SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lizstanton08

How do I bring this room together? (pictures)

lizstanton08
15 years ago

I've posted a few times, but still can't manage to get my bedroom exactly right.

I've swapped out the tabbed curtains for ones with a valence (mainly to cover the water damage my landlord still hasn't gotten around to fixing).

Should I change the throw pillows the bed? Add a throw blanket? Which color?

The room is supposed to be mainly red with black and white accents, but I feel like I keep veering towards black with not enough white. Should I switch to light colored curtains?

What do you suggest?

Comments (34)

• gk5040
    15 years ago

The black curtains are a little dark, but white would look lost. Perhaps a black and white check or stripe? I think the style is right.

• lizstanton08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What if I used only the valence?

I've been looking for black and white curtains that are big enough for the window and can't seem to find any.

• Related Discussions

How to use computer to bring a church together

Q

Comments (12)
    Thanks but I don't think you fully understand what I'm trying to do. Let me try to explain again. I just feel, as a regular member of the English speaking group of my church, that the Portuguese and English speaking groups can get to know each other better. Each group has a variety of skills and resources to offer the other. But for this to really happen maybe a place online could do the trick. Maybe there needs to be a place online where individual members can go and talk to each other. For instance, what if someone from the English group was looking for a babysitter, and wanted to see whether someone from the Portuguese group could offer the service (or knew someone who could)? How could they conveniently inquire about this online? Alternatively, what if someone from the Portuguese group wanted to get legal advice on something and wanted to ask a lawyer from the English group? Do you see what I'm getting at? Basically, I'm looking for some kind of online thing that will allow individual members of the Portuguese and English speaking groups to talk to each other without the rest of the world listening in. Again, any feedback will be highly appreciated! Thanks.
    ...See More

family room, help bringing it together!

Q

Comments (7)
    I agree with you. The windows are stunning! You could try putting the chairs on one wall facing the sofa on the other wall and the TV where the sofa is now (in a nice cabinet). If the cords are an issue, you could strategically place a large plant or something to direct traffic around the left side, which would also highlight your gallery wall. This arrangement should feel cosier and give each seat have a view of both the fireplace and the TV. I don’t generally like the look of an area rug on a carpet but, if you’ve found a look you like, try it.
    ...See More

My very first rug. How do I bring colors together?

Q

Comments (33)
    Havingfun, you are right. Originally I was thinking pillows that had both colors but most of my feedback was for solids and textured. I do like what you’ve shown and appreciate the links. I think when I make a purchase I will have a mixture of solids, textured, and like what you have shown.
    ...See More

HELP ME FIND A RUG TO BRING MY ROOM TOGETHER

Q

Comments (1)
    I can’t enlarge your pics but your DR does not have room for a rug in fact it barely has room for the furniture. From what I see of the LR there seems to be a lot of stuff in there maybe try decluttering a bit and take some pics that can be enlarged.
    ...See More
  • lizstanton08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here it is without the curtains:

They are attached, so I actually just cut the curtains off. My husband is going to kill me when he finds the curtains in the garbage can. We've already purchased 3 different curtains for this room and made 5 or 6 trips to the store.

• candace70
    15 years ago

Are you the one that can't paint because you are renting? If you are able to paint, I am thinking a light cocoa color on the wall would make your reds and blacks really pop. I know you said you want red, black and white, but I am thinking that if the walls were warmed up a bit, the colors you like would actually show up better.

Of course, if you ARE the one who can't paint, my advice is useless. ;)

In that case, I think the last picture actually looks the best, but get another valance and make it look fuller. Also, on the bed, another set of pillows to make that look fuller as well. And artwork, if you are able to hang it. A substantial piece over the bed, or even 3 smaller frames would look nice and draw the eye. I feel like I can see where you are going but you need to add more to the look. (incidentally, I feel the same about my own place, too!)

Good luck!

