SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jazzjoy70

bad contractor? (long)

jazzjoy70
17 years ago

My husband and I are expecting a baby in Aug. We have been working with a wonderful architect and have our plans almost ready for a kitchen remodel and 350 sq. foot addition. We started this project with the expectation that we'd be working with my husband's ex-wife's husband, who is a contractor/ builder.

I have been keeping him abreast of each phase of our plans and our timeline.

This week, our architect said we should all sit down and look at the current plans and have the contractor give us a general pricing, so that if we need to change anything (due to budget constraints) it can be done with the last drawings, before the plans go to engineering and then for permit.

Our contractor is being very stubborn, now saying he just wants the plans to himself for a week to "look them over" and then he'll come up with a "list of questions" for us, and that he doesn't "ever sit down with the architect" and he doesn't see why we have to have "a big meeting"- even though we offered to compensate him for his time.

In addition, I am starting to feel like when I call him he is irritated and has a bit of an attitude- when I mentioned getting the house painted he snorted and said, "well, good luck finding a painter for the next 4 months"-

I'm not sure I'm going to be able to work with someone with an attitude who also seems to be inflexible- the problem is that he's "family" and also, at this point, how long would it take to get another builder lined up?

I feel frustrated as my expectation that we start construction by the beginning of June has been clear, and now due to this builder's "style," delays will be inevitable. I know our permit will be fast, I've already called the city and it's going to be a subject to field inspection permit, basically overnight.

Am I being unreasonable here?

What are others' experiences with the contractor at this point? Is it really that difficult to give a ball-park figure at a meeting?

Lastly, anyone have any good builder recommendations for the Seattle area?

Comments (4)