SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anovaguy

Question regarding future value of planned addition

anovaguy
18 years ago

I am not sure whether this is the right forum to help me with my question.

We are thinking of adding a master bedroom and bath on the main floor of our house. The total square footage of the home - above grade - is 4700 square feet at present. The addition would be for another 800-1000 sq ft.

We currently have a 1200 sq ft master bedroom suite on the second floor but as we get older, we are finding climbing up and down the stairs is becoming an increasing strain especially for my wife who has early stage arthritis. An elevator is not an option given the floor plan.

We anticipate staying in this house for at least another 6 years or so. I estimate the cost of this addition will be approximately $150 per square foot.

My question is as to the likelihood of recovering a substantial portion of the cost of the addition down the line when we sell the house.

The house even with the added investment - which would bring the total of the above grade square footage to approximately 5700 sq feet - will be in line with other homes in the neighborhood since our home is in the mid-range of these homes in terms of current valuations.

Selling the house and moving into one with a first floor master bedroom is an option we have considered but when one factors the real estate commission and other related expenses it seems not to make economic sense. Besides we love our house, the neighborhood and location.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor