SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kellyd743_gw

Designer help - semi gloss now for all surfices?

kellyd743
12 years ago

I want a blank canvas to show off furntiure,reclaimed, distressed hardwood floors, and architexture. My friend/designer recommends painting the ceiling, walls, and trim the same shade of white (happens to be SW Reserved White) which I am fine with. She also wants it ALL to be semi-gloss. My painter (76 year old father) and husband are hesitant. Have y'all seen this and is it a good look? This is happening in nearly every room on my main floor so I can't afford a mistake! Btw, my windows and doors will be painted a darker shade - Urban Bronze.

THANKS!!!!

Comments (31)

• User
    12 years ago

I'm not sure how it would look with the particular scheme that your designer recommends, but I can say that I hated semigloss on my walls. I'm in the process of repainting now using an eggshell finish and it's so much prettier. To me (and at least in my own home), the semigloss finish looks a bit cheap.

• lynxe
    12 years ago

I did a mudroom/laundry room in an eggshell finish, and that is more than plenty shiny for me. I used eggshell only because that room also is the one we pass through to get outside, and because I often keep plants and such in the room.

Semigloss...you'd better have perfect surfaces and your father had better be an expert painter. Not to mention, you'll want top of the line brushes and rollers. And even assuming all that, I have a hard time envisioning your spaces as remotely relaxing.

• Related Discussions

Semi-Gloss paint trouble

Q

Comments (2)
    The legs are easier because they are small. The top is just more difficult because it is a greater surface area. You want to paint it so that the entire area is wet at the same time and dries down that way. This is what is known as keeping the wet edge. You may need to use a roller to get the paint on quickly and then use your brush to back brush the paint out evenly. Touch ups will probably always show.
    ...See More

Semi-gloss paint for walls, trim and ceiling?

Q

Comments (3)
    It's okay if you are willing to overlook what high sheen does to wall surfaces. Every flaw in every surface will now be amplified. Some designers don't even consider that. I think this look is fine in an older house with old wavy plaster walls that are probably not going to look that good no matter what sheen you use.
    ...See More

semi gloss or gloss?

Q

Comments (13)
    I used gloss on all of my woodwork and I can't see my reflection :oP I'm old fashioned so I like gloss for woodwork when it's not oil based. But in today's paint world, good paint in semi gloss is as strong as the gloss so either will work. Be sure to use a bond's and seals primer prior to painting in a latex if you have oil based paint already. If you don't, all of your hard work will go to heck because when the paint dries....you can literally peel it off like fruit leather. Don't ask how I know that....
    ...See More

Wood trim paint problem - semi gloss over satin question

Q

Comments (23)
    Lukkiirish and Paintguy22: thanks so much for hanging in here with me. Earlier today I emailed SW corporate asking if there were any health risks associated with using A-100 indoors and if yes, what is the fix. They say they will respond within 48 hours so I should have something in writing soon. I will update the folks here when I get the 411. In the meantime, I plan to send an email to the GC asking him to verify with the local office that indoor use is an approved use, that it poses no health hazard and that I can sand it and paint over it with any paint of my choice when the time comes. I guess I should send another inquiry off to corporate asking the same exact thing. I'm not out of the woods, but I'm feeling much better. Thank you all again. Honu
    ...See More
  • User
    12 years ago

That's the thing with semigloss - imperfections are going to be magnified. Since my home is older and most definitely has warts on the walls (;-)), that's precisely why it looked so cheap in my house! I initially knew very little about eggshell when I went with it, but my trusted Benjamin Moore rep convinced me by saying that "nobody really uses semigloss for walls".

• regina_phalange
    12 years ago

What is her reasoning for the semi-gloss? I will admit that I wished I had used semi-gloss in some of the rooms that my children spend a lot of time in. I took the satin paint right off the wall when I was cleaning the wall with a washcloth a few days ago.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    12 years ago

If you were able to wash the paint off the wall with a wash cloth, the problem isn't that you didn't use semi-gloss.

