SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
imtoni

Ocean City, MD

Toni S
15 years ago

Ocean City looks like an interesting place to visit.

If you have ever been there or know about Ocean City, I'd love to hear you experiences.

We'll be traveling to Washington DC for the sights, Luray,VA, to river raft, and Mount Vernon for a plantation tour.

I'd like to visit Fredericksburg, and Ocean City too. I have Googled OC but my mind is going on overdrive with all the info. I think I'd rather have some personal experiences to help me decide where to go. My children have informed me we have to visit the beach.:) So do you think Ocean City is alright or are there other beaches (in that area) that are better IYO? I need to get on this because hotels are booking fast. Toni

Comments (28)

• sharon_fl
    15 years ago

Toni,
    Haven't been to OC since 1954, BUT..lived in Luray for some time! If you must dine while in Luray? Definitely-go to the Parkhurst Motel & restaurant..not fancy but incredible food there!
    I was food & beverage mgr at the MIMSLYN Inn right in town-literally looked like Mt Vernon on a hill! Maybe enjoy the Luray Cavern while there..awesome! Have fun. Shar

• azzalea
    15 years ago

Last time I was in OC, MD, was about 20 years ago. It was one of those terrible, over-developed, over-priced, over-crowded places that leave you wondering why you thought to go there in the first place. I'm sure it hasn't improved since. They'd built high rise hotels all along the beach, so unless you're willing to spring for an expensive, oceanside room in one of those, you won't have much shot at a view of the ocean or any ocean breeze.

If you're looking for a pleasant relaxing vacation, I really don't think you'll find it in OC, sorry.

Why don't you head north to Cape May? You can take the ferry to get there--a fun experience in itself. That's still a lovely place. The town works hard to keep it the old Victorian town it's always been. Lots of lovely inns, B & B's, a nice quiet atomosphere, And if the kids want some nightlife/boardwalk fun, you can go just a few miles north to Wildwood for an evening.

Another nice resort town is OC, NJ. But that's a little further afield for where you'll be going. Still, if you have time, it's definitely a family-friendly resort--the one most of us local choose over the wilder, less appropriate ones.

• Related Discussions

Palmy visit to Bethany Beach, Delaware

Q

Comments (5)
    Thanks! That means a lot coming from you! I keep telling people on this board that we're NOT far off of VB in terms of distance or plant material. We are a step milder than the northeast corridor and beach resorts farther to our north and even with in our own tiny state, just a few miles north and west makes a noticeable difference in what you can plant. AHS and Arbor Day maps of the mid 2000s placed us in the very north end zone 8 (much to many's chagrin for some reason) and even the 2012 USDA map has us within a degree or two temperature average of 8a. It's not surprising to us living here. Those of us within a mile or two of the ocean KNOW we can plant zone 8 materials. I think the reason we're not palmier is cultural. Most of our home owners come from points north of here--suburban DC, Baltimore, Phillyl and NYC. They plant what they know from their suburban gardens there. They just assume our planting zone is the same as theirs. Many are not here in the winter. Their loss.
    ...See More

Palms in Long Branch New Jersey Beaches

Q

Comments (57)
    Cactus dude, its all good. If you're not familiar with mid Atlantic and Northeast Beach culture, its radically different than going to a beach in California. California is more about day tripping to the beach. It's a year round beach climate and people go there to surf or picnic or watch the sunset. Here, our beach season is short. Businesses have three precious months to make money for the entire year. Rent is VERY expensive. Anything that sets you apart from your competitor or makes your place look more "beachy" will help make the season. Tourists generally don't do day trips either, as most of the east coast cities are a few hours drive from their favorite beach resorts. So visits are often in increments of every weekend, entire week's vacation or entire seasons renting a house (often year after year or generations). Repeat loyal customers are big business. The thousands spent on "disposable" palms can translate to hundreds of thousands for the beach club, bar, mini golf or restaurant. Same for the garden center that sold the palms and installed them. Growers too.
    ...See More

