SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momof3kids_pa

Kitchen #2. No Dishwasher? Major Cost Cutting?

momof3kids_pa
15 years ago

Has anyone remodeled and due to space opted to not have a dishwasher? Alternatively, if anyone has a vacation home without a dishwasher, do you really miss it?

We are in the process of buying a vacation home. I'd like to remodel the kitchen (yikes, here we go again!! and, to top it off, I need to do the whole thing for under 1k!!)

I'm thinking because we'd mostly only be there on the weekends and mostly in the summer (bbq-ing), I could get by without it. It is a small trailer, 2 bdrm, and we're a family of 5 - but would most likely have frequent guests. The kitchen is really small and like I said I'm on a super tight budget with this. Here are a couple thoughts I have on it:

*the cheapest ikea cabinets (they are the least expensive, right?)

*no uppers, open shelving (that saves money, right?)

*the cheapest ikea laminate

*no backsplash

*no dishwasher

*Home Depot has an $18 faucet and $29 sink

*all work done ourselves (and my brother the contractor who lives right next door!)

I believe the fridge is ok. We may need a new range. I need to get back in there to measure and take pictures. I'm really just trying to pre-plan and see if the kitchen is doable on that budget (settlement aimed for beginning of June).

Oh, and we never plan to sell it, ever. Actually, we may tear down the trailer in 5 + years and build a real house and move there! Another reason we don't want to spend much on this remodel - but it's current condition is HORRENDOUS and I could not function there in that state.

Comments (32)