SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mimi_2006

Need opinions...window shades or a better idea?

mimi_2006
14 years ago

I put full plantation shutters in my home on all windows but these. I had the bright idea that the breakfast area would look cute with cafe shutters and a valance. It took nearly 2 years to get around to having the valance made and now I'm still not satisfied. In the summer months the sun pours through the upper windows. It hits the table and some of the cabinets. And I realize it's also probably fading the back of the valance. This morning as we had a late breakfast the sun was shining in DH's face. So today is the day the switch went on in my head to do something about it. The only solution I see is to put roller shades up that I can pull down to the top of the shutters. I'm hoping/assuming that I can get some attractive cloth ones? They wouldn't show when raised, but should I get colored ones? just cream? The other issue is that the window is too tall to just reach up and pull the shades up and down. I'd need a ring hanging down with maybe a short pole with a hook on the end to grab the ring.

So my question is, before I rush out and make a mistake, do any of you have any bright ideas or suggestions for what I can put up there to solve the problem? It crossed my mind that I could have shutters made for the upper windows, but I really do kind of like the look of the half shutters with valance and the sun is only a serious problem for a few months out of the year, and a couple of hours in the morning during those months. Thanks for any advice, opionions, or suggestions :-)

Comments (8)