Weekend at the beach

Q

Comments (6)
    We have been doing this weekend for many years. It started with just my mom, 2 sisters and me. After mom died we just didn't have the heart to go anymore for quite a few years. It was just too hard. Then about 8 years ago we started back up again. It has morphed over the years from Mother's Weekend to Girls Weekend. The youngest is 1 the oldest is 91. Toni, did you get Thrasher's boardwalk fries? You can get the large one that is incredibly huge. They are sooooo good. Also love to get the chocolate covered strawberries on a stick. They are hands down the biggest strawberries I've ever seen in my life. We go to Hoopers for one dinner out. Almost everyone gets the 2 lbs. of crab legs dinner. I get Chicken Chesapeake. Marinated grilled chicken breast with their famous crab imperial on top. It's worth the 6.5 hr. drive for that meal alone, haha. Thanks for the compliments everyone. The animals tugged at my heartstrings for sure, but I'm not anywhere near ready for another pet after losing Jack in January.
    ...See More

Vacation dilemma

Q

Comments (24)
    Bigack, we just got home from our trip yesterday. The only drawback I see to your trip is that it will be in October and possibly too cool for the beach. But while you're both in good health, please, please take a trip together. Harry is 80 and it was so very hard on him. He has P.A.D. which affects his walking ability and is very painful. We used to love getting in the car and just going. This was such a sad trip for both of us. So please take the time to enjoy each other's company away from home while you can. You just never know when it won't be possible any longer.
    ...See More
  • hayjud_mn
    15 years ago

Toni,
    The first thing I think of when I hear Fredericksburg is THE PAINTED BRIDGE! I would LOVE to see that.

We took our kids to DC and we loved all the Smithsonian. Our smart aleck boys always remember the homeless people huddled over "their"grate. I hope to be able to go there again some day.

This vacation of yours sounds so great!

• monica_pa Grieves
    15 years ago

Stay away from OC, NJ. It's overpriced and very crowded.

OC Maryland is much nicer. In fact, we were talking about going down there in September.

• Toni S
    Original Author
    15 years ago

lol! to each her own!

I can hardly wait to go to Luray, Sharon. I heard the MiMsyln spent big bucks renovating and it looks beautiful on the website! I would love to stay there but for the amount of time we will be there, the price, and off course the fact that we will look like a pack of river rats,,I believe we'll pick a more modest hotel or cabin. The river rafting part of this vacation is all about me. I love rafting, while the guys enjoy history. The girls, they just want to have fun, stroll the beach and buy trinkets at the local shops.

I don't quite know what I think about OC, MD. If it were off season I know I would like it, busy or not. July and August are peak months just about anywhere on the coast. I will look up the destinations you wrote about Azzalea.
    You remind me of my sis in law...She hated Disney World because of the people. Total relaxation is her cup of tea. The kids and I loved DW ! I planned that trip very well, traveling off season, which was sooo nice.

I grew up by the ocean and was very used to having lots of sand space to myself. OC might be a real eye opener for me. (if we go!)

• wanda_va
    15 years ago

Your kids will probably love Ocean City. The boardwalk is full of "junk" shops, and very appealing to youngsters. Watch them carefully, though, because I have heard that there are a lot of drugs in OC. There are other beaches but the kids seem to like OC the best.

I highly recommend Luray Caverns! It's pricey, but an experience they will never forget.

There are so many sights in Washington, DC--and if they like history, they will have a ball there. Have you thought of contacting your congressman, and maybe arranging a tour of the Capitol? That's another memorable experience. (I personally would pass on Fredericksburg to spend more time in DC.) Plan on using Metro (the subway) to get around DC; plan your sightseeing tour in advance, and plot it out on a Metro map.

If you go from DC to Luray, you will pass right by my house. You are welcome to visit, or spend the night.

Can't wait to hear the final plans...and see pictures!

• debo_2006
    15 years ago

I think there are better places to go to than OC, MD. It's over-rated, isn't even a pretty atmosphere, and you'll spend a bundle. I go sometimes because family lives in Bethany Beach which is up the road about 30 minutes, and not crowded at all.

Ocean City, NJ is worse.

• gramzeeinmd
    15 years ago

Toni,
    I will have to disagree with most about OC, MD. Yes, it can be over-crowded and over-priced. But, where isn't a vacation spot both of then. I thought that of Disney in Flordia but my grandchildren enjoyed it. Down the OC there is beach, rides, stores and sights. I do not know off hand the ages of your children but I am sure you would enjoy it. When do you plan on going? I may be able to get some information if you want to see anything, I have family there this week.
    Deb

• teresava
    15 years ago

We stay in Bethany Beach, Delaware (10-15 miles away) which is really small and quiet, but go into OC, MD for dinner or fun (mini golf etc.) Because Bethany is smaller there are really only houses to rent, probably fairly expensive or Sea Colony (condos).

