SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lauraa_gw

I need some advice on a house that we bought in July

lauraa
16 years ago

Hubby and I moved to Connecticut in August of 06. We are originally from Tennessee and moved back here in July of 07. We came in May and put a contract on a house and closed at the end of June. We were not in Tennessee for the inspection or closing. My brother came to the inspection.

My brother called me from the inspection and said that there was some damage or a crack in the tray ceiling. I told him to point it out to the inspector. My real estate agent assured me that he would take care of us since we were living out of state.

Fast forward to about three weeks ago and we had rain for three straight days. The crack in my tray ceiling was now leaking. I called a roofer and he says that I have hail damage and that the roof needs to be replaced. He did do a temporary fix so that the roof would no leak inside at the tray ceiling. I then called my real estate agent and told him what the roofer sais. I am very upset and want to know why the inspector didn't see this damage.

I did report the damage to my insurance company and they will not fix the roof because it didn't happen after we bought the house. The adjuster gave me a name of a roofer but it was already the roofer that I had come out.

The inspector came out yesterday with his roofer. They were supposed to call before they came so that I could get my roofer out here also. They didn't call. The roofer goes up on the roof and tells me that I do not have hail damage and that the roof has had several repairs and it looks like has been walked on to much. I question the roofer of why he didn't notice the repairs that had already been done and he said that he didn't get on the roof that he just looked at it with his binoculars. I told him that he should have gotten on the roof, that is what I paid for. If I had known that then I would have hired a roofer to inspect the roof before we closed. My real estate agent kept telling me that the inspector would find any problems. The inspector told me that he thought the crack was from settling.

My roofer told me that I will probably have some more leaks within a year. The inspector's roofer said no way.

What do I do now? Should I call another roofing company and get another opinion? I have talked with an attorney and he thinks that maybe the previous owners collected some insurance money and didn't get the roof fixed. Is there a way to find that out?

Sorry this is so long but I need some advice on what to do now.

Comments (14)