SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarapamela_gw

Advice Needed: Cutting Back Narrow Cabinet at an Angle??

sarapamela
18 years ago

We have a 9" tray cabinet to the left side of our dishwasher. We are removing the countertop, and I wondered if, once we get the top off, it is possible to cut the narrow cabinet back at an angle (to give us more clearance as we walk between this run of cabinets and a new island cabinet which will run perpendicular towards it)

I envision a "clipped corner" look, which would give us a few more inches clearance. The island will also have some angled and clipped corners. I think it would be good to have a little more space between that corner and the end of the island. Is this ever done?

Would the cabinet door then be at a 45 degree angle?

If it is "do-able", is it hard to do? What tool would be best to use? I am also concerned about how to get the width of the door cut and have the door (raised panel without mitered corners) still look ok... OR could we keep the opening the same width so we could reuse the same door, just place it at an angle farther back?? If it matters, the hinges are the exposed ones that were popular 20-25 years ago.

I guess we could remove the whole tray cabinet, but the upper cabinets would then extend beyond the countertop... Guess we could move the cabinet to the right just a few inches, but then the wall space on either side of the sink would vary quite a bit and it might look odd...

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Here is a link that might be useful: Is It Hard to Cut Back This Cabinet At An Angle? What About Door???

Comment (1)