• brutuses
    15 years ago

I like the valance with the curtains. I can't believe you cut them off. OMG, you need to get more opinions before acting so hastily. LOL Your windows are not surrounded by wood window casings so you need curtains of some kind to dress the plain, ugly apartment window. I lived with windows like that all my life, I know how to dress up an ugly window, if I say so myself.

Before I realized you cut up the curtains I was going to recommend you get white sheers to put in the middle of them to lighten them.

I'm so sorry you cut off the curtains. The valance alone looks awful, I'm sorry to say. To save money at this point, you might want to consider buying an inexpensive flat double sheet, cut in down the mmiddle to make 2 panels and hang them under the valance. If you don't want black, try gray or red.

To brighten the bed, you might try getting some geometric print shams and pillows. Something in black/white or red and white and black. If you're up changing the bed cover, I'd suggest white with red, gray and black accents.

• babs711
    15 years ago

I also can't believe you just cut the curtains off without getting opinions first. It looks unfinished and just not good without the curtains.

I think the issue (in my humble opinion) with the room is that you're trying to work with two really strong colors in large amounts instead of one strong color and smaller amounts of accent colors.

The room reminds me a bit of a college room instead of a master bedroom. Are you set on the red comforter? I almost think it's working against you for some reason. What if you switched to a white comforter or a black and white printed comforter and used red pillows as accents instead? Then I think the black curtains and valance would be easier and would work better.

But if you've invested too much in the comforter, then what about the same curtains with the sheers as suggested above? I think that would work and be much softer looking. I also think maybe a toile print or something softer than the stripe might work better for your pillows.

Hope that helps a bit.

• teedup1
    15 years ago

I like the valance-only treatment...especially since the window has a window seat.

Do dig the cutoff portions of the drapery/curtains out of the trash! You can always make something out of that fabric; if not a fuller valance, cover some pillows for the window seat.

• candace70
    15 years ago

Oh, I missed the part that you said you cut them! Yeah, I wouldn't have done that. LOL!

• printersdevil
    15 years ago

I'm so sorry that you did cut the curtains, but now you must deal with it. I, too, have done things on impulse, and regretted it.

I agree, I hope that you salvaged the curtains from the trash. The material would be great for making either pillows or a cover for the window seat. I think having a cushion on the window seat would help.

Also, try moving the black and white pillows to the back---up against your headboard and then put the red ones with the shams in front of them. You probably need another black pillow in front of them, but you should be able to find these without spending a lot. check out Big Lots. Our BL has a lot of pillows in different colors, textures and sizes and most are cheap. I just bought some raspberry colored ones for $5 each.

You might also soften this up by adding a throw of some kind on the bottom of the bed. Look for something in black and white to see what it will look like. Again, it doesn't have to be expensive to achieve a nice look and to help pull things together.

Artwork would also be nice. If you can't hang things, check into some art posters and hang them with push pins. There are lots of black and red art posters that would pull this together. You could check out Hobby lobby for them. Remember they run the posters and art prints for 50 % off every few weeks.

Good luck and hang in there. We have all made mistakes. Take things in baby steps and don't be totally swayed by any one here. THink about the outcome

• dogridge
    15 years ago

I really like the window with just the valance. I would try to move it up a few inches, just below the ceiling. This will make your window look bigger. Dig out those curtains, get a piece of foam from a fabric store and wrap the curtain fabric around it to make a window seat cushion. You can just pin the fabric to the bottom, don't even need to sew. Then get some white throw pillows, maybe one with a red picture on it. You could even cut out a simple felt flower and glue it onto the pre- made white pillow
    How about a floor lamp in the corner next to the bed? You could also get a neat hanging fixture. I think Ikea has a long fabric light that hangs down from the ceiling that is cool.
    How about some art over the bed? I once saw a neat idea where they took old LP albums and painted them, then they hung them in a pattern. You might even string 3 together vertically and hang them three across to make a grid. you could do that with those stick on hooks.

