SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Are you a 'Spray Painter?'

Oakley
12 years ago

Is spray paint your best friend like it is to me? I love going to Walmart and buy all the pretty colors.

Someone mentioned in another topic about baskets and wondered if they were too "90's? Heck no. I've turned some blah baskets into different colors and really like them.

My best spray painting transformations was a black wrought iron 4 shelf plant stand into an off-white.

Another was some black wood candle sticks. What I did was put a light layer of red on them and they now look antiqued.

What projects have you done to give your rooms a little face-lift?

Comments (40)

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

I'm a spray painter too. I've painted lamps, picture frames, lots of things. My biggest project was an old glass and brass coffee table which I painted "autumn brown". It turned out nicer than I thought it would!

I use a very large broken down cardboard box to put under my projects so I don't have to spread out newspapers and have them flying away.

I also unintentionally gave our brick patio some bronze accents--

• ahs23440
    12 years ago

Love spray paint especially the new faux metal and stone sprays. Some projects we have done are spray painted light switch, outlet covers, and light fixture in Oil Rubbed Bronze faux metallic, white refrigerator with appliance epoxy Black, and jelly cupboard barn red during my mini kitchen re-do (pictured). Spray painted my deck table and chairs with textured bronze (has a sand type finish) and my molded plastic deck box and storage bench with sage green. Spray painted the stained/finish missing spotted tops of some antique bedroom furniture with granite faux stone spray. So I guess you could say I am a "spray painter".

• Related Discussions

Help from Painters... what questions to ask of cabinet painter

Q

Comments (0)
    I found someone who will spray my kitchen cabinets. What are the right questions to ask to end up with a good result. I'll be painting cherry stained maple cabinets a white or off white color. He already told me he does 3 coats. 1 oil base primer and 2 top coats of oil base paint. Thanks - Priscilla
    ...See More

Shellac Spray - residual spray got all over my bathroom

Q

Comments (3)
    Wow, that's some painter! I would definitely call him and get him over there to clean up his mess. I am always amazed when I hear stories like this, about the quality of workmanship some of these so called "professionals" do. I think this was a job you could have DIY without too much difficulty, and probably better than the painter you hired. Don't let him off the hook on this!
    ...See More

Painters got spray paint all over Hydrangea

Q

Comments (12)
    It should be fine. Something similar happened to me when the deck above me was replaced and the contractor - and I use that term very loosely - sprayed wood stain rather than rollng or painting it on. Just trying to save time I guess. Anyway, the stain got all over everything, including a number of hydrangeas and Japanese maples I had in containers on my patio. They looked awful for awhile and lost a few of the worst affected leaves but were fine the next season. But I still have overspray on some of the containers and on my patio furniture :-( And there are still marks on my concrete patio where the stain dripped through the decking.
    ...See More

Painters sprayed baseboard without taping off the floor

Q

Comments (6)
    Why in the name of heaven and earth would you paint base boards if you "are having the floors refinished next" ?? In fact........ a good painter barely splashes a drop. Refinish floors....THEN PAINT! That is why the lord made drop cloths and pro painters Don't get the slobs back AFTER the refinish as there will be base touch ups. ...........and I think you want better than the loosey goosey you got on brand new fnishi
    ...See More
  • Oakley
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ahs, very pretty! I have a bag of giant pinecones that I sprayed silver and gold last Christmas and boy do they make a difference!

Nancy, last week I spray painted a dark green basket red to put in my foyer where I have a braided rug type table runner on the table in there. Made a nice touch to the room

I have red spots in the gravel driveway and I'm surprised my dh didn't ask me who was bleeding. lol. Newspaper would blow away on me. A box sounds like a good idea!

Picture frames are another item I spray. When my friends send me cards, they're always the girly girl type with teacups, etc., so I put them in a light pink or yellow painted frame and hang them in the utility room.

