SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lhayes1976

Photoshop help on my front porch--please!

Lisa Hayes
15 years ago

We bought our home 10 years ago. I've never really been crazy about the exterior, but we got such a great deal. I've always wanted to add a portico to the front porch, but not sure if it would work under the arch window. I would love to do one with a copper roof. Here's my home. Wow, we need to do some trimming, expecially that crepe myrtle. There is another set of windows behind that monster:

This is similiar to what I would like to add:

Can someone do their photoshop magic on this?

Comments (47)

• powermuffin
    15 years ago

Can't do the photoshop, but I have to say that I don't think your lovey home needs that!
    Diane

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

Here you go:

• Related Discussions

Can you help SingleDad Photoshop the front of my house??

Q

Comments (3)
    I think making the walkway wider would look nice, and also connecting the two walkways to not make it so choppy looking. I'm guessing it is a driveway in between, but it seems chopped up with different materials. Maybe the same materials for the two or something to tie it in. I think I would do a portico only if you felt you neeeded more roof overhang to get away from the elements by the door, otherwise I'd widen the steps in front and add some plantings and flowers to frame the front door area. I like the simple roof lines you've got now.
    ...See More

Extended Front Porch...Help please

Q

Comments (1)
    One idea to look into is, Aeratis porch flooring. Its a pvc tongue and groove porch flooring so it never rots, but it looks like wood. It can go right over your concrete. You can build up a wooden frame around the perimeter of your existing concrete floor (only if you want to extend it. Next install the Aeratis directly over the concrete using a glue called PL premium (urethane based glue). On the wooden structure, if you decided to extended it beyond your current concrete pad, install Aeratis just as you would normal T&G material. Here is the best part of choosing Aeratis, it is the only product that will warranty the direct application to concrete. Also, Aeratis is ADA slip compliant both wet and dry, this could come in real hand if you are struggling with mobility (noticed you mentioned a power chair). Good luck!
    ...See More

Front porch help, please!

Q

Comments (2)
    Back up a nd give us a view of the entire front of the house, tough to tell with the close-up.
    ...See More

Exterior front door/shutters Photoshop help needed

Q

Comments (0)
    Looking for suggestions for front door color, shutters, and garage door. My daughter bought this home in winter so landscaping will need to be addressed this spring, if it ever warms up !! Are shutters attractive with this house design? Kids have talked about removing them. The roof has a gray green color. Can someone photo shop this for me? I would like to introduce a white front door and side lights. Taupe or brown shutters, should shutters match garage door which needs a new paint color? Or paint everything white? Or why white? Gray green? Thank you
    ...See More
  • Lisa Hayes
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks.
    lindybarts.
    That is so cool! Now I'm just trying to decide if I like it or not. I wish that crepe myrtle wasn't there. I'm definitely trimming it down by 1/2. I'm accepting opinions. What do you all think--leave as is or give DH a new project?

• wodka
    15 years ago

For what it's worth, I really like it. It adds even more warmth to your lovely home.

• Pieonear
    15 years ago

I love it with the portico! Lindybarts, you are such a wizard. :)

• decorpas
    15 years ago

I think it defines the entrance in a welcoming way. The generosity of the photoshoppers here amazes me:-)

• brutuses
    15 years ago

lindy, great job.

OP, I'd trim all those trees, etc., not just the crape myrtle. All that shrubbery is hiding your pretty house.

The portico looks really nice and if nothing else it serves such a great function of having protection from the elements while trying to get in the front door.

• kbkids
    15 years ago

I've gotta agree with trimming all the trees. I think all the tall trees are hiding a beautiful home.

And yes, I like the portico as well. I always like the entry way to have some presence to it.

• tetrazzini
    15 years ago

The portico is nice, but to my eye it looks just as good without it. What matters is which looks better to you, tho.

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

To my eye, it makes the entrance appear smaller than the window. Is it possible to make the portico the width of the brick stand out and roof line to see what that's like?
    What fun, what photoshop do I purchase for this, what a huge help it would be for my home projects too!

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

I'm heading out on a short vacation but might be able to trim some shrubs and widen the portico when I get back this weekend. ;c)

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

Great! Do have fun on your vacation.
    I'd love to see the top of the copper at least as wide as the window, if that's possible?

• brugloverZ9
    15 years ago

{{!gwi}}

Here it is a little wider...

• teacats
    15 years ago

Lindy -- GREAT virtual! Looks excellent -- and really suits the house!

Jan

• dgmarie
    15 years ago

The style of the home is Georgian but that portico doesn't do it for me. Poritcos are more colonial, no?