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

I used a pearl Finish on my walls in my family room and living room and dining room which is not as shiny as satin but shinier than eggshell and I love the walls which I see no shine but to me the walls look rich and not chalky. I used semi-gloss on my trim since the painter did not want to use high close but I wish I used high gloss on the trim since to me the BM White Semi-gloss trim is not shiny enough. I love trim to pop!

I used Semi-Gloss in my bathroom and I like it despite it being a little bit shiny but on non-bathroom walls, I think it is just too much.

• regina_phalange
    12 years ago

Funcolors -- what was the problem then?

• User
    12 years ago

I personally wouldn't do everything in semigloss either. Is her house painted like that?

My trim/doors is semi gloss (also like glossy for trim/doors),my ceilings are flat, walls are flat and eggshell except my one bathroom is in satin and I don't care for the sheen. I'm using BM Aura in our other bathroom which is to be an excellant matte paint.

What's your gut telling you?

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    12 years ago

Adhesion. If the surface was prepared properly and ready for a new coat of paint, it would not release a new coat that easily.

I mean have you ever tried to get dried paint off of some place it did not belong - where ya didn't want it? Takes a lot more than a wet washcloth and the amount of elbow grease ya have to load behind to achieve noticeable removal results requires Hulk-sized biceps.

Even cheap paint sticks to properly prepped substrates so it's usually not the quality of the new, top coat paint. That's not a conclusive statement, however, because with cheaper grades you get a lesser quality of performance property. It is feasible to be able to wash off cheap paint even if proper prep was done.

So, really it all depends on the specific situation. But adhesion and/or cheaper paints are good places to start trying to figure out what/where things went awry.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    12 years ago

Should probably also take this opportunity to mention (one more time) that gloss levels are not consistent brand to brand.

Ben Moore Aura Matte is equivalent to some other brand's eggshell. One brands semi-gloss can be shinier than another's full gloss, etc.

There is no industry set standard that dictates a gloss level scale to qualify dead flat, flat, matte, pearl, eggshell, satin, semi-gloss, gloss, etc. It's all brand specific.

• regina_phalange
    12 years ago

Thanks for the information! The wall in question in is the hallway between my kitchen and the dining room. My three young sons and half of the neighborhood kids walk between these two rooms countless times a day...with grubby hands. It looks like they wipe their hands and their whole bodies all over it as they walk through, blah. It's also the first wall I see when I walk in the house from the garage. So I end up washing the wall more than once a week. It's hard to clean and I do have to scrub. I thought it might be easier to clean with semi-gloss. Perhaps I did not prep the wall properly so I will look it up and see if there is anything I can do about that now. Paint is Valspar No VOC and I have not been happy with the quality.

• lynxe
    12 years ago

We are in the process of highjacking this thread, regina, so one more comment only (all the while realizing we should probably be discussing this on its on thread!), but another possibility is that your walls may not have had time to cure before grubby people were brushing against them and you were, futilely and with great frustration, attempting to erase the evidence of the little monsters' passage.

Back to the topic, yes to funcolors's thought that the designer friend saw "wow" photos in magazines. I've been seeing, from time to time, super shiny walls and even ceilings, done to give the impression of lacquer. They have a real Wow Factor. They are also, usually, done in a very sophisticated way (red walls, for example, in a stunningly expensive looking library with custom shelves edged in brass and so on), and the surfaces apparently can have as many as SEVEN coats of paint. No doubt Fine Paints of Europe or Donald Kaufman or something. And possibly with some kind of protective finish as well.

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

not a fan of semi gloss on the walls.

If I were going with a dark color, very dark color, and the walls were perfect, and I had the perfect painter, I would go High Gloss. I love the mirrored look you can get. But semi-gloss? It reminds me of "I want to do the High Gloss, but am chicken so this is almost as cool".

