SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dominos

Should I fire my arch. designer or make the best of it?

dominos
12 years ago

Hi all -

We hired a "architectural designer" to do floorplans and construction docs for our remodel (small bumpout, remodeled kitchen and new bath). I really liked the designer at the beginning but as we progressed the service, communication and level of creative thinking was pretty mediocre. The designer frequently took my suggestions and just plugged them into the plan (e.g make that a bay window, add a foot here, etc). We kept going and went all the way through construction docs, energy compliance and partial structural plans - about $5k. Then I put on the brakes last fall since I lacked confidence in the design after posting it here and shopping it with friends. The dining area was only 7-8 feet wide and she never said a word about that maybe being tight for my family of 5. I needed reassurance from her that the plan would work since I am not a visual person and I wasn't getting it. (My cold feet thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/remodel/msg1014503730065.html?30)

Since then I've gotten some generous design help here at GW resulting in a tweaked plan which I THINK will work and we are interested in moving forward again. I met with the designer again - showed her the GW suggestions and found out that the cost to revise the plans is not high ($800 for her - $1500 for structural) and again, she "liked" the revision and thought they would work but didn't suggest any changes or improvements.

So - should I fire her and start new with someone else (guessing this will be pricey)? Or just soldier forward since we've already put so much time and money into these plans? Are my expectations for the value that an arch designer adds too high given what I am paying?

I've heard that this designer is great with the finishes, etc. But then again I recently heard that she mismeasured someone's plan a few years back. So mixed reviews. I have been overanlayzing this project from the get go (and I am not a great decision maker)so I can't decide if I am just overthinking or if it is worth getting it really right for such a big project.

Appreciate any feedback...

Here is a link that might be useful: My thread with floorplans

Comments (12)