SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandra_ferguson_gw

'new' old quilt pics

sandra_ferguson
16 years ago

Thought you might be interested in seeing another old family quilt.....not owned by me, unfortunately, but made by my family. It is an album quilt, made by Sarah Ann Anderson in 1846...she married a Newlin, one of my family. Sarah inscribed one block

"When I am in the silent grave, which they may see and look upon, and think of me when I am gone."

This is only one example of the, to our minds, morbid messages placed on quilts, samplers, etc. I have an 1824 sampler that has the following;

"When I am dead and in my grave

and all my bones are broken

When this you see remember me

That I am not forgotten"

(believe me, she is not forgotten...I think of her when I look at her sampler, and all the girls that made the samplers I have....I have only been able to trace one girl, in an English sampler made in 1846...and, only because she included a place name....I sleuthed on the internet and eventually found an ancestor...not the direct line, though, for Ann died unmarried)

The quilt is is is excellent shape, and I've included an overall pic so you can see the quilting (blurry, but good enough, I think, to show how wonderful the quilting is.... and, a close up of one of the block centers, with the inking....Nicholas & Sarah Newlin, Middletown, Delaware Co, Penna.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Unparalleled Design & Dedicated to Quality in Franklin County, Ohio