My batrhoom was semi gloss when I painted it in that blue because Valspar's bath paint is that shiny. I think it was part of the problem.

My foyer ceiling that is dark is High Gloss and I love that.

Google "Elle Decor High Gloss" in images.

• mclarke
    12 years ago

This is happening in nearly every room on my main floor so I can't afford a mistake!

In my opinion, it would be a mistake. A big one.

If you're trying to showcase your furniture, you'll want your walls and ceilings to recede. Semi-gloss won't give you that. Semi-gloss will give you a harsh, attention-demanding surface that will compete with your furniture and your artwork.

You're looking for a gallery effect -- where the objects in the room take focus, rather than the room itself. Semi-gloss won't do it for you.

And here's something else to consider... Semi-gloss on the walls creates a room with a very hard sound. All the sounds in the room will bounce and echo, just enough to create a certain subliminal level of stress. Like living in a tiled bathroom.

Ask your "designer/friend" if she has done (or would do) this in her own house. It's not a good idea.

• alex9179
    12 years ago

Another vote for no. My house was painted in a bandaid-colored semigloss for "resale purposes" by the previous owners. It was AWFUL. Not only was the color bad, but the imperfections leapt out at you and there were many. Why would she highlight the walls instead of the cool elements? I love Beekeeperswife's entry but her intent and focus makes it work. Sounds like your friend needs to narrow her focus a bit.

• coastal_modern_love
    12 years ago

Hey Kelly, please tell us a bit more of your design style! If it is anything like the Elle Decor shots referenced (I saw this publication in person) your space would definitely look cool, trendy some may say, but definitely cool! I would not do the whole house though. I would choose a sitting room or hallway that needs a wow factor and has the furniture and decor to "outshine" the walls and ceiling. It is a trendy look and of course trends cycle. I know someone who has a modern house with architectural beams and 20 ft ceilings all in white and did some smaller accent walls and hallways in a super high gloss turquoise a few years ago and it looks amAzing!!!! But it truly goes with her architecturally modern home and decor. I say go for it in a smaller area. After all it's only paint right? And post some pics of your space for more feedback. I also know someone with a Victorian home, 12" molding and 14 ft high ceiling on first floor who painted, I should say lacquered the ceiling in a vibrant plum color, white walls, modern take on rococo furnishings and design. Very cool as well!

I have a round wall in my front entry that is currently painted a deep ocean blue/green that I plan on changing to a high gloss lacquered dark gray. I can't wait, as this is my next project that will include foyer floors, attached half bath and front door with windows and re-doing the stairs to second floor and hall. This is where I choose to do something unexpected that can easily and inexpensively be changed out if ever I feel it is "old". After all- look at faux finishes. People paid so much $$$ for custom faux finishes a few years back and now they are stuck with sponged and feathered walls that they feel terrible covering. Gloss paint is the cost of the gallon. Especially since you have FIL and DH doing the work! Nothing to cry over.
    P.S. Check out beekeeperswife's dark brown gloss ceiling, very cool indeed!!!

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

The second home that my DH and I purchased, and our first resale home had white semi gloss walls everywhere. It was like living in a hospital or institution. The first thing I did in that house was paint! Actually the second thing because I had to use a deglosser on all the walls before I could paint them.

• paulines
    12 years ago

I like the idea, especially with white paint.

The juxposition of shimmery white walls, distressed hardwood and good architecture works in my mind...but then again, that's a scary place.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    12 years ago

Everywhere seems to be the sticking point. (no pun intended regina! lol!)

Gloss used in innovative ways in a space isn't the issue for me. Because highly lacquered, stategically chosen walls done with high quality materials is a different discussion. Very different from a couple three or five gallons of semi-gloss from The Home Depot applied to every paintable surface in an empty room.

So many good points made in this thread, so many good things to consider. Like terriks' mention of whatcha gonna do when it's time to paint over the gloss?

