SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
matt_m_gw

Short retaining wall and chain link fence

matt_m
10 years ago

Hello there,

The grade of my neighbor's house is about 20 inches higher than mine. I want to put a fence along that property line, but there was never a retaining wall built between the two properties. My neighbor has thrown a lot of concrete chunks and cinder blocks, along with some timbers, against his property line in a half-butted attempt to keep his property on his side of the line, but there is no way I am going to build a fence against that mess!

My neighbor doesn't have two pennies to rub together, so I'll be footing the bill and labor on my own. I am wondering what my best, and least expensive, options are. I need a retaining wall about 100 feet long and 20 inches high. I want to either put a chain link fence with privacy screening on top of the wall, or directly in front of or behind it.

I have six large Italian Cypress trees (20' tall and more) along about 50' of the property line. I don't want to lose them, since they are worth quite a bit in equity. These trees are about 2' from the property line.

One idea I had was to run a concrete retaining wall to bisect the property line right up to where the trees start, and then come out in front of the trees with stack-able block, making a large planter bed. Then I would fill up that planter bed with 20 inches of dirt to match the level of my neighbor's property. The fence would then be incorporated into the top of the concrete retaining wall on either side of the planter bed, and then just be built at ground level behind the trees where the soil was built up.

Important to note: I live in a VERY windy area, and the wind can blow extremely hard on that northern side. It blew over a fruitless mulberry tree in my backyard recently (trunk was 10 inches in diameter).

I thought about pouring a concrete footing and retaining wall on HIS side of the property line (butted right up to it), and then try and put my fence right in front of it on my side of the line, but how would I be able to get my fence posts down deep enough without damaging the footing, which would probably be sticking out from the front of the wall several inches? I'm telling you, thinking about this has kept me up several nights.

Given all of that information, what is the best way (and least expensive) to build the wall, and be able to either attach the fence to it, or integrate the fence with the wall in such a way that the force of the wind won't knock the whole thing down? Or, if those are not good options, would it be better to place the fence in front of or behind the wall? And I would like to keep all of this as close to the property line as possible -- there is only 10' 4" of space between my house and the property line where the fence will be, and 10' is the minimum distance we can have in my town.

I would be most grateful for any advice.

This post was edited by matt_m on Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 14:40

Comments (12)