SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loves2read

replacing exterior siding and other questions

loves2read
16 years ago

we live in house that is about 25 yrs old--has exterior siding on part of it--mainly the back first and second floors--we have allowed it to deteriorate over the years--the last time we had it painted I don't think they used the quality of pain they said--

anyway--it has cracks and wood rot and don't think painting even with great paint will do what needs to be done...

we are in DFW TX area--we are not sure if we will continue to live in this house for next 5-10 years but we might--we can't find one on the resale market in price range that has what we want...

would it be better to replace with plywood siding (vertical tongue/groove) like the original or do Hardi-plank...I don't think our homeowner assoc will allow vinyl--even a top-line brand.

Should we consider adding some exterior foam-board type insulation

We also need to have gutters redone--

should we do siding first, then gutters or should they be done in same operation?

Our realtor has told us that replacing the windows would not cause that much positive uptick when it is on the market but some of them are cloudy and they all are showing signs of age even though they were good quality windows when installed in the 80s

This house has a lot of windows--big bay in kitchen and more than usual in other rooms...

if we stay in this house I would want to replace them...

should THAT be done when siding goes up?

if so--we need to really make decision about whether or not to stay and not move/sell Market in my neighborhood is really soft---if we put 50K in this house doing repairs we would never get it back...

Comments (3)