• moonshadow
    12 years ago

My vote without hesitation would be "No, don't go there".
    Many of my reasons having already been stated above.

I was curious to see this look so spent time perusing google images. Below are some whites, starting from flat and working up to semi-gloss, then gloss.

First is from a designer's blog. I'm unfamiliar with her, and per blog comments, she is apparently known for frequent use of white on white. Likes to use varying shades & sheens of white to 'differentiate between details' such as molding, walls, built-in cabinetry, etc. Such as flat on walls, semi-gloss on molding in a tad different shade, etc. Not my style, yet I like this one. To my eye the walls aren't competing for attention, and the subtle shade change & semi-gloss finish on woodwork adds a bit of interest & distinction without being overbearing.

I'm having a very hard time finding a furnished place done in all white semi-gloss. Did find a couple empties. Below is the one with largest room view, tho the walls are paneled, if they were drywall or plaster the sheen level would be close. Per the blog the entire room has a 'fresh coat of bright white semi-gloss':

And last but not least, white on steroids. ;) This one goes up a notch in sheen, to high gloss white. The article raved you can actually see 'taxi-cab lights reflected on the ceiling at night- on the 39th floor'. Based on comments that was not a plus. ;)

• User
    12 years ago

kellyd743-

I have noticed a lot more high gloss walls in design mags lately, I do think it's a trend, there has been so much matte the pendulum has to swing the other way. I do like the look and think the juxtaposition of reclaimed wood, beams and strong architectural elements against semi gloss could work and be really striking, but as others have noted, the semi will show imperfections more than a matte, so if you are OCD about paint, it will take lots of work for it to satisfy you.

Good luck-

sandyponder

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

My painters, who slum when they work for me, did a high gloss room for a client. Since the room wasn't freshly plastered (genuine plaster), they did SEVEN coats of joint compound all sanded smooth in between. Funcolors said "marble" and that is about the surface of the joint compound when done. The painter wanted to do more, but budget was getting expensive. I have seen it on imperfect (plaster) walls and the effect is "bohemian" in and older house, but I don't knowt that it would look great in a typical house.

• cangelmd
    12 years ago

Tread lightly!
    We have a vacation cabin that has a big living area with a 2 story ceiling and a 2 story tall fireplace. The walls are Sheetrock and the ceiling is wood paneled. The room opens directly into the dining area and kitchen.
    We painted the fireplace and one wall of the dining room with a chocolate brown semi-gloss.
    I wanted the sheen and the drama, particularly over the fireplace. It looks amazing from a distance, then you notice the little defects in the wall and the place they didn't quite stain kill properly.
    I think it works because it is a vacation home and no one looks at it all day long and because I covered most of the defects in the wall with doors, a canoe, and hanging plates.
    I think it can look good, but as an accent not the entire wall

• amysrq
    12 years ago

Semi-gloss on the walls creates a room with a very hard sound. All the sounds in the room will bounce and echo, just enough to create a certain subliminal level of stress. Like living in a tiled bathroom.

Never heard this before....mclarke, where did you find this information?

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I love the idea of gloss and wish I had been bolder with some of ours. I painted our master ceiling a dark purple in eggshell and I love how the light shines against it at night. I had wanted to go with more gloss since it is new sheetrock and should be smooth, but everyone said not to. If I ever repaint it, I will listen to my own heart.

I love how our Cabinat Coat looks on the moldings when wet and wish it had more sheen dry as well. That pic above that gets cabs lights reflected in the city is awesome to me. I love the semi gloss paneling in the pic above it as well. Someone in the kitchens forum used a beadboard ceiling done with gloss and it is phenomenal.

I guess I am just a huge fan of glossier paint and think you should try it out. Some colors can pull it off and white is a prime example. Other colors were meant to be matte. It reminds me of car paint. On some models a color can be great and not work on others. Paint is like that. If you have the right color and it is done well, gloss can look really special. I love how it has a wow factor without truly "shouting". Think of how lipstick looks, with or without gloss.....

