SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
outerloops

Re-routing plumbing in load-bearing wall

outerloops
10 years ago

Hi!

My wife and I just started remodeling the kitchen in our house, and one of the biggest goals on our list was removing the wall between kitchen and dining room. We knew it was a load-bearing wall, so the plan was to install a header above the opening.

Our contractor just got the plaster off one side of the wall, and we discovered pretty much the worst case scenario. There are a few electrical wires (easy to relocate), some water supply pipes (a bit harder to move, but not too bad), a waste drain for the second-floor bathroom (very labor intensive to move) and an HVAC supply duct (also pretty labor intensive to move).

See the attached picture, or view here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fsxspuuw660gx83/2014-03-21%2010.57.30.jpg

The picture is taken from the living room side. The opening to the right is the existing door into the kitchen.

Our contractor's plumber gave an estimate of $4,200 to re-route all of the pipes through a soffit in the kitchen, over to another wall, and down to the basement. We're still waiting on estimates for the electrical and HVAC work.

Needless to say, we're pretty bummed by how expensive it will be to move these mechanicals. We're trying to come up with other options, so I wanted to ask for input here:

- Does the $4,200 estimate seem reasonable for re-routing all those pipes?

- Another option would be opening up a pass-through instead of opening up the wall entirely. We would keep the two right-most bays (containing the drain line and HVAC duct) and open up a pass-through to the left of it. We would most likely put in a bar-height counter extending from the left corner all the way to the right side of the remaining wall section. My wife isn't too excited about the pass-through option; she thinks it would look like a cheap apartment kitchen. Can anyone offer any insight on pass-throughs that look intentional and more "high end"?

- Any other ideas?

Thanks so much! Looking forward to getting some ideas from this super helpful community!

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County