SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ymaddox

adding on to a ranch style home

ymaddox
15 years ago

Due to unforeseen circumstances we are considering moving in with my parents to help them due to health. They have a partially underground ranch, meaning the front portion is exposed, with a covered porch extending the entire length. So we need to add on a pretty good sized addition to this home, a two story addition. To just go off the end is going to make the house seem very long and adding two stories straight off the end onto a existing one story home just in my mind does not seem like it would look right. My idea would be to come off the last one third of the house and extend out to make a L shaped home with the second story being on the new addition and the part that makes the L. My concern is even though there is only going to be 1/3 of the original single story exposed will this look right? And secondly if it did make it look odd would adding dormers to the two story and then a few fake dormers to the single story make it look more proportioned and not odd looking or even adding the fake dormers onto the single story only, or how could you do that and make it look nice? Cannot really add a second story above the already single portion of the home because they have to live there during renovation. Any idea's or comments on the existing idea, or any new idea's would be appreciated! We had considered selling both homes and buying something else but in this housing market good luck with that huh!

Comments (10)