SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meg_wilson2

Cutting hole in stick-built cabinets for dishwasher - DIY?

Project Tackler
7 years ago

We are planning a gut-and-remodel to our 1968 kitchen in the next year or so, but for the time being, we decided not to wait any longer on getting a dishwasher. I cook a lot and we have a big family --- and like to entertain --- so washing dishes has now become a "hobby," and I'd rather spend my free time doing other stuff!

Waiting on a quote from a general handyman on getting a hole cut to the right of the sink for the 24" Bosch dishwasher on order. He told us it's mandatory to remove formica countertop to do the job. I've read up on it and evidently 50% say that and 50% say you can work around the countertop as is.

Quote hasn't come in yet, but he hinted that it will be a $$$ job. My father-in-law does a lot of DIY work and though he's never done this job exactly, offered to do it if the price is too steep. Is something like this do-able and wise for a DIY'er? Or is this best left to professionals? What things should we be aware of/will we possibly run into? I've searched YouTube for tutorials but can't find much. Seems most of the dishwasher installs on YouTube are more up-to-date box-style cabinets, evidently a MUCH easier job.

(If it were permanent, I'd go with the professional for sure. But knowing that in a little while we'll be starting over with brand new cabinets -- keeping same dishwasher and reinstalling in space created for it -- not sure it's worth sourcing out this job. It doesn't have to be pristine and pretty. Just don't want any open gaps.)

(PS -- electrical and plumbing will be done by professionals. Getting a disposal installed at the same time.)

Pic below. Starting the cut where sink edge ends, so will lose half of under-sink kitchen door all the way over to the end of the adjacent drawer and cabinet door; right at 24". Floor to bottom of formica countertop is exactly 36".

Thanks!

Comments (33)