SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rgillman

Can I tell you how I LOVE my....?

rgillman
16 years ago

1.UNDER-COUNTER KITCHEN AID ICEMAKER

Always fresh, little bitty clear ice cubes, day or night, for martinis or just to chomp on...what a difference it makes! Ahhhh...

2.MONOGRAM CONVECTION OVEN WITH FULL ROLL-OUT RACKS

You cannot believe the joy of pulling the roasting pan all the way out and lifting the lid with one pot-holder/one hand. This is especially wonderful because it is under-the-counter and I don't have to bend quite so much.

3.PULL-OUT TRASH & RECYCLING

No crawling under the sink trying to find a little bitty waste paper basket squeezed between the garbage disposal and the filtration unit. No emptying the garbage every 5 minutes (or what seems like it) - and best of all, no running out to the garage every time I have a plastic container or can to throw away.

While I love everything (or will, when I get a working cooktop) I think these are my top 3 contenders. What are your top three?

Comments (41)

• rhome410
    16 years ago

Do I have to put them in order? Not sure I could...and I bet they will change with time...maybe even daily. But today I'll say:

1)Stainless counters to each side of my rangetop

2) Rangetop:
    a. Using my cast iron cookware on the b. The rangetop has 8 burners, so room for as many large pans/pots as we need, and for more than one cook. One night there were 3 kids cooking at once. Cool!

3)I love the pullout trash and recycling cabinet, too...No garbage overflowing into the sink cabinet, and no recycle collecting at the back of the sink until someone takes it outside! It's an amazing difference to be rid of the clutter.

And I have to cheat and add
    4) My dbl wall ovens...Eye-level view, arm-level reach, room for everything to bake/roast at once, multi-rack baking, and separated from the rangetop.

• boxiebabe
    16 years ago

Still not completely finished with our kitchen, but so far:

1) LOVE my Blanco silgranit sink and Delta Waterfall faucet with separate sprayer

2) LOVE the pull-out shelves - full extension

3) LOVE the trash can pull out (maybe I should've snuck that one in on #2)

So - I also LOVE my Emerald Pearl granite. It's nowhere near as much of a pain in the rear to keep clean as I thought it would be.

:)

• Flowerchild
    16 years ago

1. Crema Bordeaux granite. I can't walk by without fondling it. When the sun shines on it I am entranced with the rivers of colors.

1. The Blanco Super silgranite sink, 9.5" deep and sooo easy to keep looking nice
    2. The two pantry cabinets with nice rollout drawers with bumotion slides
  • mommycooks
    16 years ago

BIG island with raised bar for seating the kids
    seating area in the kitchen (comfy chairs rule!)
    FINALLY having gas to cook on!

• muscat
    16 years ago

Aside from the fact that I went from an ugly/dysfunctional room that I tolerated, to a room that I just like to be in, and so I always feel like cooking, the three most fun things are:

1. Gas to cook on!

2. Fridge with water and ice maker, and the doors open up all the way!

3. Instant hot water dispenser

• rmlanza
    16 years ago

Ditto here for the blanco super single siligranit and pull out trash and recycling.

But I also love my...
    Mockett pop up outlet in my island
    Moen Aberdeen pull down faucet in ORB
    multicolored slate tile floor...no more worries about dropped ice cubes or dog dish spills on the wood floors...and they're just so COOL to look at!!!

• lynninnewmexico
    16 years ago

Not in any special order:
    (1) new KA built-in, 42" fridge with cabinet door covers!! Love it because it fades into the background and, because of it's shallower depth, I don't lose food in my fridge anymore. Ahhhh!
    (2) new view from my family room into the kitchen ~ it's no longer of a big, ugly SS fridge, but my beautiful hand-troweled hood . . . . love it !!
    (3) New Prep Area: everything is in one area within easy reach. AND, I can talk to people or watch tv while I work. Life is bliss now :^)

• lightlystarched
    16 years ago

Oh this is easy!

1. Walk in pantry. I just like to go in and "face" the shelves.
    2. Induction cooktop. So so easy to clean!
    3. My big window that lets me see the whole backyard.

• decodilly
    16 years ago

Ok, my list will be boring to some, but we went from a tiny, dysfunctional, closed-in workspace to having:
    1) a counters to prep on
    2) a dishwasher
    3) enough storage to put everything away

DH has always loved to cook, now with this new space I am finding that I like it too and we have become a cooking team-which is a lot of fun!

• User
    16 years ago

1) all of my appliances...Caldera ( Rayna it WILL be all good !), Miele double ovens and the Miele deep fat fryer and Twins and Bosch d/w

2) 30" deep soapstone prep/baking area and the deep drawers below

3) ability to have zones so we can have 4 of us doing serious cooking in the same footprint that only allowed one before

Caroline

• acountryfarm
    16 years ago

It's a little different since I am not living there yet. This is what it seems like I would say once I do get there.

