SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raehelen

Granite update...Good News...I guess?

raehelen
16 years ago

Well,

perhaps the Granite Gods are being benevolent this week...I don't know?

I just got a call from my kitchen place, and she says "I have good news".

Yeah...?

"We're going to completely redo your granite."

So, that means granite order being sent to China next week, and then waiting up to 3 months? for new granite to arrive and then get installed again ! If you haven't been following, I ordered my original granite May 08/2007, it was finally installed mid-December. Quality issues like peninsula and part of another counter having pattern run in opposite directions, and sanding marks, etc meant a couple of pieces had to be reordered. So, Monday, April 14th they came and installed new granite peninsula and pony wall. Pony wall is perfect, peninsula is a different colour and pattern,and bull-nose edge is different thickness from rest of counter.

So, they are going to pull it all out and start over. I've said keep Pony Wall in LR, it's perfect. But now, DH and I have to discuss whether we want to go with color and pattern of attempt #1 or #2, or perhaps start over with a completely different granite! Though nearly all of upstairs has been repainted, and colour choice was based on tying in with granite!

Of course, this is days after I'd finally found the perfect backsplash tile, which came with coordinating 16 X 16" tiles I could have used for the FP hearth in LR, then could start to finish that room off, get flooring down, buy new area rug, curtains, etc.

And, needless to say, now we can't finish off kitchen... DH was waiting till granite was in to put up toe kicks, back of peninsula, and baseboard molding on floor. Window sills and backsplash were going to be made of granite- they were to start working on those this week with possible installation this Friday- now of course that has to wait...

Oh, and being a granite neophyte, I ordered bull-nosed edging the first time, now maybe I should change that too? If the GG are giving me a redo...maybe I should rethink the whole thing?

On another note...carpenter is avoiding my calls, he promised to have cabinets and shelves finished in 2 weeks, when he came to pick up doors on February 14th! Last time I checked that was more than 2 weeks ago!

But, I love my pony wall! I don't think it will be a huge deal if granite in kitchen is different? Color of granite goes perfectly with my furniture and paintings so I really don't want to fix something that ain't broke!

{{!gwi}}

Comments (3)