SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
valinsv

Help me decorate my patio!

Valerie Noronha
15 years ago

I hope no one minds but I have decided to start a new thread because I think I need more of a plan for this space instead of just focusing on one area of the yard as I have been doing in my earlier threads regarding a gazebo and a patio set. Perhaps there are some better options I am not considering.

Here are the parameters: we live in Northern CA (no snow, some rain in the winter, more temperate climate by and large). We are a family of 5 (2 adults, 3 kids). We do like to entertain and do BBQ in summer and invite friends over from time to time. My two DDs like to spend time in the backyard reading or relaxing and DH and I would like to do so as well. The retaining wall can be used for overflow seating/perching when entertaining, if my ivy geraniums don't totally end up cascading over the seatwall!

View from kitchen:

Patio area:

Paver area on far side we were thinking of putting in the patio swing which my DDs will enjoy lounging and reading. This is separated from the main patio by section of grass and far away from house entry, but is shady here in the middle part of the day due to neighbor's large tree on other side of the fence. I do need to soften the fence look so probably add a couple of planters to either side of the swing and/or small side table.

My original thoughts on this were to put a large circular patio dining set in the circle part (which is 13' in diameter) under the birch trees, a few more chairs and small table in the corner area under the window (which gets quite sunny) and then on the opposite side of the house(where they pavers are) a nice patio swing as more of a secluded retreat.

Problems are: difficuly in finding a larger sized circular patio as well as issues with the sun setting towards the west windows. We actually started to put in a pergola last year and took it all out as we felt it obstructed the view from inside too much as there really was no good place to put the posts. Now the bluestone is there, a pergola structure is out. DH was thinking of some type of rectractable awing, which I think look tacky, but perhaps he is right. I had been thinking of using a drawf citrus (grows to 6') tree in a planter near my DD's window (west side) to add some shade. I got the wrong planter and it stained the patio so I need to get a new one and put the tree back, but won't be large enough probably for several years.

Appreciate some additional insight on this as to what type of pieces of patio furniture to get, where to place them, solution for summer shade, etc. Should I stick with the patio set under the birch trees or make that a retreat with a couple of lounging chairs and put the patio in the middle with the umbrella? Don't worry about the set there now. It can fold out of the way and store in the garage and just come out for parties for additonal seating. I also want to keep a space near the kitchen window to put out a folding buffet table for parties. I already bought one at Costco.

I did find a few possibilities for larger sized circular sets, but not sure I like as much as the oval ones:

http://www.elitedeals.com/tpg-hjs-518.html?productid=tpg-hjs-518&channelid=BIZRA

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07180520000P?mv=rr

Comments (18)

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wanted to add these are pics from the morning. When we entertain or do BBQ in the evening the sun is setting so that the rightmost windows get the setting sun. Which is why I've been hesitant to put a patio set closer to the house.

• annzgw
    15 years ago

OK..........in response to your comment on the other post about stripes........you don't have to have stripes. Awnings can be done in any design you want and solid is definitely available.

After seeing the pics I don't think a standard, slanted awning will work on the right side of your home because if someone tried to exit from the door to the left they'd run into the lower edge of the awning.

I think the style below would work well in your situation.
    Click on Residential to see another style/color.

Here is a link that might be useful: awning

• Related Discussions

Hot Tub is Sold! Help me decorate this patio area?

Q

Comments (4)
    A vote to create an "outdoor kitchen" area with your grill -- and find or make a long table (maybe a tall counter-height one with a shelf under it for storage?) for a food prep area? The table could sit against the end of the garage (?) wall .... and could even have lights for prep too. Maybe hook up an outdoor sink for cleaning and even garden work? Try moving the table area into the middle of the patio -- and then create a sitting area on the side. Many shops will have end-of-season sales soon ... IF possible -- try running some electrical power and place a fountain (on a bed of paver stones) and herb garden in the center of the grassy area at the end of the patio (just out from the current location of the wood glider) That would make a very nice focal point for the whole area.
    ...See More

Help me Furnish & Decorate My Living Area &Dining Room of my new home

Q

Comments (26)
    I love the clean, uncluttered look of your home and you've made some great furniture choices. My first thought, though, is that I would try to rework the sofa/sectional placement. It really is unwelcoming looking to me to have the back where it is facing a wall, when it could be oriented to look into the room and out the windows. It seems like if it were placed in the corner under the stairs that it would feel open and invite you to come in and sit. I'd hate to be cooking in the kitchen and have the family or guests with their backs to me. If you are having a TV in another room close by, do you need one in that room, too? If, so placing a 70" unit will probably only work as you have it. But, to me, it's not going to look like a living room but more like a movie theater, which is fine if that's what you're going for. It seems like it won't be a cozy conversation area, though. I might actually flip the rooms and put the dining room where you have the sofa now. I was looking at lights used with dining rooms and ghost chairs and saw this, maybe would work in the living room? Kind of fun. don't know if it would look as good without the colored walls though. And I thought something like these were interesting to consider for over your table:
    ...See More

Help me choose patio plants? Mostly shaded, perimeter of my patio?

