SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
strouth64_gw

Fix for retaining wall footer that is too short?

strouth64
12 years ago

Meaure twice, pour once, I guess. I'm having a retaining wall built by a licensed contractor. The wall was designed by an engineer, permited, and the footer framing/rebar/depth/width and soil condition, etc., inspected and approved for pouring. It was then poured today.

So I'm gazing at the footer, feeling good about being one step closer to having the wall built, when I notice that the last segement of the footer (the walll has three angled sections) appears to be shorter than spec'd. Sure enough, it's only 7' 2" long rather then the 8' specified. The wall height for that section is 4'. Short of busting the footer up and starting over is there anything that can be done to remedy the situation? By the way the footer for this section is 3ft wide by 1 ft deep, so we're talking about 3/4 of a yard, or about 2500 lbs of concrete that I'd rather not have the guy tear out to get the last 10" of the wall, but I also don't want one section of the wall and accompanying railing to be shorter than the others. I'm concerned about the stability of a 1 ft footer and any internal torque created by the 7' section applying force on the 1' section. Perhaps I'm over-thinking it? Should I be concerned and, if so, what might I do to fix this?

One final note..the inspector said the next inspection is the final inspection, so I don't need to be concerned about passing inspection of the poured footer, but I don't want issues down the road, either.

Comments (7)