1. My wonderfully large marble topped island

2. Matching baking centers

3. Open kitchen that allows me to cook and be part of the family at the same time

4. Broom closet ( I love this closet so much, so practical and handy), it's amazing how we can get so much pleasure from these simple little things

• rhome410
    16 years ago

How could I forget about my walk-in pantry, and not having to go outside to access the freezer?! And I love that we CAN'T see the TV from the kitchen, and we can close the doors... Things get cleaned up much faster, and if they don't, we don't have to look at it from other rooms. It may be different for smaller families, but with meals for 10, usually followed by a baking project or 2, our open kitchen was like having a restaurant kitchen open to the dining room and lobby...Loud, usually busy, and only completely clean when people were sleeping. Also, other clutter was always sneaking in and piling in the corner of the counter. Aaaaahhhh. Much better.

• mominthedubc
    16 years ago

Great site! Now can anyone tell me what specific appliances you love? Thank you!

• User
    16 years ago

I love my soapstone counters and island. Love working on them. Love looking at them. I love my big soapstone sink, too.

I love my walk-in pantry and would move it near the top of my "needs" list if I ever built again. It's so much easier to put away groceries and keep track of what I have and what I need. Also keeps my kitchen and workspaces free of appliance clutter.

I love my JennAir dual fuel range. I find it easy to keep the cooktop clean/like the gauge of the grates/the convection oven fan isn't too loud/oven preheats relatively quickly, and I love the warming drawer.

• rgillman
    Original Author
    16 years ago

bump - appliances.
    Can't tell yet about the Caldera - the repairman never came today. Supposedly I'm first on tomorrow's list (6:30 am????)

In the meantime I love

My soapstone counters (which don't count as appliances but they should).
    My Jenn-Air CDFD. Three weeks and not a single item has rotted, moulded, soured, or otherwise gone bad. The freezer stays at ZERO and the fridge at 37F degrees. Even the lettuce from 2 wks ago was still good when I got home from my business trip.

My Monogram Advantium 120, in which I baked cookies yesterday without heating up the whole kitchen.

My MOnogram 30" oven with the 3 roll-out racks

My KA icemaker under the counter (YES!!!)

And my KA dishwasher which actually gets the dishes clean. What a refreshing change.

• mary_in_nc
    16 years ago

DH for being so patient with me through this process!

• mominthedubc
    16 years ago

Has anyone heard of an icemaker that makes crushed ice, if I don't get a water and ice dispenser in the fridge door?

• luvnola
    16 years ago

In no particular order

1) My french door fridge w/water in the door

2) Gas 36inch cooktop

3) Enough cabinet space that things don't fall out of them the moment I open a door

Overall: Smiling instead of groaning when I walk into my kitchen :)

• mominthedubc
    16 years ago

luvnola,

Great to hear you love your things. Would you mind sharing what brand your FD fridge is and cooktop? Thanks.

• sienne_c
    16 years ago

I most of all love that the renovation is done and the whole kitchen is wonderful!

I love my Liebherr refrigerator.
    I am pretty passionate about my induction cooktop.
    I adore having a solid glass backsplash.

• mary_in_nc
    16 years ago

mominthedubc- to find out favorite appliances I would highly recommend the appliance forum. Below is a link to a thread where people listed their appliances.

Here is a link that might be useful: List of Appliances Thread from Appliance Forum

• mominthedubc
    16 years ago

Thank you mary in nc!

• jagl
    16 years ago

sienne c - Do you have any pictures of your glass backsplash? I would love to see it! Thanks.

• mominthedubc
    16 years ago

I think this is a great thread so I am hoping to bump it up so people can add to it, selfishly, because I am still struggling with my decisions!

• luvnola
    16 years ago

mominthedubc - Sorry I'm getting this to you so late. I must have missed your post earlier. At any rate, I chose the Kenmore Elite 25Cu ft. I LOVE it and so do friends who have come over to inspect my new toys:)

• mls99
    16 years ago

1. Undercabinet cold water filter that doesn't reduce flow: AquaPure. I drink about 4 liters a day, don't like it cold from the fridge, and now it tastes great.

2. GE Monogram 30" stainless induction cooktop. Unbelievable how fast the pan is ready, how powerful it is, how quickly the pan reacts to me changing the temperature.

3. Caesarstone Blizzard (white) countertops. A doddle to keep clean, and easy to see when they need it.

• mominthedubc
    16 years ago

Thank you luvnola, I will look into that one. I appreciate your response. Keep 'em coming everyone, your input and advice is so helpful to us novices and people like me who are having a hard time making a decision on...anything!

