SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilovecookie

Platform bed... yes or no? (pics inside)

ILoveCookie
10 years ago

I never really liked platform beds, as they tend to look ultra-contemporary (not my cup of tea)...until I saw this one on Houzz:

It looks exactly the same as the Edge Bed made by Environment. It has 4 big storage drawers, with 2 on each side. The extra wide platform provides place for seating, reading books, etc, and eliminates the need for nightstands and storage bench, which is a big plus once we move into a small house with a small master bedroom (about 13'x15').

Overall, it sounds like a very functional bed. But husband and I were wondering, would our shins suffer from the large square edges? Neither of us had a platform bed before, and my search shows mixed opinions.

For this particular bed, what do you think the shin-injury probability will be like?

Also, the price tag of this bed seems quite high for us ($4495 for king size). I am thinking, it might be much cheaper to have a local furniture maker build something similar in oak or pine (or other non-expensive wood).

However, I truly have no idea about the material & labor costs of making something like this. Husband thinks $1000 might suffice. I am thinking maybe $2000. What do you think?

Thank you!

Comments (20)