SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunrochy

buying in Austin, TX?

sunrochy
16 years ago

Here I am again. I have a job interview which is in Austin, TX. I am being very careful about moving there since there are several factors. First, I am not able to go there for the interview so it is being done on a videophone. That means that it is going to be difficult to move there unseen even if I visited the city in late 90s. I know things have changed since that time. Second is that we will be living on one income since my DH is a stay at home father until our son starts preschool. Third is the high property taxes and housing cost.

So what the question is? I am curious of your opinions on how you would deal with this situation. I am waiting first to see if I get the job offer and what the salary would be before we make any final decision. We may rent for a while until we know the areas better but we are also concerned about renting in a safe location. We are not concerned about public schools since our son will attend the Texas School f/t Deaf in Austin anyway. I have done a lot of researches, but still.....

Thanks

Comments (29)

• sweeby
    16 years ago

Austin is a great place to live -- at least, according to virtually every Texan I've ever known. And it's only an 'expensive' housing market compared to some of the country's cheapest. Compared to the rest of Texas, Austin is very liberal, young and 'hip' with excellent public transportation.

Good luck with the job, and I think you'd love Austin.

• Happyladi
    16 years ago

I live in the Dallas area and my daughter goes to college in Austin. Austin is a nice city, but it can have horrible traffic. It is also very hot in the summers, but the rest of the year is great.

It is more expensive then many Texas markets but a bargin compared to much of the country.

• Related Discussions

Austin Tx Garden - Full Sun

Q

Comments (2)
    Have you considered Narcissus or Day Lilies? They both come in huge varieties. I have some pictures of my Narcissus for this year and they will bloom soon so there will be more. I have Day Lilies but they wont bloom for a bit longer. Either way you can view them here: http://aegarden.blogspot.com/
    ...See More

Dying hibiscus in Austin, TX

Q

Comments (4)
    4 things come to mind: 1)Is there a drainage hole in the pot? Hibiscus will croak if they sit too long in water (wet feet). 2)Since you bought them at a supermarket, it may be that they're just now showing the signs of abuse they went thru between the nursery and your place. 3)What may be happening is that they're going thru shock bring moved to a new environment. Is there any sign of new leaf growth along the branches? 4)They also may be getting more sun in your back deck than they're used to, so are freaking out some. I do think it's probably #2 (and a bit of #4 perhaps). I've bought hibiscus in the winter mail order and several have been PISSED at me for a while. Dropped all but one pathetic half green/half brown leaf. Every one has recovered - I made sure they were kept warm, didn't get more than a few hours of sun and didn't fertilize. Keep it in a sheltered spot and I bet 'cha it'll recover. By the way - my hibiscus leaves sometimes crack in the spring, no big woop...and... Many times, at least in my case, leaves yellow (die) and fall off in the spring. No problem either. The leaves normally live about 8 months, then die. Tell hubby that hibiscus can be drama queens sometimes and by catering to their needs, they'll live to bloom another day! Barb
    ...See More

cssa convention in austin tx

Q

Comments (2)
    I had brought my camera, burt discovered I had forgot to turn it off when I packed. The battery was dead when I tried. On the other hand, there were precious few sansevierias for sale and none worth photographing. And who wants to see photos of old men? I did buy the DVD of CSSA Journals volumes 66-75 (1994-2003) and just finished reading a wonderful article on S canaliculata and similar species like sulcata and bacularis.
    ...See More

Custom Cabinetry - Austin, TX

Q

Comments (5)
    You might contact Aaron Siebert at Precision Craft Wood works -- Address: 900 Shelby Ln, Austin, TX 78745 Phone:(512) 551-1064 Precisioncraftwoodworks@gmail.com. They did all the custom cabinetry in my home -- kitchen, 4 baths, and built-ins in living room, mudroom, stair landing and bedroom. At the time they did not do finishing, but now also do that. $250K sounds like a lot of money -- guess it depends on what you are having done (and what kind of wood, finishing, etc.), but wow! Definitely worth getting some additional bids. Another one you might try is Joseph Zambarano. I have not used him and don't know anything about what he charges, but have seen his work in several homes on the AIA tour in Austin over the course of several years -- beautiful. Address: 405 Springdale Rd, Austin, TX 78702 Phone:(512) 740-5324
    ...See More
  • susanjn
    16 years ago

Definitely rent first! We bought a house in a very nice neighborhood in far south Austin in late '96. We ended up doing a lot of driving to north Austin. Three years later we moved to north Austin. You already know you want to be near the School for the Deaf, so that's a good anchor. Rent something near there, and spend the time exploring the city.

