SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
novahomesick

Latest Bailout Proposal - No Way!

novahomesick
16 years ago

I really hate this idea. Talk about kicking the can down the road. I think this current housing "crisis" is a blip compared to the one that's about to hit as the Boomers try to retire. The savings statistics are appalling.

I concede that this plan might work for the responsible few who are facing foreclosure due to a temporary calamity. But, there are just so many homeowners who couldn't afford their homes in the first place. So, we help them by encouraging them to tap their retirement funds to buy time?

What happens later when their payments are again delinquent? I think Coleman's plan would do more harm than good.

Do you think this proposal will help?

Distress in the mortgage market is generating a wave of relief bills on Capitol Hill, including one that would allow homeowners to tap into their retirement accounts -- penalty-free -- to bring their loans current or to refinance.

The pension-tapping plan for delinquent homeowners was introduced Oct. 19 by Sen. Norm Coleman (R-Minn.). The Home Ownership Mortgage Emergency Act would allow certain borrowers who are 60 days or more behind on their payments to withdraw up to $100,000 penalty-free from their retirement accounts. The money could be used to bring their loans current to avoid foreclosure or refinance into more affordable loans.

Borrowers would avoid the usual 10 percent federal tax penalties on early pension distributions as long as they paid back the withdrawn amounts within three years. The bill restricts this benefit to joint tax filers with adjusted gross incomes of $166,000 or less, or $114,000 for single filers. The assistance plan would be temporary, terminating at the end of 2009. Only mortgages on owner-occupied principal residences would be eligible, to exclude investors and speculators.

The idea, according to Coleman, is "to provide relief to the folks most in need -- middle- and lower-income homeowners," rather than to higher-income households, which may have access to other resources to avoid foreclosure"

Here is a link that might be useful: More from Today's WaPo

Comments (18)