SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
optimist999

Evaluating a potential GC

Optimist999
11 years ago

This is a question about checking out a GC to do my kitchen.

I took one possible GC into the bathroom, which was done 8 years ago (by a GC who I checked out, including references), showed him the tile wall in the shower, "Tell me what you think about this."

He pointed out 1 or 2 things he would have done differently, e.g. taking the tile up to the ceiling, instead of leaving an 8 in. gap betw the top of the tile work and the ceiling, but otherwise had no observations about the work.

Then I pointed out the fact that the tile was of different widths on the 2 ends (about 1/2 in. missing on 1 end). He commented that the contractor did not start with a center line, so as to make the tile on both ends the same width. Everything I've read about tile says that that (barring some definite reason for not creating a CL) you do start with a CL.

Then I pointed out a few corners where there was a noticeable discrepancy in the corners (picture available on request).

This fellow says he's been doing kitchens for 35 years. Yet he did not notice the alignment problem, or the CL problem, until I pointed them out. Or, alternatively, did not wish to comment on them (even tho my asking him for an opinion should have been a tip-off).

The lack of negative comment, even diplomatically phrased, disturbs me.

OPINIONS, please: do you think he should have noticed these flaws?

And suppose I point out the problems to another contractor: what do you think would be something appropriate for the contractor to say?

Comments (11)