• mlraff53
    15 years ago

I like the idea of the portico but not this shape for your house. I have a similar house and always wanted to add one but never found quite the right shape.
    How about something like lattice for the roof only. It really wouldn't protect you from the rain or anything, it would be more for looks. I just imagine the one you have without the copper roof.

I've even considered doing a two-story one (extending the top and having the columns all the way down). $$$ I'm sure!

• Lisa Hayes
    Original Author
    15 years ago

dgmarie--I really never knew the style of our home. Thanks for the info. I'm open to any ideas. My problem is, our section of the neighborhood is about 16 years old. They opened new sections of our neighborhood and I love some of the porticos on the newer homes. I think what I want to do is to add some "Southern Living" flair to my house. I let DH know we've got some major trimming to do. He asked can it wait until the crepe myrtle has stopped blooming. He would leave as is. I think he likes the Sleeping Beauty castle look. I relunctantly agreed about the crepe myrtle, but the smaller shrubs are getting whacked soon.

• Jeane Gallo
    15 years ago

What about making a flat (looking) porch over the front door, with a 3' chippendale railing on top of it? It would look like you could step out from the window above the front door, but of course you really can't. The roof of the porch would have to have a slight angle for the water to drain off, but it wouldn't be apparent to the eye. You do need some kind of porch, the rain will eventually get in and rot the wood around the door, and perhaps even damage the floor in your foyer. (Been there, done that)

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

Hoping maybe SquirrelHeaven will try some looks here also?

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

brugloverz9, I'd love to see what you did but the photo says deleted right now. :c(

If Squirrel wants to take a crack at it, please do!!

I just took down the big plants and put lower plantings. Then, I added wider steps and a small porch area with the wider portico. I'm not sure about the construction of the porch if this really works or not. And then there's the question of whether it fits your style of house....I'm not the expert there! LOL

jeane gallo, I didn't see your suggestion but that sounds nice too.

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

WOW!!!!! What a Transformation!!!!!

• brutuses
    15 years ago

lindy, that is so pretty. The flowers look real!! You're back from your short vacation, I assume? Glad to have you back.

• marthaelena
    15 years ago

Grat job Lindy!

I prefer the smaller porch.
    The big porch roof looks like it is compressing the door.

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

love2weed, do you have a full shot of the intire house? It actually extends further to the right? It would be important to have all of the front view in balance.
    Love your home, it's beautiful!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

I love the portico AND the trees. The second garden transformation is ordinary and harsh. (sorry!) The trees really soften the edges of the house and make it so inviting and lovely. I like the crepe myrtle too. I would keep it limbed up and clean looking but I wouldn't cut the top.

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

OUCH! Okay...while I agree the new plants are kind of sparse, I was just trying to open up the house. As it was before, I think it was being overgrown by the beautiful plants. But I do agree it could use a bit more so I added a smaller crepe myrtle back (or she could trim hers back) and a Bloodgood Japanese maple on the left. I also moved up the portico so it was squishing the door so much.

Also trying it with no porch and smaller plantings but now it feels like it's missing something...hmmmm?

I also wanted to find a flat porch like the one jeane gallo was recommending but didn't find many photos with the right perspective. Here's one that just gives you an idea but it's probably not exactly right.

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

Personally, I like the original dark green mature landscape with their home, part of the personality, character and permanance to the first impression. Pruning and shaping first, then decide? Without, It feel like a cold monolithic house, stark and uninviting.......maybe I'm reacting to the strong white white?
    I Love what you are able to do with your Photoshop, what program do you reccomend?

• Lisa Hayes
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh my it's amazing what that program can do. I still like the first porch the best. I did do a little trim work this weekend, here is an after picture and also I tried to get a pic of the whole house.

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

Oh Yes!!! That is even more beautiful and what a nice big yard! A Grand setting, well done!

• brutuses
    15 years ago

I did not like the mature green overgrown trees. The large shrubs planted against the house shouldn't even be there to start with so they need to taken out. As for as the overgrown shrubs and trees that sit away from the house, it depends on their growth habit, type, etc. in determinig if they would survive a severe pruning. If not, they need to be taken out also.

I think taking everything out that is not suited for the area or adds to the beauty of the house (which clearly none of the overgrown stuff does), should be taken out. Starting over with the correct variety of trees, plants and shrubs would be the way to go if you want a really good looking house. Half arsing it will only look just that, half arse.

