SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dwpc_gw

How do you motivate and monitor a contractor?

dwpc
9 years ago

I'm fed up with my contractor. With the construction downturn, the choices here in a small town were limited. He made a lot of promises. He had a good resume and recommendations. He was not the low bidder. Now that he has a signed contract he acts like it's his job to do it as he pleases. And his "building company" is actually a one-man show; him plus a casual "helper" or two.

I'm tired of having a confrontation every time he ignores the plans. I'm tired of him falling behind because he won't get adequate help or rent the equipment that he said he'd use. I'm tired of being ignored when I notice he's taking short cuts that affect the design or appearance. I'm tired of the "I've been doing this for 30 years" attitude every time I ask him to do it per the licensed architect's city-approved plan and the spec that he bid.

I'm not in his face on trivial matters. I hate bringing up this stuff. He's sloppy on the details and makes excuses for serious mistakes; like trying to fudge the critical drainage grade on the plan; or like breaking off large lag bolts and stripping the holes in $$ visible wood beams, Or delays from having inadequate help or basic rigging eqpt making heavy tasks unsafe.

I'm polite and don't demand...at least for the first three or four times I ask. But when ignored or blown off, I get testy. So I'm hoping that some of the reputable contractors here can advise me: How do I get this guy to do what I'm paying him QUITE handsomely to do without getting into a fight at every turn?

Comments (3)