SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cannahavana

'new' old machines (pics)

cannahavana
15 years ago

My parents are in their mid 70's and are decluttering their home. My mother is no longer able to sew so she gave me her two sewing machines today. I am just proud as punch to be in possession of them! They both need a good cleaning both in and out. She also gave me a thimble that was my grandmother's. Funny thing, it fits me perfectly! I have yet to find a thimble that fits my small fingers.

This one I can not seem to find much info on it. It is a portable in the original case and VERY heavy. I weighed it at 35 lbs. Could you imagine carry that thing to a class? :) I have all the attachments and feet with it too. It sews like a dream. I piece my son's quilt with it about 3 years ago. My Mom bought it brand new, but cannot remember the year. Probably some time in the late 40's. Anytime I wanted to sew something, I would lug it to my house until I finally bought a Husky Star three years ago.

This is a Singer 500 Slant-O-Matic. From what I read on the internet, this is the last Singer model to have all metal parts. It is the machine I learned to sew on. My Dad is a plumber and traded his labor for this machine for my Mom the year I was born ('73). She wanted a more "modern" machine. I believe it was made in 1961. It has a knee pedal which was what I was always used to and had a time trying to convert to my foot pedal on my new machine. I still want to move my leg to the right when I sew. I would say 90% of mine and my siblings clothes were made on both these machines. I am the youngest of 9 children.

This is the button holer that came with it.

Rebecca

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21