My next project is to search for greeting cards specifically for that purpose! Another inexpensive way to decorate.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Does spray painting the dead dogwood next to the patio count (I was a tad bored that day and came across the paint while straightening stuff in the garage)? It is now a lovely shade of blue with some purple while it waits for DH to take it down. He thinks I'm nuts, but doesn't hate it enough to get to work removing it, alas. ;-)

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

Am I a spray painter? You betcha.

Went crazy last fall with the black lacquer, all the frames in my foyer were painted. Just today I was working on transforming a green West Elm chair to a lacquered white one. And how funny you say that about the paint at Walmart because that is where I just bough the white, but was seriously thinking: "I could repaint this chair any color whenever I feel like it....hot pink? purple? who knows?

• User
    12 years ago

OaklyOK, I used to love to spray paint, but I've come to be concerned about all the chemicals I'm inhaling. We do have a gas mask. Somewhere. Neither of us can remember where we put it or even which of us used it last.

NancyBee I also use a box if my items are small enough.

Hubby bought me a sprayer that works with our compressor. I need to get a spray booth made before I use it. I know you can buy water based spray paints, but the sprayer will save me money which I can pass onto my customers.

ahs I've also spray painted an appliance. Much better than buying a new appliance when you don't need to that's for sure.

• ratherbesewing
    12 years ago

Anything wicker-it's so easy to rejuvenate.

• JennaVaNowSC
    12 years ago

DH calls me the Queen of Spray Paint. I will spray paint anything, lamps picture, frames, wicker. Just bought the Fusion paint for plastic and am going to paint all my big flower pots for the deck.

Oakley.... I frame cards too. DH gives me a lot of them, and I have framed some of the neat, old fashioned ones, example: Boy and girl in old-timey clothing, sepia prints.

• User
    12 years ago

I was anti spray paint for a while because I had a hard time getting larger items even. Nothing a little poly didn't fix. :) Now I'm back at it. I need to get one of those spray handles though.

Ahs & Justgotabeme - Did you have a hard time getting the epoxy paint even? Do you need to prime first?

• User
    12 years ago

Speaking of spray paint, does anyone know how to get half a can of paint to spray again? I always turn the cans unside down afterwards and spray to clear the nozzle. Never had any problems with Krylon, Rustoleum, etc. This was a can of Ace spray paint. :( Tried using a pin but that didn't work.

• luckygal
    12 years ago

Don't love spray painting but do love the effect! I have many items that have been rejuvenated with spray paint. One of my favs is a silver plated basket which is not a good silver piece but one of those made in China things. Looks very pretty now in white. I have baskets, grapevine wreaths, picture frames, candlesticks, lamp bases, a chandy, urns, pine cones, plastic fruit, and decorative items that have been rejuvenated with spray paint.

To control overspray you can make a 'spray booth' by sealing all the flaps on a large cardboard box, then cutting out part of the side. Keeps the paint inside the box.

• airborne101
    12 years ago

love this thread....... I just started to experiment with a few textured cans. I have a 20 year old house and every room has bright brass accents ( think overkill on my part). Has anyone redone lights or chandeliers in place, rather than removing them? I know I can't spray them, but would love to attempt to paint in place, esp the chandy, it hangs 20 feet high. Most of my art is framed in bright brass too, would love to find a tinted vanish so I can brush paint them without removing the pictures. Did I mention I am always in a hurry, I hate prep work ! I especially like the box idea for spraying. Any help appreciated. thanks Barb

• lynninnewmexico
    12 years ago

Another lover of spray paint, but I did learn the hard way to buy and use the spray can attachment, so that you grip and squeeze a long bar instead of using your index finger. The distal half of my right index finger was numb for 2 1/2 months after one marathon spray paint session . . . that was scary! My latest project was spraying DD's credenza, desk and attached upper bookcase black. it had been a tired yellow group from the 60's?. No pics, but it turned out really well. The only problem I found was the paint scent lasted for months afterwards.
    Two years ago, I found a white Adirondack chair on sale for a really great price. The only problem was that the white looked too beachy for my New Mexico front portal (long, covered front porch). So I sprayed it a nice rusty red and it fit in perfectly! I also sprayed a large ceramic pot a bright yellow for the dark, shady corner out there.
    Here's the chair.
    Lynn

• sweeby
    12 years ago

Great stuff, spray paint! I especially love Krylon's 'Hammered Bronze' paint, which has turned several tacky things into gorgeous. Our most recent project was a cheap formerly-lime green beverage tub that is now hammered bronze and party-worthy.