• Lisa Hayes
    Original Author
    15 years ago

In person it really does not look as overgrown as it appears in the photos. I really am not too fond of the just planted landscape look. I like it when each shrub just touches the other. My dream home would be an old farmhouse surrounded by swooping cottage gardens. If you think the front is overgrown, take a look at the back:

• pfmastin
    15 years ago

love2weed.
    I wouldn't change a thing. I think your home is fabulous. Since I am not a starched and pressed person..I love the natural look of the plantings and how they coordinate with the informal design of your beautiful gardens at the back of the house. If you really want to have a portico at the front door, what would you think about repeating the design of your bump out at the back of the house? Beautiful!

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

"Since I am not a starched and pressed person ....." LOL, I LOVE your phrase! Me Too, but, Thanks! that's my new nickname for my husband!
    And I agree, the landscaping minimized in the front would be completely foreign from the back. This home, huge property and setting is a dreamscape! The more I study these pictures the more I love everything about it! I still think the large portico would be beautiful, the small one I fear would be dwarfed on such a grand house, and the latice 'widow's walk' could also work. I would avoid the stark white paint tho, in this mature setting.
    Love2weed, I can't wait to see what your final look will be. Your style and taste is exquisite! Wish you were my neighbor!

• dorothy9_gw
    15 years ago

love2weed

I think your yard should stay as is since you did some pruning. How deep is the front door recess, does it allow you to stay out of the rain? If so, I like it as is. And your back yard is to die for, I'd love to have it along with you 2weed! Beautiful work.
    Dorothy

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

As far as the plantings go, I think I would balance out the abundance at the facade by continuing the lushness out into the property more. Say, swing an irregular curve out from the tree on the far left, towards the street. Maybe a flowering specimen tree on the right side. Bring a bit of color to the door, also, with some annuals. Maybe you could replace some of the cultured evergreen shrubs with something flowering, like azaleas. Makes me think of the gorgeous properties in the D.C. area.

I've let the crape myrtle grow out a bit more, removed two shrubs to the left of the door and added some ivy or vine growing up to the left of the door.

The second pic is an example of a beautiful, sculptural magnolia.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• Jeane Gallo
    15 years ago

That is exactly what I had in mind for the porch, the widow's walk. But a little wider, and painted a cream or off-white. I think either porch would be lovely, though. You are so talented with photoshop.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Here's another Georgian style. Maybe something similar, but less grand, with wrought iron.

• Lisa Hayes
    Original Author
    15 years ago

squirrelheaven--you and my DH think alike. After showing him the photoshop pics, he commented that he would just like to see some more landscaping with berms. He has always wanted to bring the landscaping around the front of the sidewalk in front of the steps. I can't wait to show him what you did. I really do like it--thanks!

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

You're welcome : ) It just spreads things out a bit and balances it out, so everything doesn't look crowded up against the house. Looks simply gorgeous to me : )

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Here's the landscaping more around the front walk. Second pic with just a touch of color and an accent tree (and that one window opened up a bit). Maybe you can get a big pot of flowers that would show up more around the door area.

Glad it helped!

• magothyrivergirl
    15 years ago

love2weed - Your gardens in the back are gorgeous! i'm glad you didn't trim the crepe myrtle. While I agree it has outgrown the space, this is the wrong time of year to trim it. I don't know where you live, but late winter, very early spring is the time here. Goggle trimming crepe myrtle so you trim it correctly, and reduce its size and height and maintain its shape and flowers. Don't top it (whack off the top).
    Pretty house. The shrubs look way better trimmed. Keep them watered if you are in a hot area to help reduce the shock from the severe pruning. You may consider moving the crepe myrtle ( not now). I've had good luck relocating them.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Oh well, you know me -- maybe it should stretch out a liiittle more from the left ... with a variation and off-season ornamental tree.

• Jeane Gallo
    15 years ago

I found a picture of the porch I was talking about where it is a little more substantial. The shutters make a difference as well, but I don't think you have room for them. The house is in James Island, SC (Charleston).
    {{!gwi}}

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

jeane_gallo, that is a Grand entry, love the side steps and iron too. The size fits the home in lovely style. Again, may I say, the mature landscape is most complimentary. Very well done!

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

That's a beautiful example, jean-gallo. Love the landscaping, too.

Love2Weed -- how's the porch/berm thing going?

• Lisa Hayes
    Original Author
    15 years ago

After seeing what you did with the Photoshop, we've decided to lose the porch idea, and go with extending the landscaping. DH is much happier with this plan. We probably won't do it until next Spring. We are still finishing up landscaping from our pool install last year. After the pool landscaping, DH wants to be project free for at least 6 months. Ha! We'll see about that.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Oh, that's so interesting it worked out that way : ) Quite a savings, too, if you're able to do it yourself.

Wish we could see it tomorrow! Thanks for the update.