SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thundersweet

Our contractor filed a lien and he's not even done yet!

thundersweet
15 years ago

How can he do this? He is over 2 years past the date he was supposed to have been done. We have been very easy going on the matter. There are some minor issues that we were trying to work out.

Our granite cracked twice and both times they replaced it. When they came to install it one of the corners was cut wrong and there are marks left where the plastic was that need to be removed. No big deal...they agreed to do this. In his letter that came with the "claim of lien" he states that the granite punch out work has not been completed since we have not agreed to follow the terms of the agreement. I have the e-mail I sent where we did agree to their terms.

The deck is our biggest issue. We added on an inlaw suite to our home. We had a new septic installed in the back of the inlaw suite. My husband repeatedly told them the deck was on top of the septic (which they installed so should know it). They kept saying it wasn't. Before final payment was to be paid my husband asked to be shown where the septic tank caps were. They are under the deck as we thought. The deck post sit on top of the tank. We want them completely removed by way of extending the deck past the tank. They refuse. they want to do a canteliver system but dh doesn't like the looks of that.

In the letter he sent he is claiming all of this is warranty work. We do not feel this is warranty work since he has not even left the property yet. The last e-mail we have from them stated they were going to call or e-mail to set up a time to meet with us to resolve these outstanding issues. This was over 30 days ago and now we receive this claim of lien in the mail.

Can he do this? I though you had to be done with the job in order to file a lien. We owe him $8450 out of a $370,000 addition/remodel. My husband called him and let him know we received this letter and he stated he was running out of time and had to go ahead and file or he would not have been able to.

Dh called the county and they have no record of the lien. Not sure why that is. She said it had to have a booking number on it which it does not.

Thanks,

Sandy...we are in GA by the way.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations