SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mandogirl

credits at closing

mandogirl
16 years ago

Hi, everyone. The sellers of a house we have an appointment to see tomorrow are offering a couple of credits for repairs that a previous inspection (not ours) reported are needed. The credits total 15K.

I asked our REA how credits are generally handled at closing...if the buyers would get cash or what. She said the buyers don't get cash and that the credits are credited toward closing costs, so the buyers have to bring less cash to the table. Does this sound right? What if the closing costs are less than the total credit amount? Cash would have to change hands then, right?

From what my REA said, then, what the sellers would actually be doing is paying 15K of the buyers' closing costs. But this to me is not the same as credits for repairs. It just seems like credits should come out of the purchase amount and should have nothing to do with closing costs; i.e., buyers pays X for house, sellers give buyers back some portion of X, end of that transaction. Closing costs are then a separate transaction.

Is there a general practice for how credits at closing are handled that you're aware of? Does anyone actually walk away with cash at closing after getting credits?

Comments (8)