Yes, it's hot in the summer, but that's why we have AC, swimming pools and margaritas. And don't bother to pack your snow shovel. We get a big ice/snow storm every three years or so. The whole city shuts down; we complain about how terribly dangerous the roads are; and the kids have a big holiday.

Another important thing to know in Austin - burnt orange (UT Longhorn color) is a neutral and goes with everything.

• susanjn
    16 years ago

Hey Sunrochy! There's a big article in the Austin American-Statesman today about the Austin home market. As a buyer, it might offer you a little hope.

Here is a link that might be useful: Austin American-Statesman

• sunrochy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks all for the replies. I will read the article. Good to hear that the market is slowing down a bit. We will see what happens after my interview. This is the first time I feel this way, not sure if I want to take this large step again.

• gardenspice
    16 years ago

Hmmm, read that article closely and note that in central Austin the number of sales has declined, but the prices are still increasing.
    Austin is a great town, and yes, our traffic has become troublesome. The property tax is quite high, but remmember, we don't have State income tax. Sales tax is 8.25%. I think that generally when moving to a new town, renting is preferable, but I don't think you can bet on a Market Decline whilst you rent.
    School for the Deaf is South Central (SoCo), which is pricey (and may border some neighborhoods you wish to avoid) but there are still some decent deals SW.
    What area of town is your job?

• sunrochy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The interview is for a teaching job at the school for the deaf.

I am wishing that somebody or something would tell me "yes" or "no" about this situation!

• sienna_98
    16 years ago

Well, I'm sure the advice would depend a bit on where your moving from and what you're used to paying for housing, etc. Austin is definitely an expensive town to live in, relative to Texas, but quite reasonable (almost cheap) relative to the cost of living in California. Expect to pay a premium price for housing in good/reasonable neighborhoods near the School for the Deaf. It has become very 'fashionable' to live in that area. If you are concerned about questionable neighborhoods, be sure to stay West of I-35 at least South of Town Lake (n/k/a Ladybird Lake).

If you don't mind a commute, then you can still find reasonably priced homes within 30 minutes of the School.

• patty_cakes
    16 years ago

My DD/DH were transferred from Los Angeles to Austin, and absolutely love it! DH actually went to his boss and let him know they wanted to live in an area where they could afford a home and wanted to start a family. Within a year DD became pregnant, and six months later 'the boss decided' to open an office in Austin~software company. They've been there since April, and even thru the heat and rain, cannot ever imagine coming back to CA. They live in an unincoporated area outside of Manor, TX, a quaint little country town~there are farms on the outskirts. Shadowglen is the name of the new development, and it's in an easterly direction from downtown Austin, about 20 minutes, and an easy drive.

I'm also planning to make the move(condo is on the market), and one of my sons has already moved and living with DD/DH, and eventually will be able to buy a home/condo, which would have been impossible for him, also. My SIL's Mother is also thinking of re-locating, and one of my other DD's will be looking for a home with acreage when we visit again this month~her DH wants a horse ranch. They're planning to make a move when his son starts college in two years. My other son in NC also wants to come visit, and if he likes it, would *possibly* make the move with his son~cheaper than even NC! On top of everyone else, my ex is also planning to move when he retires in '08. I would have a DD and Grandson staying in CA, but who knows what might happen with the rest of us gone.

I'm making the move because I want a better quality of life. I'm in San Diego, and traffic, cost of living, rude people, and wanting to move from a condo to a home is my biggest reason, and of course my newest Grandson.

• gardenspice
    16 years ago

If you are working at the School for the Deaf, you don't want to live in Manor -the commute would be hellish.
    Spend some time, put pencil to paper and work your pros and cons.
    Austin is a great place, but personal factors, or the inability to maintain a lifestyle you want, could just make it impossible.
    There are several Austinites on the board - so ask some specifics and we will try our best to help. But, no one else can tell you what is right for your family.
    I will say this: Most folks come and stay.