• User
    12 years ago

My favorite is Krylon's H20. It goes on beautifully and has such a wonderful look and feel to it. I used in on a crib for our grandson to update it. I wish it was easier to find, but since Walmart quit carrying it I have to go to hardware store that's twice as far from home. An hour round trip, not counting the shopping, is not something I care to do too often.

• runninginplace
    12 years ago

Oakley, thanks so much for starting this discussion--I'm inspired by all the positive responses and examples people have shared.

Just this weekend I was idly thinking I need to call Salvation Army to pick up a sad wicker table and a stained and cast-off nightstand. But now I'm thinking how cute that table might look spray painted a beachy aqua, and the nightstand a shiny white with maybe some cute stencils....the sky's the limit with all the spray paint options available :).

Loving this topic,
    Ann

• tinam61
    12 years ago

I don't spray paint alot. Hubby does have a paint booth and he did our vintage glider and chair with auto paint - it has worn like iron! He uses a spray "gun", I leave the spraying to him!

I have painted furniture - but not sprayed. I am dying to try out the chalk paint - have plans for a small vintage dresser I picked up a few months ago. I want to strip the top and stain it and paint the rest.

tina

• dakota01
    12 years ago

Can anyone suggest a good chrome finish spray paint? My parents do not want to change out thier bathroom light fixtures, (can't find ones w/plugs in them anymore) but they are updating everything else to chrome. They have the old goldish colored finish.

Thanks

• azwildcats70
    12 years ago

I have spray painted hinges and hardware. For my kitchen redo, they were going to charge me nearly $600 to replace all my hinges... a $4 can of rustoleum matte black and voila! New Hinges!

You all have given me some pretty good ideas though. :D

• 4boys2
    12 years ago

jeannie,
    Check out Krylon for chrome.
    Also an auto parts store for.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.krylon.com/products/premium_metallic/

• arcy_gw
    12 years ago

We spray painted a yellow bedroom set from the 70's. My DH did a fabulous job. We sanded first, cleaned well..but I have to say I am not at all happy with how long it lasted. The red chipped and looks worn on the edges and desk top. I would love to go after my bathroom linen closet doors and my vanity with a white lacquer, but the longevity has me hesitating. How is all this spray paint lasting for you?

• User
    12 years ago

Jeannie here's a little table I sprayed using Krylons chrome spray paint. Not like the real thing, but it's a very nice look and I think would work for you folks light fixture. You can always use a high gloss poly to help it shine even more.

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

arcy, I think how long it lasts has something to do with how often it is touched. My picture frames, coffee table legs, don't get touched very often, and it doesn't wear off. The paint on drawers and such would get rubbed off faster. Of course, there may be a more durable spray paint that I don't know about.

• User
    12 years ago

Arcy if you want it to last then either put on a clear coat/poly or use more coats. I also found that the Krylon H20 seemed more durable.

• rjinga
    12 years ago

I have a healthy appreciation for "spraying" and I do my share of small projects with it. Most things I would spray paint would be wrought iron, brass, plastic, wicker. I only hand paint my furniture redo's (for my booth at the antique mall) along with any small items that are wood, they almost always are hand painted.

I am also a confessed Walmart spray paint collector. started out picking up about every pastel shade they had. And I'd say the ivory and ballet slipper pink are used the most, second runner up would be the various shades of blues/purples, then greens. Only at Valentines day did I do anything in red, and not too much black either. I often use Valspars primer (spray) and it is great.