• kellyd743
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow, thanks for all the input and suggestions. In truth we are NOT very vogue - just a real couple with three young boys who often host very casual and impromtu gatherings for friends and neighbors. I am not interested in high drama. Life provides enough of that. So, yesterday we used eggshell on walls and ceilings for the 1st coat. Seems like a happy medium. I may chose a gloss for the trim once it goes up, and if I don't like the ceilings today (it was getting dark when we left) we'll go down one step. Either way, thanks for taking the time to respond and from saving me from a life inside a marble. :)

• mclarke
    12 years ago

Kellyd, thanks for coming back and letting us know your decision. Whew! You made the right choice.

Semi-gloss on the walls creates a room with a very hard sound. All the sounds in the room will bounce and echo, just enough to create a certain subliminal level of stress. Like living in a tiled bathroom.

Never heard this before....mclarke, where did you find this information?

Hahaha, Amy... I "found" this information first-hand -- from the year I spent with a trendy roommate who painted her whole room, ceiling and all, semi-gloss lavender. Eeeeek! [Imagine an echo... eeeek,eeek,eeek....]

• HU-500834650
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I realize this post is 8 years old! I am about to paint my whole house semigloss white - walls, ceilings, shutters, doors, trim. And here is why I am choosing semigloss: For the paint I'm using (Dunn Edwards Everest... low VOC) I have a choice between eggshell and semigloss (Satin is not a choice, but I probably could mix the two if I REALLY wanted satin in this paint). I know eggshell is not enough sheen for me because I tried out a bathroom in eggshell white, color "Bohemian Lace" by SW. The thing about white is, the sheen doesn't show as much as in darker colors, because the "glare" is white! :) My eggshell white walls in the bathroom looked sort of like primer. They had some sheen but in white... it looked like primer.

Then I painted a bedroom in semigloss white, color Swiss Coffee by Benjamin Moore. I LOVE it. It is NOT too shiny in my kid's bedroom. It feels clean and dependable, not fragile and boring like a more matte color. And the color is a comforting off-white (it's white, but not too bright). The ceilings are painted too. My walls and ceiling are drywall with a nice brush-texture to it and I like to show off that texture. Art work looks nice on it too.

So next ... painting my whole house like that bedroom. My tile is dark terra cotta saltillo-look which darkens the house a bit so I'm excited to brighten everything up and highlight my walls :)

In the end I think the house will be comforting and cheerful, reminding me of my childhood for reasons I can't explain (something about the simplicity of it), and to the touch the semigloss walls have that "clean" durable feeling when I run my hand along them. I know there will be some glare, and I'll need to soften the surroundings with curtains and fuzzy pillows and plants :) but I look forward to that challenge. NOTE: I would NOT paint all walls/ceilings semi-gloss in a color other than white because the glare would be too noticeable on darker or even even pale colors.

• Ozbloke36 Empty
    3 years ago

Lol gloss levels do not a difference with sound. We just did our whole house in semi gloss as I wanted a brighter place (in white) and love it. Did high gloss on the door frames as a contrast and ceilings were done by the builder but either low sheen or matt.

Just really nice. The only echo we got is when we removed all our furniture for the painting, putting it back, zero difference than prior.

But I'd recommend it, unlike the others on here.

• Ozbloke36 Empty
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Lol gloss levels do not a difference with sound. We just did our whole house in semi gloss as I wanted a brighter place (in white) and love it. Did high gloss on the door frames as a contrast and ceilings were done by the builder but either low sheen or matt.

Just really nice. The only echo we got is when we removed all our furniture for the painting, putting it back, zero difference than prior.

But I'd recommend it, unlike the others on here.

• My house has a lot of stone and marble etc so perhaps a different style,so I wouldn't be so quick to say no like all the others have, it truly depends on what else you have happening in the place, 100% not just a blanket no, very closed minded.