" ??

I already know that I would have to clear the senior lien. But wonder what effect the insurance claim would have on the second mortgage - the one that the bank holds.

FWIW - we have been in contact with one of the owners of the property - so there is a short sale possibilty.

To make matters worse - I never got my Starbucks Vente Latte.

MP

Comments (8)