Q

Comments (8)
    Japanese spurge, hostas, Virginia bluebells (also called Mary and Joseph) Solomon's Seal, Cranesbill geranium. I have a lot of shade, and all of these do well. Also, daylilies can withstand quite a lot of shade and still bloom, if they get a few hours of sun. I have nowhere near 6 hours in any area, but they bloom consistently.
    ...See More

Please help me decorate my kitchen

Q

Comments (15)
    why are your panels on the ends of your cabinets white? were they wood and you painted them? just curious what happened there. I agree w/losing those white curtains. they do nothing for the kitchen and block your light. do you have to have window coverings? If yes, then try something like these I have similar slate floors and find that the neutral color jute rug w/black borders look very nice. find a size that will fit in front of the sink/stove area. maybe a 3x4 or 2x4? The chandelier is hung too high over your little table. lower it, or find a better replacement. look on craigslist if you're really on a budget. they sell dining table lights all the time for cheap. and don't forget, you can always change the color w/a metallic spray paint. look for a new little table while you're on there. that one is far too small for the spot, even if you don't use it. It looks 'off'. try doing one like this f
    ...See More
  • annzgw
    15 years ago

Sorry, that link was to a site in N.Z.! Try this one....

Here is a link that might be useful: awnings

• User
    15 years ago

I would keep to your planned location for the table, and look for a nice oval with 6 chairs. I would probably get sling chairs or just plain metal with no cushions; it looks like you have little children and are way too busy to be carrying cushions in and out. :)

I am assuming that one of those windows in the corner (to the right of one set of sliders, a white chair is underneath one of the windows I'm referring to) is your kitchen window. If so, I would use that as a pass through and put your grill/food preparation area in that corner or near it.

I would put pvc window boxes under the two windows near the kids' table (check those on the opening page at http://therightproducts.com ) and move the hose over off the patio (to the left) and maybe put either two lounge chairs there with a table and/or your market umbrella between them. I would move the kids' table and chairs over to the shady area by the fence on the other side of the grass (your other photo with the pavers). It's hard to keep moving an umbrella to keep the sun off kids, so if that area is reliably shady it would be a better place to park their table and even put a small sandbox or blow up pool.

Your house has a great color, and you have a lot of possibilities! Because your house color is taupe, though, I would go with darker furniture and not the color of the hexagonal set from Sears.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good news, DH just found out what his bonus is and it's more than we expected so I want to do it up right and then we can have a nice fourth of July BBQ party!

kswl: My kids are not that young anymore. :( Two are teenagers (13 and 15) and I have one almost 7-year-old. We are phasing out of the kid stage, hence I was thinking the patio swing. Still a little fun, but also fun for big kids and grownups. If my youngest wants to do the kid thing we take her to the park or the local swim club. The kiddie table you see there is one of the last vestages of kid stuff--use it until it breaks and it's gone! The kitchen window is the smaller window in the corner and the slider is for our breakfast nook, the larger window is 13-year-old DD's room (which gets the setting sun) and other slider is to the master (partically blocked from setting sun by the birch trees so no problem there). I agree about a darker set. I went to Costco and saw the cast aluminum sets and really like the quality if I could find a table I like. What do you think of a 60" round table? I've seen a few online that could work. I know I need to move out the hose reel--at the moment our irrigation system is less than adequate and with a lot of new immature plants I need to hand water some areas until DH has time to supplement with a drip system. I think I need to hire it out but DH wants to DIY--but not much time. :(

annz: I did look at those awnings. They look almost like the pergola we had planned with posts coming down on one side. It was to mount off the sliding wall, extend out and have two posts coming down. We just hated looking out the window at those posts (due to awkwardly placed windows which go under the eaves where normally a post would go down opposite an overhang). There is not room to mount it the other way due to the step which comes flush to the opposite wall. We just did not design this remodel well from an outdoor perspective. I'm wondering if maybe a smaller one that extends off of the window to the right and comes out just to the sliding door. It would mostly then just shield DD's room from the sun, though. Maybe just a larger market umbrella where the pole goes between the window and the slider and put a table there? Here is a straight on view that shows the problem with the way the windows and steps are placed:

I did look at the fireplace pit tables and they are very temping and would work perfect in that space. Anyone have one? I guess the idea is this becomes more a comfy gathering spot than sit at a table and eat. That may be OK with us. I'll have to see what DH thinks about that.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    15 years ago

We're thinking of having patio chairs or a sectional set of some sort with a center fire pit table. Some of the fire pit tables double as a coffee table when not in use for a fire. There is a top piece that covers the round bowl, so it could be used to set drinks or plates on as well.

