SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mybrowneyedgirls

Can I do shaker cabs if the doors in the house are raised panel?

mybrowneyedgirls
15 years ago

I will be refacing my 8 year old builder grade honey oak cabinets soon. I am working with a local cabinet maker who will convert my partial overlay doors and drawer fronts to full overlay, and he'll add some more substantial crown and a light rail. The cabinets will be sprayed off-white. I love the look of shaker cabinets, but no matter how much I wish it was, my house is not an old farmhouse or craftsman. It's an 8 year old traditional style home in the suburbs, with white raised 6 panel doors throughout. Will it look out of place if I decide to do the cabinet doors in a shaker style? My other choice would be a simple raised panel door that would be in keeping with the doors throughout the home. I just don't know if it matters if the cabinet doors are a different style than the room doors. Or if shaker style is just not meant for traditional style mid-priced new-build homes? I could be happy with either one--anything is better than what I have now--although the ones I seemed most drawn to in photos are shaker. But perhaps that is for the next home where I can get my farmhouse look, even if it's a new build. I just want to get it right.

Comments (9)