• mpp798
    16 years ago

We moved to Austin in June 2006 from Visalia, CA. We are renting in North Austin. We found that all houses and apartments required a one year lease. We have seriously been looking for a house to buy for 5 months. It is definitely a seller's market here. We would like to live closer to central Austin and UT but we can't afford it. The homes are much more expensive than they were in Central California. I would suggest that you find out the zip code around the School for the Deaf. Then look at Realtor.com for houses in that area to see how affordable they are. I agree that prices are not going down. We found our rental on Craig's list and pay $995.00 a month. I think thats about what apartments cost too. Our married daughter moved here from Boston and our son moved here after the Peace Corp and our daughter after finishing grad school at Cal. We have one hold out still in Orange Co. but she visits often and thinks this is a great city. We all love Austin. We are a pretty liberal bunch and enjoy all the intellectually stimulating things to do here. The suburbs outside Austin are very reasonable. Our daughter had a new home built in Cedar Park for $225,000 with many upgrades and 2500 sq.ft. Downside- a 45-1 hr. commute to work in Austin and bad traffic. Good luck with your interview. It sounds ideal working at the same school your child attends.

• susanjn
    16 years ago

sunrochy, I think you would want to live in south Austin. North central may be OK. Cedar Park, Round Rock, Leander, Manor (pronounced May-ner) would be a miserable commute to me. I know you have already been watching the market and know the map of the city pretty well. When is your interview?

• terrig_2007
    16 years ago

I have friends who have lived in Austin (don't know what part) for 25 years. They love it. They have commented about the traffic, but counter that with all the things to do, great culture, music, etc. It is hot in Texas. My brother lives in Fort Worth, and I don't go visit him in the summers...way too hot and muggy for me.

• kellyeng
    16 years ago

We live in San Marcos (south of Austin) and my son works about six blocks away from TSD on S. Congress. His commute during rush hour is about 35 min. and about 25 min. during non-rush hours. working on S. Congress and living in north Austin would be a terrible commute. Neighborhoods around S. Congress (specifically Travis Heights) are crazy expensive but wonderful neighborhoods and beautiful old bungalow houses.

There's some really nice, affordable houses/towns outside of Austin. Try looking in Circle C Ranch (circlecranch.com), Buda (78610), Driftwood (78619), Dripping Springs (78620), Kyle (78640), Manchaca (78652), San Marcos (78666), and Wimberley (78676).

• sunrochy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The interview was yesterday. We (DH and I) will see if I get a job offer. I was told to keep in my mind that they would like for me to start in Jan if possible. Also there is already a couple interested in viewing our house (and buy it if it suits their needs and wants) if I get the offer and decide to take it.

Sooooo...there are 3 major things we need to do with our house: fix the lawn (after checking about the water restrictions for sale), install the new storm windows (now DH has no excuses for putting it off for 3 years!), and repaint the porch floor. Those things need to be done anyway even if we don't move.

• susanjn
    16 years ago

sunrochy, what was your impression of Austin compared to your visit 10 years ago?

Good luck on the job offer!

• patty_cakes
    16 years ago

Sunrochy, get goin' on that house. I'll see you in Austin! ;o)

• sunrochy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Susanjn, I did the interview via videophone so I am not able to compare anything :o(. I was not able to fly out there for the interview. I wish I was able to check out different places. That is why I am unsure if I want to take the risk of moving to a place unseen.

Patty-Cakes, we will see :o)

There is a new water restriction set in place recently, no lawn watering at all. So if we do sell, we will see how it goes with a crummy lawn.

I have a question, will it be difficult or easy to find a house with a basement or an addition for a mother in law suite? DH's mother is a widow and is not close to her family so we don't want to leave her behind in NC. She also helps with caring for our son and I know she would like to keep on doing that. It would be nice if she can have a "studio apartment" setting.

• lyfia
    16 years ago

sunrochy - congrats on your interview. I hope it went well.

As far as basements now that would very hard to find. They just aren't done here.

As for MIL suite if you mean with a separate kitchen then yes it would be hard to find. If you just mean another bedroom with separate bath then there should be plenty.

• brickeyee
    16 years ago

I know about a dozen people who retired to Austin and ever one of them is looking to get out after 5-7 years.
    They all came from the Washington, DC area (most from the Virginia suburbs) and found the place DEAD.
    Maybe compared to other cities it is good, but it is a real dud compared to living near the nations capital.

• susanjn
    16 years ago

For some reason I'm suddenly reminded of a New Yorker magazine cover. ;)

But since sunrochy isn't retiring, and there's a great school for her son, maybe it wouldn't seem so terribly dead to her.

• sienna_98
    16 years ago

You will only find partial basements in a few of the very old homes in Austin. However, there are plenty of homes, especially newer construction, that have a 'mother-in-law' plan/layout, i.e., master will be on one side of the house then kitchen/family room, with the 'mother-in-law' room(s) on the opposite side of the house. My own house (built in 1994) is laid out that way and I really like it when I have guests in town as it allows for greater privacy.

