SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leahcate

Germ and Bedbug Paranoia: Upholstery Fabric?

leahcate
12 years ago

Finding the just-right fabric for a new upholstery job, I cart it home and, thanks to my wonderfully sensitive nose :>/, I detect an aroma that isn't awful, but does remind me from whence it came: a large, warehousey store where I've often found deals on fabric. Kind of an old , dusty smell, reminiscent of my granny's basement from days of yore . Never thought to smell my fabric in the past, but with today's paranoia I found myself wondering: Hmmmm. Since it's a Rayon-cotton blend I won't wash it. Dry clean it? Anyway, it Got me wondering if any of you have had this same question.

Comments (14)

• User
    12 years ago

Oh definitely. Most recently, when I was trying various styles of drapery panels on our windows, I got some from Bed Bath and Beyond that smelled so bad, I couldn't sit in the chair next to the window while they were up. I thought they'd air out but nope, it was not like anything I had ever smelled before. When I was packing them up, I worried I had brought new guests to the house.

If the fabric smells, I would either return it or get it dry cleaned.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

I'd lay it on sheets in the driveway and top with a sheet. Let it bake all day.

• avadoone
    12 years ago

Before spending any money, try letting it sit in the sun on a bright day. If you can hang it up to let air flow through it, even better.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

The sun could fade the fabric possibly so I'd keep it covered. Laying a sheet and some black plastic would heat it up even more.

• leahcate
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's what I did: cut off a piece from bottom, sprayed with Fabreeze ( I know there's some criticism re.Fabreeze over in conversations) and put out on the sun until dry...about 20 mins. Smells great, or rather, no smell...even better. No sun bleaching in that short time frame, either. So, I'm okay with my fabric, but boy! I am so conscious of the possibilities...just hate it. Need a new mattress and wonder if I'll lie in bed at night after ordering wondering what's going on in the warehouse, or truck, where mine might be contaminated...oh good grief!
    Saying this tongue in cheek and grinning....sorta:>/

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

How will you ever go to a hotel again?

Sometimes I long for my youth, when I sat on the floor of any place, went barefoot, ate anything, slept anywhere, hand sanitizer hadn't been invented( or the internet), rode miles on my ten speed sipping a coke using only my knees to steer (handless, I was proud of it),

anyway, I and countless others, survived.

• User
    12 years ago

I'd sit it outside in the sun. I wouldn't think a day or so would hurt the fabric. Depending on where you live though, that may not be the case as I hear the sun is brutal in some parts. The sun does wonders for removing smells. Just recently DH had clothes in his vehicle when a can of gasoline spilled. SUPER strong stink. I put them out in the sun for a few days and the smell is completely gone. I did later wash the clothes and they're fine.

• leahcate
    Original Author
    12 years ago

BB , I loved your memories, so like mine....sigh. It could take me on a whole new tangent re. the bike rides, of how restricted our kids are today for fear( rightfully so, sad to say) of the monsters among us...but I won't go there :>/ That I take the germs/bugs with a grain of salt and move on, doesn't mean I don't think about it....yuk. I think the rationale behind the germ phobia actually began after the Vietnam war and influx of refugees from other lands, bringing strange new germs, and has gradually grown from there. A Brave( gotta be!)
    New World;>)
    shee, I know! The sun can also do wonders to whiten old, yellowed linens. I use Martha Stewart's tip and lay them on the grass after washing gently, and sprinkling with lemon. Works well, especially if you don't want the harshness of chlorine.

• mjsee
    12 years ago

SOAP BOX RANT WARNING!

OK--I'm just going to say it. The incidence of child molestation/kidnapping/etc. by strangers is NO HIGHER NOW than it was when we were kids and rode our bikes everywhere. The difference is the 24 hour news cycle and the immediacy of news...and how quickly word spreads. Truly.

I let my kids have the same level of freedom I had...with a couple of differences.
    1) Mine road in carseats.
    2) Mine wore bicycle helmets.
    (Which, looking back, I wish had been available in the 60's/early '70's.)

/END RANT

• leahcate
    Original Author
    12 years ago

mjsee, that's not a rant, it's a legitimate belief. Trouble is proving you are...and how I hope you are...correct. If there is definitive proof, I've not heard it. I have read that horrendous crimes in general are higher because of today's wide-sweeping, all pervasive news and copy-caters. Surely there have been studies and the stats are available. I've just not been made aware of it.
    On the other hand, if the stats are the same and we were just less aware of it back in the day, would we not have been more protective then, too, had we known?
    i did not allow my children, nor does my daughter allow my grandchildren to ".... let my kids have the same level of freedom I had..." and here's why:
    Over 40 years ago, at age ten, while walking 6 blocks to my grandmothers house I was attacked by a man. Fortunately, I was rescued and unharmed. Also as a young girl while out bike riding and/or walking to school, I was approached and/or 'flashed' on several occasions. I was grabbed and quickly( harmlessly and scarily) groped by a man during an afternoon movie I was attending with my older eleven year old brother.
    So my philosophy was this: I would rather over-protect and see them grow up safely. It seemed to do no harm as both graduated college and fearlessly wandered the world, tramping through jungles and living in huts with strangers or alone. My grown children are coping me in this with their kids.
    So, mjsee, I'm not calling you out as wrong. I'm simply explaining why I did not give my children the same freedom I had in my not- always halcyon days of yore.
    Though it would not change my mind, I would really be comforted to learn that crime has NOT escalated, so if you've a link or can direct me to a source, please do! TIA!
    Oh! I was going to apologize to the OP for taking this adrift, but see it was me re. smelly fabric! See this is why we should never complain when our posts are taken off-course. It can be like conversing on here, and isn't this last bit far more interesting than bedbugs, germs or smelly fabric?! :>)

• mjsee
    12 years ago

leahcate--didn't have time to do a thorough search...but I'll link an interesting article. It's a history article from OSU.Unfortunately...I can't find the news article I read a year or so ago that laid out the stats...and all the sites that are turning up in my brief search are obviously slanted. I'm linking the one scholarly brief I had time to find.

It is true, however, that if one is living in an socio-economically deprived urban situation one is at greater risk. Not for kidnapping or molestation, but for being caught in the middle of gang/drug/etc violence.

Here is a link that might be useful: Child Kidnapping in America

• leahcate
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for link, mjsee. This has turned into an interesting subject that should be over in conversations!

• mjsee
    12 years ago

Yeah...I know. Sorry all! (I keep forgetting there IS a conversation side...didn't exist back when I joined...a lifetime or three ago!)

;^)

• lazy_gardens
    12 years ago

That musty smell is just old fabric smell

If it's rayon-cotton, hang it on the outdoor closethline for a while and let it air.