SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
siobhanny5

Make a contingency offer, or wait?

siobhanny5
16 years ago

We're considering making an offer on a house, contingent on the sale of our house. The backstory, for those who hadn't followed earlier thread:

Went to check out a house in person, even though ours is not yet for sale, because it's in a neighborhood we like and has most everything we want in a house. Saw it a second time over the weekend, and still love the house.

We went over our situation with the listing agent again: We said we have to get our own house ready for sale (we told her we'd need about a month), and asked if the owners would consider a contingency offer. She said a few years ago no one would have, but she said given the market today, yes, the sellers might be open to a contingency offer. I also asked her if she was free to tell me how long were they planning to keep it on, and she said they did not want to show through the holidays. This house listed in early August, so I'm guessing they may have signed a three-month contract. The agent also said we could think about "keeping in touch."

We really like the house, and as far as we can see there are pros and cons to trying to make a contingency offer.

I imagine we'd likely have to bid on the high side for them to accept it. The house is in great shape but a kitchen reno and bathroom remodel would be in our near future, which is an expensive minus. If the sellers did accept our bid, would be nice to not have to start house hunting, but then of course we have to put our house on now (a few months sooner than we originally planned) and show through the holidays. With little kids at home I'm not looking forward to that.

Also, the prices in the market where we're looking are definitely coming down, given the comps I've received. That's a big change from the earlier status where houses only took longer to sell. (However, homes are taking a long time to sell in my area, too.) So we wonder if we're being too rash to bid on the first house we've seen. And we worry about paying too much for this house.

We haven't made a decision, though we've already started clearing out clutter and calling agents to interview in anticipation of selling, if not in a month then sometime after Christmas.

So, given what I've noted here, does making a contingency offer seem like a reasonable idea? Or better to wait, with the understanding we could lose out on this house, which would be sad but won't kill us (I hope)?

As far as the listing agent saying to "keep in touch," what does that even mean, if the sellers don't sell before their contract expires and then take the house off the market? All we know about the sellers is they'd like to move to another town where they'll get more property and had their eye on a couple of houses there. They also seem like very nice people, who are aware of our situation, and I want to do the right thing here.

Thanks....

Comments (27)