When I was looking 4 years ago, I came across a number of homes that had separate living quarters (whether for in-laws or loud teenagers, LOL), but that was out in the country and so may not be as common closer in town where land values are higher.

• gardenspice
    16 years ago

Sunrochy -
    Ditto on the basements - very, very few are found here.
    In older neighborhoods you will see a good number of "guest houses" or "garage appartments" that are often used as rentals.
    Keep us posted on the job!
    Don't fret too much over the lawn - your competition will be having the same issue.
    Brickeyee - Keep telling people that, our roads are crowded enough.(Sunrochy excluded, of course.)

• texanjana
    16 years ago

Interesting, this is the first place I've ever seen my city described as "dead." I am a native Texan and have lived in Austin for over 14 years. It has grown and changed significantly during that time. We couldn't afford to buy the house we live in today, which was purchased 9 years ago! We live in West Austin.

Yes, the traffic is hellish and the summers are hot, but the quality of life more than makes up for those things. Good luck!

• patty_cakes
    16 years ago

I hope to be making the move to Austin soon,but don't expect*IT*to entertain me. Sure, we all have certain things we search out in a city, but expectations of the 'perfect' city that offers 'eveything in the name of God' is a bit much.

One big positive about Austin is it's approach to the environment, one goal being to make every home sustainable on it's own, without utilities provided by the city, within the next several years.

If I had to make a decision in moving back to a fast-paced crime ridden city such as DC, or a city where focus tends to be more on family and 'excitement' low key, I would choose the latter.

• sienna_98
    16 years ago

patty_cakes wrote:

"One big positive about Austin is it's approach to the environment, one goal being to make every home sustainable on it's own, without utilities provided by the city, within the next several years. "

Um, first I've heard of this! Austin is definitely a green city and environmental issues are important, but I've not heard about a push for homes to be 'off the grid.'

• kellyeng
    16 years ago

This is from the City of Austin website:

Council approves zero energy homes program
    Austin leads the nation in home energy efficiency
    For immediate release
    October 18, 2007

The Austin City Council approved a breakthrough program that sets Austin apart as the clear national leader on home energy efficiency.

"We're taking action today that will lower the cost of utility bills, make housing more affordable, help improve air quality and take critical steps in the fight against global warming," Mayor Will Wynn said.

Today the Austin City Council adopted the first in a series of code amendments that by 2015 will make all new single-family homes in Austin zero energy capable. A zero-energy home is one capable of producing as much energy as it consumes over the course of a year.

Code changes will incrementally increase efficiency so that, on average, homes built in 2015 will require 65 percent less energy than those built today. Home owners who choose to do so will be able to add solar panels or use other strategies to bring homes to zero net-energy use.

"The savings here are staggering - over the next ten years these policies will save homeowners almost $125 million on utility bills and have the same greenhouse gas reduction effect as taking almost 200,000 cars off the road," Wynn said.

The policies up for Council adoption - including today's code changes and the roadmap for changes through 2015 - are the product of a year's worth of work by the Zero Energy Capable Homes Task Force and are a cornerstone of the Austin Climate Protection Plan.

"The city brought together a broad coalition representing the housing industry, business, non-profits and government. The final product is much better for having sought and followed the advice from a diverse group," said Eric Perkins, President of the Home Builders Association of Greater Austin.

Environmental advocates hailed the effort as charting a new course for the nation. "Study after study shows that the most important thing cities can do to fight global warming is cut the energy use in their buildings," said Tom "Smitty" Smith, director of Public Citizen's Texas office. "With this step Austin, is truly the national leader."

• sunrochy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

If I had to make a decision in moving back to a fast-paced crime ridden city such as DC, or a city where focus tends to be more on family and 'excitement' low key, I would choose the latter.

Hee-hee, DC is and will be always my first choice if I could afford to live anywhere I want. I loved living in DC when I was able to (with 2 people renting 2 of the bedrooms in my previous condo).

Update: I am not sure what is going on. I received an email from the school that they are working on getting references. I guess the process of reviewing applications and deciding who gets the job offer is different from I have seen in NC. Therefore I may hear soon if they want me or someone else before making the BIG final decision.

• sienna_98
    16 years ago

Thanks Kellyeng. I must have overlooked the article last week. It's an interesting concept.