SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

How many change WTs with the seasons?

2ajsmama
14 years ago

Just wondering - maybe it's a regional thing (having to do with sunlight, old houses, drafty windows?) or maybe it's a generational thing. My mom was here and saw the piece of brocade I had folded over a rod in the kitchen. I asked here if it was too formal for the space, though I liked the colors with my FR Romans. She thought it was too heavy, liked the linen scarf instead (she said her mom didn't make it, she has a whole bedspread that she *did* crochet, so gave me permission to "use it up").

Then she told me I might want to use the brocade in the winter. I was just wondering - she changes her WTs with the season (or at least twice/yr), using heavy lined fabrics in the winter and light gauzy ones in the summer. Maybe it's b/c that's what her mom did, or b/c until they replaced the windows a few years ago, the single-paned windows were very cold and drafty. But in a new, well-insulated house with double-paned windows, I would just leave the WTs up all year, make sure they're neutral so I can change out throw pillows and such with the seasons. Or maybe even switch them the *opposite* way - light and gauzy in the winter, when we *want* the little bit of sun we get to shine in, and heavier in the summer, when we want to block much of the passive solar and the glare. That's what I've been doing with my double Romans - pull the light-filtering shade (as well as the sheer) down during the heat of the day, leave the sheer down or both layers up during the cooler part of the day and during the winter.

But as expensive as WTs are (full-length drapes and custom Romans anyway), I can't see the expense of owning two sets for every room? Not to mention that I think rods should change too - light metal rods for gauzy fabrics, heavier (wooden?) rods for heavy drapes.

What do you do and why?

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!