SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_2754028

Help Remodeling Family Room

User
10 years ago

Hi, I've been posting and reading on the kitchen forum because we are remodeling the kitchen, almost done. But now we need to tackle the other side of this great room.

The space is basically one big rectangle. Between the kitchen side and the seating/TV side there will be a large old pine farm table and chairs. And then there will be a sofa facing the fireplace, 2 chairs, coffee and end table.

I want to change the fireplace area and the TV cabinet area. I've gathered some ideas from friends and family and here are a couple of things we are considering. But I feel like I need more input.

In general, the kitchen is transitional, a bit modern-leaning, the farm table is rustic. I like the mix of rustic and modern. We're thinking of:

Option 1:

Fireplace: Raise hearth. Remove the white painted mantle and moulding. Surround entire fireplace and all the way to the ceiling with stone. Place an old piece of wood for the mantle (or do something else a but edgy such as metal or do a painted piece to reflect something in the kitchen). Hang existing painting above fireplace.

TV cabinet: Replace existing cabinet with a new cabinet that will house a new larger flat TV. Not sure how to design this new cabinet or if maybe it should just be a console, not cabinetry above TV. It's in the corner of the room. Components go under the TV.

Option 2:

Fireplace: Same as above, except hang the TV above the fireplace and hide it somehow with some kind of sliding doors on a rail so that sometimes it can be covered. Would the TV be too high? I've always thought it would be uncomfortable to hang it there.

TV cabinet: Remove it completely and just regain that as regular floor space which would give the space more breathing room or a spot for an additional chair or maybe card table or something else. If we do that where do the components for the TV go?

Option 3? Option 4? ..

Thank you in advance for the input!

This picture is the family room, looking from the kitchen. Yucky ceiling fan; that's going too. The paint is SW Monorail Silver, it's a blue-grey. Some old green is still showing because I took the picture before the painters finished up.

Comments (3)