SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dreamojean

hardwood floors seem creakier/uneven under a year post-reno

dreamojean
9 years ago

Our newly renovated kitchen floor is seeming a bit "off" and uneven and creakier about 8 months post-renovation, and I'm wondering if I should be concerned. we have been seeing carpenter ants around the kitchen/dining room for months - mostly a few per day in nicer weather - and the floor seems a bit saggy and creaky. We had added a second floor deck right off the kitchen, steel secured into the brick outside the second floor where we also added a kitchen. We also added a kitchen island to hold plates, pots/pans etc and didn't reinforce the floor under the new island (our architect and contractors/designer didn't suggest it and now I'm wondering if we should have).

We left our hardwood floors intact and just refinished them, and two of them seem to be separating a bit and another one is getting a bit loose.

So my concerns are, might a carpenter ant infestation be destabilizing our floor and/or could we have any structural issues from the new deck and/or new kitchen setup. I know an engineer I can call and/or our architect, or could ask a contractor or even an exterminator - but am not quite sure the best place to start

Thanks for any suggestions from anyone who does structural work or might have knowledge I don't

Comments (8)