I do agree with putting the black and white pillows behind the red ones.

• nanjean68
    15 years ago

I agree with Babs7111. Could you put the draperies on rings without a valence? Once you did that, how about turning the bed so the head is at the window. Sometimes I think having a color on the wall and a more neutral bedspread makes all the difference in the world. If you're not totally in love with the spread, use red as an accent color. Going into your room is like me going to a black and white wedding. Too much red and black to sleep.

• texashottie
    15 years ago

Liz, I like you!! LOL!! :D

I'm not really a fan of the black for the window. Windows are fresh and airy and supposed to be a source of natural light. The black gives it a "heavy" feel. I'd shoot for something light and refreshing in your colors---maybe white and red? Or black and white with the latter being the predominant color.

Yeah, can you paint? I think painting it a neutral color will take the sting of the white walls out of the room, and play up your red, white, and black much better. :)

• lizstanton08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Actually the previous curtains were bought on impulse and were only $14 so I don't feel too guilty about cutting them. I picked up some curtains in a shade of red yesterday that I like much better (I actually bought 3 different ones to try and I'm returning 2 today). The new ones don't block out the light as much. I'm thinking of putting a black or white throw at the end of the bed and changing the red flowers next to the bed to white. And I'm going to get some black throw pillows for the bed. I'm open to changing the comforter if anyone has any suggestions for a duvet cover. I just purchased this comforter a month ago, so I don't want it to go to waste entirely.

I'm working on the artwork...I really want this black and white photograph that I found of our city but it's $125 (photo only - no frame), so I'm either trying to come up with an alternative or getting the guts to just break down and buy the photo. The photo is from the website below; it is the one called "Skyline HDR 2" and is about 35 pictures from the end. I want the photo to be the focal point at the end of the bed, so I'm thinking of a size of 16 x 20. I suppose I could get several photos in smaller sizes for less money, but I'd rather have just a single frame.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo I want

• terezosa / terriks
    15 years ago

I like the red curtains alot better! Good decision. The black valance was really way to skimpy.

• lizstanton08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is the photo I want. I couldn't save the photo so I did a screen shot.

• texashottie
    15 years ago

I like the red much better! Nice job!! And the photo is a nice touch too.

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

I think there's too much red in the room now: big blocks of it. I think black and white curtains, maybe to coordinate with the pillows, would work better.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

The red curtains look very nice.

• teacats
    15 years ago

I like the red curtains -- and I would add a small black-and-white pillow to the window seat.

Of course -- the room will pull together even more as you add the artworks like the black-and-white photos ......

And consider adding a black swing-arm lamp above the night table. And perhaps another one on the other side too. OR -- just a tall thin black table lamp -- and a thin floor lamp on the side .....

• annzgw
    15 years ago

I agree with organic.........too much red and not the right tones.
    If this room is going to focus on B/W/Red, I'd put a seat cushion on the window seat in a red fabric that compliments your comforter, then use the B/W drapes.

I'd rather see something like the drapes in the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: jcp

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

I too love the color combo of black, white/cream and red! Your post reminds me of a set at JCP called Modern Country. It is a sophisticated country look using your colors! Maybe this can serve as inspiration for you in pulling things together. I would use the black/white combo with accents of red as in the link. The ticking stripe drapes don't seem too heavy and coordinate with the comforter. Your red comforter would look nice folded at the foot of the bed over the black & white sheets.

Here is a link that might be useful: JCP Modern Country

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

Those are nice, annz.

I'm also thinking these would be nice, as well, since they would tie in so nicely with the checked pillows.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blackwell Curtains

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

Here is another set of pics with the red, black, cream beding combo from above.

Here is a link that might be useful: JCP

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

I see the link did not work as intended, sorry! Click on "other Views" in that link to see more pics.

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

As for the B/W photo you love...I saw someone on RMS use a pic they had taken and upload to thier computer or to Staples and enlarge it to poster size or to any size. Frame in a nice black frame and voila...art for your room!

