SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jel48

Sophie (puppy) and our youngest grandson (Maison)- a story and p

jel48
11 years ago

I'll condense a long story about Sophie here. My young nieces bought a Cavalier (Angel) as a 4-H project. They decided to raise one litter of puppies (with Mom and Dad's agreement) before spaying her. I bought one of the puppies (Sophie) and brought her home when she was 9 weeks old. At the time, my ex-husband and I had a 3 year old Boston Terrier (Elly May) who had gone blind due to detached retinas in both eyes at about 2 years of age. Elly had become very timid as a result and was quite a sad little puppy. When I brought Sophie home, life just changed for Elly. She became the happy dog she was before losing her eyesight! She mothered Sophie, and as Sophie grew older Elly romped and played with her. Elly would run like crazy, indoors and out, seldom bumping into anything and having the time of her life. People would hardly believe it when we told them she was blind!

Life changes, and two years later, I separated from my ex-husband (who was an alcoholic with no interest in changing that - there's a lot more to that story that I'm not going to share). Anyway, Elly had been his dog before we married and I felt it was only fair that he was able to keep her. And Elly needed Sophie. I couldn't imagine taking Sophie away from her. And my ex loved them both. So, I left Sophie. I missed that puppy. She was my baby and she considered me her mama. But, I still saw them occasionally.

Another life change, and I adopted 2 rescue dogs (Lexie and Tessa) and I married Gary. Gary's daugher has another dog (Ginger). So I happily moved to Michigan and we live here with our three much loved puppies.

Again, life changes, and my ex-husband passed away last March at age 62. His daughter wanted to keep the dogs, but she already had another dog and could only take one more in her small apartment. So she asked if I would like to take Sophie. I felt it would be ok for Elly at this time because she liked my step-daughter's other dog, had already been at their house for a few days (without Sophie) and was doing just fine.

So, Sophie came home to her mama!!! And we are all so happy about that!

Sophie LOVES everyone! Her initial greeting upon first meeting someone is 'I love you, I love you!' :-) She and our other three dogs get along just great!

I just wanted to share a few photos of Sophie with my youngest grandson (and his Pappy)!

Comments (14)