Jan

• kitchenkelly
    15 years ago

Have you ever looked at the patios on Rate My Space? Lots of good ideas. The below uses two umbrellas.

Also, have you considered adding a tree to your yard? Maybe a small ornamental tree would be nice.

Here is a link that might be useful: cool patio

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

jan: I'm finding the firepit table idea very intriguing. I'm going to look into it some more before deciding.

kitchenkelly: Thanks for the tip to check out rate my space. I'll check into it. I assume you mean a potted tree for additional shade? I used to have a dwarf lemon tree in the barrel you see in the pics, but the water leached out of the barrel and stained the flagstone so I transplanted it. I'm thinking of replacing it though with a large ceramic urn and either transplanting another drawf clementine tree I planted last fall--though it would take awhile to be effective as a shade barrior so perhaps a different tree would be better. I am in love with one of the green leaf Japanese maples with red bark (don't know the name) and want to find a spot for one. Not sure if it would like full sun or not, but that is another thought. I already planted 2 Japanese maples last year and I love them, though they do loose their leaves in winter so maybe some sort of palm would be better. Any suggestions?

I rearranged what I have now and took some more pics at 5PM which shows the shade/sun pattern when the sun is just starting to get low in the sky.

Idea here would be to get one of the sets that has two nice comfy chairs, preferably with ottomen, and a cocktail table and put it where the plastic white chairs are now. The sliding door to the master opens onto this area so a logical spot for 2 chairs if DH and I want to go out in the evening. Should I put the cocktail table where the white planter is? Then replace the picnic table with a patio set with six chairs and either a 60" round, oval, or firepit table.

This pic shows the sun problem by DD's window. Under the window is where I like to put a buffet table when entertaining and is also in full sun. I'm considering a small rectractable awning here that would extend to where the left patio door. Also, I would replace the 1/2 barrel with a larger ceramic urn that would have some sort of tree to help shield DD's bedroom window from the setting sun.

How does this plan sound for starters?

I did get back with my friend no her wrought iron set. It is by Woodard, she has had it for 6 years, out all year long, never covered and no rust so far. I checked the website and they say it is rust proof. I'm linking the set she has which can come with any number of chairs or different table styles. We have a very close relationship and have copied one another in the past so if I were to get the same it would be fine with her. She actually gave me all the particulars as well as two places locally that sell it so I plan to go there Thursday and check it out as well as some other sets. In fact, she just copied me a few weeks ago and now has the same car I bought 6 months ago.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wrought Iron Patio Set

• flyingflower
    15 years ago

Wrought iron that is rust proof, wow. I wonder how they do that. Why would anyone still make wrought iron patio furniture if someone has figured out how to do it so that it never rusts! I really like how black will look against your brown house & black roof. Of course you could use any color of furniture given the neutral color scheme. And it doesnt look this this furniture needs cushions so right there you're saving money, plus you don't have to worry about where to store cushions over the winter.

How hot will it feel to sit on one of these metal chairs in the summer without a cushion? Did you ask her that question? Take a day like today for instance, can she sit in the chair without scorching the back of her legs if she's wearing shorts?

• fnmroberts
    15 years ago

Well, we live in Illinois so undoubtedly our patio lifestyle is different that you will enjoy. Linked below are photos of our patio with various furniture and dining arrangements. Perhaps good for some ideas.

We are in the process now of making valances for the edge of the pergola which will pull down about 3.5' to block late afternoon sun.

Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of our Patio/Gardens

• User
    15 years ago

fnmroberts, I love your patio and gardens! You have achieved the near-impossible (to my way of thinking): you have customized your space to use exactly as it suits YOUR needs, without making it look like a DIY-er's "project of the week." I love the way you've laid out your beds, the flower choices and color combinations (those hyacinths must smell heavenly!)---it all looks very professional. Your grill area with the dedicated light and is that a citronella candle in the holder hanging by there? is absolutely perfect. It looks well-used, too, and that is the final testament to the real livability of any space. Thanks for sharing your back yard :)

• annzgw
    15 years ago

Maybe this is what you're needing!
    You could add at least two to your back yard and use them as needed.

I couldn't figure out which windows are your DD's bedroom but a solution to her room may be to install shutters (inside).

Just some ideas............

