SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
punky5656punky

Remodel whole house-any idea of cost

Punky5656
11 years ago

Hi All,
I have been an avid reader and researcher here forever. So much great info.
Here is our situation: we recently bought a 3600 sq ft. 1920 brick colonial in a lovely Northern New Jersey neighborhood. Its live-able, but severely outdated and not our style. We want to remodel almost everything. The only thing that will be untouched are the living room and attic.
We plan to do the following:
rip out 3 and a half baths down to studs, remodel using HD marble and glass tiles (all the way to ceiling), Kohler Archer fixtures, tubs, toilets, etc. Restoration Hardware lighting.
Rip out entire kitchen (14 x 17) to studs. replace tile floor with hardwood. Move plumbing to accommodate new kitchen design,Viking appliances, Kraft maid shaker cabinets and island, honed cararra marble tops for counter and island. Elkay extra deep sink and moen faucet. Drawer pulls and additional detail TBD.
Rip out laundry room to create mud room (create cubbies. shelves, etc). install slate floors in mudroom.
Take out all "stucco" walls and ceiling in den. Replace with drywall and shaker molding.
Remove carpet in 4 rooms (1000 sq ft) and replace with Espresso Taun ($4.50 sq foot). There is only a subfloor under carpet.
Removal of 11 hollow core doors (30 x 80) and replace with Jeldwen 5 panel shaker doors. Hardware TBD.
Install paver patio in yard...approx 400 sq ft. Paver material TBD.

Of course there will be a million little things that I am forgetting and will come along during the job......
We just closed yesterday, and of course we will be doing a budget prior to removing even a single nail. My husband plans to oversee all the construction, using a crew (3 guys) that he worked on another construction job with. The guys are about $120/day.

So.......here's the question....if we were to try and power through and do it all at once, any idea what the WHOLE thing will cost (labor, materials, apppliances, tiles, etc). and how long it would take??? Not expecting anyone to actually add thngs up, but what is your gut reaction cost?

I am not naive, and realize that our dream of doing it all at once will probably not happen....but we have also (sort of) embraced the idea of a long, slow, loving process, allowing us to live in the space and "feel" our way to the right decisions.
I won't be offended by any answers, so hit me! Getting prepared for some serious sticker shock. In any case, we are so happy to finally be among the homeowners here that have a vision of how to turn a house into a home! Thanks all!

Comments (12)