Rehobeth Beach, DE and Dewey Beach are also ones to check out. They are smaller and a little more family oriented. Although Dewey has had a resurgence in the past 5-10 years as more of a party town. Fenwick Island is also a town to check out.

Depends on how you look at it-Ocean City is trashy and crowded but there are tons of hotels, shops and restaurants in every price range. About 150 blocks. The boardwalk your typical junk food, carnival games, rides etc-which my DD LOVES. Also great people watching and they have a trolley that goes up and down the street.

• nickel_kg
    15 years ago

Kids ... beaches ... you might want to consider Calvert County, Maryland. It's less than an hour's drive (south) from the DC beltway, and it feels alot more relaxed than anything inside the beltway -- which the adults might appreciate. The cool thing about Chesapeake Bay beaches is that you can find all sorts of sharks teeth fossils in the sand! In case I mess up the url link below, here is one you can cut & paste:
    http://www.ecalvert.com/content/tourism/visitorsguide/beaches/index.asp

Good marine museums in the area, too -- with a unique style of lighthouses you can walk thru, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: calvert county maryland beaches

• alisande
    15 years ago

My kids liked to go to Ocean City, MD when they were teenagers, but for the past few years they've gone to Rehobeth or Bethany Beach, DE instead.

• gneegirl
    15 years ago

I'm about an 1-1/2 hours away from OC and used to go there VERY often. My neighbor goes all the time - almost every weekend. It does get very crowded but as others have said, the kids love it and there is plenty to do for them. The Delaware end is better - newer hotels/condos, but it isn't as close to the "fun" things on the boardwalk. Nighttime driving around is crazy because it is so busy. But, there is the always the city bus, which isn't bad at all.

My post is really getting kind of long so I'm going to email you some info.

gneegirl

• gneegirl
    15 years ago

toni - you don't have email listed so if you want, email me and I'll send you more info. Check out "my page".

gneegirl

• kathy_
    15 years ago

Well I like Ocean City! Love strolling the boardwalk and those tacky shops. If you go there be sure to go to the inlet on the south side and watch the boats go by and there are small nicer shops there too. Be careful with speeding and parking. Cops are plentiful. There is a bus system on the main street so you can park away from the boardwalk and take the bus in. Usually we go to the gold coast mall area and take the bus from there. If you want a quieter place - up the strreet is Fenwick Island DE - there are no boardwalks there but they charge a fee to get on the beach.

• western_pa_luann
    15 years ago

OC MD is a nice place to visit for the day...
    but when we vacation in that area, we stay in Rehoboth or Bethany Beach.

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

We like OCMd like most places it does get crowded on weekends in particular. What we love is that unlike many beaches in the area they groom the beach every night. You would want to try to rent on the oceanside of Ocean highway so that you don't have to cross it to get to the beach. We have stayed in the Castle in the Sand, the Clarion -all on the ocean side of the highway and then Fenwick Inn which is bayside way up at 139th.
    We have stayed most recently in my familys beachfront condo at 140th.
    There are drugs anywhere you go,so OC isnt any different- but we have never seen evidence of it.the police presence is very noticeable on the boardwalk and they do a good job keeping it a family place. Late at night I think is when the questionable behavior goes on.
    Everybody goes to the boardwalk even if they just drive down to pick up their favorite beach food- Ice cream from Dumsers ( est. 1900s) saltwater taffy, Thrashers french fries or our must have- freshly made by hand Fishers carmel corn.
    There are many arcades that the kids just love and the shops go on for blocks!
    Assateague Island is not far by car from OC and is a fun place to go for the day- it is a natural beach and it has a nature center as well- bring bug spray if you go there- there are herds of wild horses and some flies.
    The lifeguards are top notch in OC. the neighborhood beaches in Bethany are often not guarded. the public beaches of Rehobeth and Bethany are good as well.
    You can ride all day on the bus for $2 and you can get anywhere in OC that way. It is really a good way to travel around.
    For the most part the better rentals are above 15th street-by desirable I mean they are not rented to a group of kids.
    OC is a safe town but you do need to be very very cautious crossing only at crosswalks- and making sure your kids know that too.
    There are some doc in the boxes on the island and there are 2 major hospitals nearby( just in case you worry about that stuff) a relative is a paramedic there.
    We have driven up to Lewes and taken the ferry to spend the day in Cape May- which is wonderful. NJ charges to use the beach and so we usually go to wander the shops when we to stay out of the sun for a day( the charge is nominal it is the idea of charging to walk onto a beach that is offensive to us!)
    We love DC and the Smithsonian and you will find the subway system so easy to use. We usually park at the silver spring station and take the subway into downtown from there. The White House tour is really something to see. Have a great time!