• jimandanne_mi
    16 years ago

1. Appliances--
    *GE induction cooktop (immediate control of temp, perfect temp for everything, quick boil, little room heat, easy to clean, etc.) LOVE IT!!!
    *QUIET GE dishwasher--have to really listen to know it's on
    *2 full sinks (ok, so they aren't really appliances)
    *MW countertop raised 6" (with oven underneath) with space in front of it and to the side, between the fridge and sink for messy DH who uses it constantly

2. Storage--
    *walk-in pantry with grocery pass-thru from laundry/garage
    *spice pullout for large containers (more spices in drawer & upper cabinet)
    *large trash/recycling pull out
    *glass-fronted pasta drawers
    *large pots & pans drawer (and new large pots & pans for induction cooktop)
    *large pots & pans drawer for plastic containers
    *easy reach lazy susan
    *an 18" wide "junk" drawer for DH & one for me just as we come into the kitchen from the back hall
    *a deep drawer for DH's vitamins, supplements, etc.

3. Lots of counter space
    *a large L prep area between the sink and cooktop (my corner!)
    *a long peninsula with sink for cleanup, with coffee/toast area at the wall end
    *a 48"x42" island in the middle that is useful for everything

Anne

• mominthedubc
    16 years ago

Anne, your kitchen and accessories sound amazing! Do you have any pictures? I am especially intrigued by your MW. Do you have just one oven and microwave? Thanks.

• jimandanne_mi
    16 years ago

Thanks, mominthedubc. I spent a lot of time thinking about how we use the kitchen, so it was impossible to list just 3 things I love! We're leaving on a 2 week vacation tomorrow, so even if I knew how to post pictures, I wouldn't have time. We have one convection MW and one convection oven in the main kitchen, but have a range in the smaller lower level kitchen for the guest/in-law kitchen that I've used when necessary. But I usually use the cooktop way more than the oven.

Anne

• mominthedubc
    16 years ago

I am bumping this up because I posted a question about what people DON'T like in their kitchens because I think it is just as important to know what things people "hate" as well as what people LOVE. So, I am hoping people will continue to share what appliances, granite, sinks etc. that they love here as well as their dislikes on the other thread. Then I (and hopefully others) can compare the likes and dislikes to make an informed decision. Thank you so much. You don't realize, or maybe you do, what an invaluable service this is.

• brosamj
    16 years ago

There are many things that I love about our new kitchen, but here are my top 3:

1. Copper 36" single bowl sink--I love the size of it, I love the look of it and the ease of keeping it clean.

2. Our Pull out Trash can in the cabinet. Keeps the kitchen clean looking without a big garbage can sitting out there.

3. Undercounter lighting--Did not have it before, but it shows up the work area so well, we always have it on.

• mominthedubc
    16 years ago

ooh, copper bowl? It really is easy to keep clean?

• cantmakeadecision
    15 years ago

bump!!

• monicakm_gw
    15 years ago

My kitchen renovation was 6 years ago...and yes I'm still here (from time to time). Our remodel wasn't as extensive as some but the one thing that still makes me happy as a pig in slop is my
    TAPMASTER (hands free water) It's like having a third arm in the kitchen. LOVE LOVE LOVE it! LOVE the new one in the master bathroom too :)

• sundial
    15 years ago

My kitchen remodel was in 2005 and I too still stop in here now and then. My favorites after much use are:

Cambria Oxford quartz countertops and backsplash (so pretty and trouble free)

SubZero side by side refrigerator/freezer (looks great and it really does keep food fresher longer than other brands we've owned)

Blance Silgranit sink (no one should be without this)

• rhome410
    15 years ago

This is my 3rd post to this thread, so I'm probably more than having my say, but I'm adding our Marmoleum Click flooring. It's one of the decisions in our house and kitchen that I haven't 2nd guessed or regretted even for a second.

• chrissiemw
    15 years ago

My kitchen is almost done and I finally get to post to this thread!

In no particular order... I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my:

-blumotion full extension drawers in the pantry, NOTHING gets lost and it is ALWAYS neat! Wooo hoooo!!
    -soft close cabinet doors
    -hot water tap (though I had this before the remodel...still LOVE it though)
    -super susans
    -Blanco silgranit super single sink
    -granite counters (never had them before and LOVE how easy they are to keep clean compared to my white laminate pre-model)
    -LOVE that my garbage is finally in the cabinet now! It was in our old house and when we moved I HATED having to keep it out. LOVE IT!
    -oh, and I really, really prefer my rev-a-shelf under sink organizer to the tilt out drawers I used to have.

• neesie
    15 years ago

I really love, love, love my new granite countertops!

But I adore my blanco silgranit sink! I just had about 25 hens over for a bridal shower this weekend. They loved the granite but gathered at the sink when they realized it was not ceramic! They had plenty of questions and I noticed, like me, they stroked the surface! It's addicting.

• rgillman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bump

• iwantakitchen
    15 years ago

Love the:
    Upper cabinets with white interiors
    Pull outs
    Microwave at near eye level and behind a door
    Dividers above the fridge
    Place to sit in the kitchen
    French door bottom freezer fridge
    Looks of the Ge profile smooth top stove
    Pull out trash and recycle under sink
    Little shelves on each side of the window
    Glass in the upper part of upper cabinets and 2 glass cabinets.
    Lots of lights including undercabinet lighting
    Fact that I decluttered when I move things back into the kitchen
    Having the pans in the super susan with lids on