SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gunderson1909

window education needed please Marvin, Pella, etc.

gunderson1909
17 years ago

I am looking for help in sorting out window differences. Our contractor installed Pella Pro-Line windows when we had approved Marvin Integrity. We had specifically stated that we did not want compression jamb style of tilt-in for cleaning and now we have them installed. We are also concerned that the quality of the Pella Pro-Line is not as good as the Marvin Integrity.

Can anyone tell me anything about the differences? I have spoken with people who sell windows, but since no place sells both Marvin and Pella I am getting a salesman's slant. One Marvin rep claims that the Pella Pro-line have roll form/coil stock metal cladding which is inferior to the extruded aluminum cladding on regular Marvin or the fiberglass composite of the Marvin Integrity. There was something about siliconized polyester coating not holding up as well as paint on fiberglass. Also something about Pella windows being painted before - not as good as Marvin. I got a bit lost there. He said the warranty on the Marvin is superior and that there are no forms like with Pella.

Pella has latches for the tilt-in on their higher level 850 architect series which seems to be about the same price as the Marvin Integra, but I do not know what else is different in terms of finish, durability, etc.

We are also concerned about the installation. The contractors left the fins folded and are using sealant instead. In our prior house we had new Marvin windows installed in a gut rehab that were great - tilt-in with a latch. Downstairs at that house we had some replacement windows put in that were the compression jamb that we hated. They also leaked a ton of air in our cold and windy Chicago winter. We are concerned that we will have the same problem. This is a different contractor than the last time so it is hard to understand what exactly the problem was. I do not know the specifics of how they were installed regarding fins.

We do not want to hold up the job or take steps backwards in the progress, but we also do not want to have to live with something that is not what we agreed on. We never cleaned the windows in our prior house that had the compression jamb, while we often cleaned the ones with the latch type of tilt-in. Equally, if not more important though, are the quality, effectiveness and durability concerns.

I am asking these questions here because communication and trust are showing themselves to be less than perfect with our contractors. If we do change these out, what do we put in their place? I think standard sizes might be part of the issue with the Marvin. The Pella 850/Architect series solves the latch tilt-in problem ( I think?), but what about the quality etc. We are open to other brands if we do indeed change these. Would love any ideas of good quality double hung windows that have latch type tilt-in, unfinished wood interior, easy care, durable white exterior.

thanks.

Comments (8)