I have debated back and forth about getting a good spray gun to go with my compressor for using on my furniture painting, but I just always come back to wanting to paint it with a brush by hand.

• cliff_and_joann
    12 years ago

We've recently spray painted a few door knobs that were shiny brass.
    I also did my brass towel bars in the bathroom,
    as well as the brass coach light in the bathroom that I loved, but was no crazy for the brass.

We did our brass chady a few years ago. I loved the style
    of the chaddy and took a chance on spraying it. I think it
    looks great and happy that we sprayed it instead of dropping it off at good will.

Just recently I spray painted a clock frame we made cause
    I didn't like the way the stain job came out.
    We've also spray painted outdoor furniture as well as indoor furniture.

• User
    12 years ago

Has anyone used Minwax Spray Stain? I have and love it. It's great if you have any natural wicker you want stained. I did my elephant and wicker baskets and trays for our daughter's bathroom.

• louisianapurchase
    12 years ago

We sprayed our patio table and umbrella base this spring black. It was white and the chairs were falling apart. With the new paint, new chairs, and new umbrella we have an amazing new patio set.

• fluffybutt
    12 years ago

Me too! I've done canisters, cabinet knobs, towel racks, lamps, frames. Most recently I sprayed our wrought iron patio set to freshen it up. I also did a brass headboard but not with spraypaint but an aged bronze paint kit. I love it!

• Happyladi
    12 years ago

I haven't done much but I did spray paint my old brass outside light and house letters a hammered brown and am pleased with how they turned out.

My daughter spray painted her shiny brass chandelier shiny white and it looks wonderful!

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

I have spray painted a ceiling light bases in place. One was a cracked white porceleine fixture in the kitchen that I sprayed red. I masked off the ceiling iwth tape and newspaper, stuck newspaper into the fixture (after removing the globe) and also held a big piece of cardboard behind when I sprayed. It looks awesome. The cracked porceleine reminded me of a broken toilet, but in red it looks all new and pretty! the second was a groovy 60s globe light ceiling base that was black and I sprayed it silver. I sprayed both with kilz primer first. I also sprayed some accents on my kitchen clock red to match.

I sprayed my wicker chairs that I got at Kings dept store 30 years ago brown. Now I have to touch them up every year, but they do look nice on the front porch. I wish i had known about the spray stain, maybe that would have lasted better.

I think that most other furniture I would brush for the sake of durability. Except plastic lawn furniture which there is a special spray paint for.

Have fun.
    Kathy

• cliff_and_joann
    12 years ago

We spray painted our brass chaddy several years ago.
    glad we did. I even painted the shades, (they were white)
    I used gold on the inside and mixed the outside shade color myself to
    get the bronze effect. I used fabric paint.

• fluffybutt
    12 years ago

Your chandy turned out great!

• Oakley
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Rj, I love WM spray paint. It's good quality and they have such pretty colors. I also use the same pink and ivory that you use.

• ahs23440
    12 years ago

In the process of re-doing our bedroom I spray painted our ceiling fan. The fan was pretty and still worked great but was dated with bright brass fittings and trim. I used Rustoleum Oil Rubbed Bronze Metallic spray. It's my new favorite thing! I have used that paint several times now and love the look.

• dakota01
    12 years ago

Thanks for the Krylon suggestion - will give it a try. Cheaper than trying to find new lights and an electrian to put in a new box!

• sorriso
    12 years ago

Here's a blog for more inspiration.

Here is a link that might be useful: glam in a can

• Boopadaboo
    12 years ago

You all are inspiring me.

Love the light fixture and ceiling fan above!

I haven't spray painted anything in years! I bought this set for a porch in my last house. Kind of over the top for my current house so it is in the garden beds. It is rusting a bit so I was thinking of touching it up with black paint. Maybe it could handle some fun colors?

• 4boys2
    12 years ago

boopadaboo, your chairs are featured in the latest Country Living mag.

Here is a link that might be useful: Found article at this web site ~