SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sivyaleah

Making the Most of a Small Kitchen

Laurie
14 years ago

I *thought* I was going to get a decent sized kitchen out of my up and coming new home. However, now I'm not so sure.

See, it's a bathroom issue. Currently there is a 1/2 bath in the kitchen. Not happy about it, as the entrance is visually unavoidable from every angle in the kitchen. The original entrance to said bathroom was the dining room. Also, unacceptable. There really is not any other place to put this bathroom on the main floor as it's an American Foursquare built in 1915, and a small one at that. Lovely Craftsman style too. Love the house, don't love the bathroom placement.

We thought we could possibly create space under the stairs but really, the headspace entering will be tight, and the cost probably not worth the bother.

Suddenly today, I realized we could relocate the bathroom at the entrance to the kitchen, thereby sort of creating a "hall" effect as you walk in. Of course, we are not gaining the extra space we thought we would be getting by taking out the 1/2 bath completely. In fact, this might make the layout of the kitchen somewhat tighter and the 36" dream range might not be possible any longer.

On the other hand, keeping this bathroom seems a smart move. And since the entrance to the room won't be seen while cooking at all, or while eating a meal - not such a bad choice.

Anyway - that was a round-about way of asking for pictures and ways anyone has managed to create small kitchens of their dreams. I've waited such a long time to be able to design a kitchen according to only what I want, with nobody else telling me what to do - so it's a bit disappointing that it may not be the size I hoped for.

Yet I know it's possible to have a beautiful space, one I'll be happy with and be able to cook enjoyably in for many years to come. So, wow me with yours!

Comments (16)