Here is a link that might be useful: buying guide

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

fmroberts: You have lovely gardens and outdoor area for entertaining. Thank you for sharing. Almost (but not quite) makes me want to move to Illinois! Here in Bay Area land is VERY expensive so we have to be creative with much smaller spaces.

annz: I was looking at those offset umbrellas yesterday as well. Costco is also selling them. Thanks for all the suggestions. I need to think on this some more. DD's window in the one the rectangular one that is in the corner area. She already has wood blinds that work pretty well, though the room does get hot in afternoon.

flyingflower: This is what the website said about being "rust proof":
    ----------------
    Each Woodard frame is purified and dipped into a bath of zinc phosphates (rust inhibitors) during our state-of-the-art MetalGuard finishing process. Wrought Iron frames are electrostatically coated, creating a permanent seal that locks out rust. They are also finished with the highest quality powder-coat paint finish for durability and beauty.

Woodard continues to hand-craft each piece of wrought iron furniture-a tradition handed down through generations. Combining the heaviest available solid wrought iron stock with the best steel, our individual craftsmen use an anvil and hammer to forge the intricate details found on many Woodard frames.

Woodard designers meticulously study each product style with the goal of preserving authentic designs. Fabrics are selected on the basis of quality, coloration, trend, and in some cases, historical significance. Finish choices range from colorations which are current in vogue to those who are traditional and timeless. Design integrity by Woodard is a reality-not a concept.
    --------------
    That plus my friend's personal experience makes me pretty confident. Her family is from Detroit and BIL works there and so multiple members of the family have these sets and no one has had a problem, even in Detriot. He was to have bought 2 sets for us at annual employee sale, but flaked out for some reason. Anyway, even at retail pricing it's comparable with other cast aluminum sets so most likely we'll get one of the sets by Woodard. She did say her mother uses cushions, though she does not, and her chairs are very comfortable and in a sunnier spot than I've planned. I've been to a few afternoon parties at her house when they just had it under a pergola and some chairs were out in the sun--no one complained of the chairs being hot, but an excellent point to consider. If they did, I would just get the cushions, though would prefer not as the set is going under birch trees which keep it fairly shady plus the leaves and little branches fall down in that area and I'd worry it'd mess up the cushions.

This is what I am thinking of getting:

54" round table:

6-8 rocker chairs (these are soooo comfortable), in either one of these styles:

Briarwood rocker:

Windflower rocker:

I'm not sure if I'll just get two extra rockers with hopes I can squeeze around the table, if needed, but keep where I have the white chairs in pic. above or a nice comfy bistro style lounging set with cushions for that area under the umbrella. I may just start with a set of table, 6 chairs and decide later if I want more chairs or not.
    She told me of a store in Campbell and one in Cupertino that carry the brand locally, though I will shop around on internet for best pricing.

• kitchenkelly
    15 years ago

I probably can't give much advice on trees for you since your zone is a gazillion higher than mine. I love the idea of citrus trees. In MN, there aren't too many japanese maples. The ones I have seen always seem to be very wide so they might not be good for your space.

I like the furniture set!

• fnmroberts
    15 years ago

valinsv

Oh, who would ever consider leaving the Bay Area for the midwest! You have a wonderful patio and I was just thinking that you could create more than one area, not just a table for dining. Our Adirondaks are very comfortable for drinks and conversation, and the wide arms hold plates so we use them for expanded dining. Your proposed table will work well. Our son has the same, or very similar, and those chairs are relaxing and the table does not collect things.

kswl - yours is the nicest compliment ever received. Thank you. Yes, that is a swag candle light and I put whatever candle I have into it. And we do enjoy the outdoor space with lots of family and friends.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

kitchenkelly: I know it is confusing with the maple trees--there are a gazillion varieties. I put one by my front dining window it's maximum height will be no more than 6' as it's a lace leaf variety. I will probably transplant the clementine in a high pot.

fnroberts: I think you are right. I took DH to Costco/Lowes last night and we've decided to put two large comfy stuft chairs each with an ottoman under the umbrella. Costco has a set we think might go with the wrought iron patio set. We will need to mix all weather wicker/aluminum with the wrought iron. We are going to my girlfriend's this weekend to check her set--she has one in pewter and one in black. We are leaning towards the pewter.

• annzgw
    15 years ago

Regarding the tree: from what I see in the photos I don't think you have room to plant a tree that would/could eventually give you shade. A container tree just won't get large enough to cast shade unless you start with a large tree and a *really* large container. Citrus are very slow growing, and maples will find your back yard too hot with the reflected heat from the stone.

I lived nearly 30 yrs in Calif. so I'm familiar with what grows where. Palms can cast a nice filtered shade, but you'd need more than one and I can't see any place for 2-3 of them. Besides that, I don't think they'll go well with your existing landscape.

Give the birches a few more years..........I think you'll get all the shade you'll need.

If DD's room is getting too hot, you may want to check the wall insulation and see if more needs to be added.

• Nasrin_khosrowshahi_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I need fire pits that comes with gas tank