• gneegirl
    15 years ago

OK CB - you might just make me hop in the car and drive up the road to OC!! I haven't been since moving to Bowie - shame, because when I lived in Mont. County, I was in OC all the time, even if it was an extra hour in travel. Love Cape May too - spent a lot of summers there growing up. My mom's boss had a place in May's Landing right on the water. It was OLD, but we loved it. I met so many friends - from all over the country. Some we stayed in touch with for years. aaaah, nostalgia...

• willsgram
    15 years ago

Omg...was reading the responses to this and noticed your's Sharon. We stayed at the Mimslyn 43 years ago, while on our honeymoon. Can't believe it's still there! And yes, it was like Mt. Vernon or Tara! I'll have to tell my husband, since we still talk about it. Maybe we can "second honeymoon" there.

• lyndy_pa
    15 years ago

I would not go to OC, MD. It is way too crowded and not that nice. Go to Cape May, NJ. It is really nice. I would not recommend OC, NJ either.

• mrsjjb
    15 years ago

I LOVE Ocean City, MD. I was there just last weekend. It's my favorite beach (second only to Virginia Beach, VA). It has a 2-mile long boardwalk that's chock full of great stores and brick-a-brach and you can't beat Thrasher's french fries!

I think it's a very family friendly beach. It can get quite crowded on the weekends, but what popular beach isn't? The hotels run the gamut from very reasonable to extremly prices with suites that overlook the beach.

Ocean City, MD is about four hours from Fredericksburg, VA, however, so be advised that you're looking at quite bit of traveling. It sounds like that's part of the appeal for you, so I recommend you take the chance - and enjoy yourself!

Also, it's my experience that the water at Ocean City, MD has been cleaned up quite a bit - you can almost see to the bottom now!

• tami_ohio
    15 years ago

Toni, if you go to Mt. Vernon, be sure to eat dinner there! And if you like venison, I had the venison medallions when we were there. They were fantastic! Can't say for the beaches mentioned. We enjoyed Virginia Beach with the kids six or seven years ago, with decent prices for a room. Nice boardwalk and beach.

Tami

• sharon_fl
    15 years ago

Toni & willsgram....I loved the Mimslyn Inn!! Here's a great story for you. I worked there in the late 80's. One weekend I had to do a cocktail party for 250 people, for an art show there. The artist was P. Buckley Moss-a famous artist who does alot of PA Dutch children in her paintings as well as alot of seascape scenes. (I have 2 of her prints of Sanibel Island.)
    Anyhow, she kept coming into the kitchen to sneak some of my dried beef rollups..tee hee-she said they'd be gone every time the waiter came around to her!
    When I moved down here to Largo back in 1998, I went down to her studio & apartment right on the Bay in downtown St Pete. She was doing signings that day, if you bought anything from her gallery, you could go upstairs into her studio to have her sign it. I did & as I walked up to her I said "Hi Pat..long time no see." She said 'I know that voice' to which I said "I really doubt you'd remember me as it was 10 yrs ago I met you when I did your art show at the Mimslyn in Luray." She lit up & blurted out..."OH-those dried beef rollups!" Thought I'd die laughing that she'd recall them. Needless to say-she personally signed my 2 Sanibel prints, to me.
    ANYWAY..she told me her SON bought the place back in '89. If he still owns it-I bet alot of her artwork is hanging all over the place! If you stop in Toni..(you can go up & just see the awesome lobby, as well as the 2nd floor atrium-gorgeous!!...If it's still used as an atrium). If you see any of her paintings there? Then he still owns it.
    5 years ago my DD from NC-came for a visit & I took her down to the Pat's gallery. She was in the rear of the place & came rushing up to me & said "Mom-come here-you have to see this". I went back & there was a painting of...The Mimslyn Inn & PA Dutch children sledding & frolicing in the lawns! My daughter surprised me that Xmas with the signed, framed painting..she said-not only did you work there, but you fed the artist there! One of my treasure pieces.