• lizstanton08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I agree that there was too much red in the room, so today, while I was returning some curtains to Wal-mart, I browsed the quilts and found one that I love. Once I find some artwork, the room will be nearly complete. Here is what it looks like now:

• mldao
    15 years ago

I can totally relate to what you're going through. I used to look at my bedroom and think there's just something off or missing. I bought, returned and exchanged bedding like nobody's business. It was a running joke in my family. I finally realized it was the way I made my bed. I still love to change my bedding but now I stick with a few core pieces. These items never change:

White bedskirt - tailored or ruffled (your personal preferance)

White Sheets: - Fitted and flat

White Pillow cases: Number of pillows depends on size of bed

I've upgraded through the years and now have a white coverlet, shams and bedskirt (I also have my plain white set, just in case). This has really worked out well for my fickle personality. I've included a picture of my bedding and I feel the key to liking your bedroom is how the bed is made. Do you have a white set of sheets? If not, they're quite inexpensive and Wal-mart carries them along with bedskirts. Fold your quilt/comforter at the foot of your bed. Depending on the size of your bed, place 2-3 white pillows first, then shams and and 2 more white pillows and finish it off with one decorative pillow. I have a Cal. King bed which calls for a few more pillows. I hope this helps. I also feel it doesn't matter if your bedding has a cream background (mine does) instead of white as long as your sheets and bedskirt are white it pulls it all together. BTW I liked your red bedding, I think it just needed a little tweaking. I also like what you have now. Good luck and most of all have fun!!

• sarschlos_remodeler
    15 years ago

mldao, I have a very similar set up, only my base coverlet and pillows are cream. The nice thing about this set up is that the matalesse coverlets and shams are washable, too.

When I was younger and money was tight, I sewed buttons onto my old comforter. Then I would buy two flat sheets in the correct size and sew them together, with the pretty border from one of the sheets overlapping the other. Add button holes, and you have a pretty duvet cover to fold at the end of your bed. I was able to change my bedroom look very inexpensively by using the decorative sheets only for the duvet and the shams, but keeping the main sheets and coverlet classic white.

• printersdevil
    15 years ago

I like your new quilt. Personally, I wouldn't add white for a bedskirt. I think that a black one, or tan or a color from the quilt would be better. However, I am one who doesn't like the look of the white coverlets. It always reminds me of a hurridly pulled up set of white sheets from my younger days. :(

Just another thought, have you considered putting the bed in front of the window? I know that most people don't like this look, but it seems from your pictures that you enter the room and immediately see the headboard that evidently needs to be off the wall that much. I just think that repositioning the bed with this type of headboard, would let the focus be on your bed and not the blank space between it and the wall.

• cindyxeus
    15 years ago

I think this room is screaming for some bold pattern window treatments in red,black & white. Check out the link below for some great fabric. I particularly like # 236816, and 236817 for your room.

Here is a link that might be useful: Red,black, white fabric

• cindyxeus
    15 years ago

OOps sorry I should have read down further where you changed the quilts. Oh well if you ever decide to use the red quilt with the black accents again, do check out those fabrics.

• User
    15 years ago

I'm completely confused, as the quilt you chose does not represent the streamlined, urban esthetic of your initial photos and post. The photo and the quilt are at odds, designwise. The red curtains are a big improvement, but with them I would use your original black coverlet, the black and white pillows, and add a few red pillows. With that combination, the photo is a striking asset, imo.

• terezosa / terriks
    15 years ago

I agree that the new quilt looks like country cottage and does not go with the B & W photo that you like so much.

• lizstanton08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No, the quilt does not go with the modern look I was aiming for, but I loved it so much that I couldn't pass it up. Besides, I don't think that I need to be committed to just a single design style...especially since it's just a quilt. I think that the bedroom should be a room that feels welcoming, and to me, this one does now.