• Toni S
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I love your story Sharon. What a fun story of your past. The part about "Pat" remembering the rollups had me lol!
    Your DD sure knows a good gift doesn't she!?

Everyone's input on Ocean City has been a great help in helping me decide what to do.
    Copperbailey, you saved me alot of homework too. I like hearing about favorite places and why. About the bus, the natural beach and even the bug spray. I'll be copying this page since my memory is not like it used to be!

• chessey24
    15 years ago

Ocean City is not the only choice you have in that stretch of beach - the Delaware beaches are right there also -Dewey, Bethany, Rehoboth(which also has good outlet shopping) - which are a little less crowded than OC - which has all the standard beach touristy stuff-boardwalk amusement park, etc. The beach stretches for a long way and the north end is quieter and beyond that are the Delaware beaches. You don't say when you are going but be aware that traffic to the beach is not nice on weekends in the summer. The only way across the Bay is the Bay Bridge at Annapolis and it can be bumper to bumper for miles all the way to the beach. The other way to go, depending on where you're based would be down to Virginia Beach.

• glenda_al
    15 years ago

Whatever, have a great great time!

• dorio_pa
    15 years ago

I Have to disagree here, I've been to Ocean City NJ many times, it's a dry town, so it doesn't attract the partying crowds, it's very family oriented, the boardwalk is clean, lots of nice shops etc. and it isn't anymore crowded then Ocean City Maryland. NJ has really cleaned up their beaches in recent years. We were surprised when we first started going back there five years ago. I also agree with the above poster about Cape May, theres no place like it.

Doreen

• bearcat_va
    15 years ago

I just returned from Bethany Beach. More family friendly, classier boardwalk area, etc. I have never been a fan of OC, MD. I thought it was kind of junky. Bethany Beach is smaller, but nicer. Rehobeth is ok, the boardwalk area is nice, too.

If you visit Mount Vernon, be sure to drive down the Mount Vernon Parkway and explore Old Town Alexandria. It's a beautiful drive along the Potomac River. I taught at Mount Vernon high for 8 years and visited Mount Vernon with my students several times. Luray and Fredricksburg are nice. Luray is my favorite Cavern in VA. Also, if you're going to be in the VA area much, visit Gunston Hall (George Mason's home). It's about 10 miles from Mount Vernon down Route 1. It backs to Mason Neck State Park where you can picnic by the river. My parents live backed to the park land. Lovely area!

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

toni-e a few more thoughts. in my earlier post I mentioned that I had stayed in many of the Delaware beaches and there are similarities between them and OC.MD. I stay in upper OC where it is quieter but if you have kids and they want to go to the boardwalk- it takes some time to drive down to the boardwalk in the evening cause that is when many families head there. And that is what the kids love to do! In OC,if your kids are old enough middle school and up, you can let them ride the bus on their own in the day. And in the evening for teens. This is a nice thing for them to do and it is convenient for families too. There are bus stops every block I think.they go from the Inlet which is the most southern end all the way to 143 street the most northern OC street.

Also you can ride bikes on the boardwalk in the morning- I think before 10 in the summer but not sure- it is great fun. You can rent bikes and even surries! After labor day you can ride bikes later in the day.
    The only problem we have with any of the beaches is a small section of beach between Dewey Beach and Rehobeth is a section of the beach that is called Doggie Beach and there are no dogs there. I think that sort of touchy behavior, by gay or straight couples, is inappropriate for a public beach, IMHO. So we just avoid it.

Another thought- many of the beautiful historic B&Bs in Cape May are not airconditioned so you need to check for that. It is lovely- we go for a day each time we are at the beach.The Rehobeth outlets are fun for a rainy day, and are about 1/2 hour drive up the road from 140th in OC. It is a pretty drive and all the beach towns are so close that you may want to drive and explore them all. Each is unique. Enjoy! I won't be going to the beach this year :(
    Hey Gneegirl hows it going?

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH