SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
snickysnacker_gw

This room really needs help!!

snickysnacker
14 years ago

Our family room has stumped me for years on how to procede. I really think the ceiling beams need to come down- what do you think?? Before buying new furniture, I really need to decide what to do about them and also the decorating of the mantle!! We will also be replacing the current tv monstrosity with a plasma sitting on a small tv stand in the same corner. Here are some pics: (dog crate, sadly, must remain as it it truly functional for him and he LOVES his house!!)

{{!gwi}}
and

{{!gwi}}

The current color is SW Rice patty . Its a very dark room and wall color cant go much darker. Plan to do recessed light and new ceiling fan once I decide about the beams. Thanks for your input.

Comments (23)

• parma42
    14 years ago

It might be quite a mess if you take them down.

Could you just paint them to match the ceiling color?

• anele_gw
    14 years ago

I actually like your beams a lot. I think they add both warmth and character. Would you consider painting the brick? Using hardwood on the floors-- maybe some wide planks?

Before any of that, what style do YOU like? Maybe if you find/link some inspirational pics that will help.

• Related Discussions

Opinion needed on 2 old stock/floor model wine fridges

Q

Comments (1)
    I admit that a 2 zone wine cooler is appealing, but the Subzero has a higher end look and feel about it. Plus, the Subzero pull out drawers slide, look and feel much nicer. It's like sitting in a nice Toyota versus a Lexus. Both will do the job, and you may not be able to pinpoint the differences, but you can feel it.
    ...See More

I really, really need your help with the open room layout!

Q

Comments (3)
    I would not put the TV in the corner by the staircase/french doors - just would look like it was just hanging there and it's not very conducive to a furniture layout without blocking your walkway area. I'd put a built in bookcase unit on the wall where you have the ladder in the one photo. That short wall across from the kitchen. It's really the only wall that you have that makes sense to me for the TV. Plus you can watch it from the kitchen area too. If you really want to do the fireplace, I'd probably mount the TV over top, or do a built in around the fireplace that has a corner cabinet for the TV in the corner by your front window. I like your couch with its back to the kitchen how you have it. Makes the FR area more cozy and gives some separateness to the space. Plus you have a really nice open area in front of the french doors. I'd put a couple of small chairs in the corner by the staircase and french door.
    ...See More

Really need some design help on this living room

Q

Comments (4)
    Fireplace looks good. Don't remove the beams. Could someone on here could do a mock up of them painted? I wonder why the kitchen cabinet knobs up so high? It's distracting. They would look better at only 2.5" up. When the time comes, I would raise the curtain rods to give the illusion of higher ceilings.
    ...See More

Really need help to design my living room with uneven vaulted ceiling

Q

Comments (2)
    A grand or a baby grand piano? A grand needs a 15x 20’ space so nothing else in this room. This space is 15 x25’ I have my baby grand straddling the space between the DR and this space it is a bit small but works.
    ...See More
  • Ideefixe
    14 years ago

I'd paint the brick and paint the beams. The beams just make the ceiling look lower.

I like the mantle, but I can't say that an over sized clock in a family room really inspires me to relax and chill out. I think I'd rather see a big piece of art or even a mirror. Since the mantle is so large in scale, I'd choose fewer accessories more in proportion with it.

• xoxosmom
    14 years ago

How do you use the space? Do you entertain or just hang out and watch TV? If so how about making it a media room? Especially since you say it is dark in there anyway.

What style do you want in there? Your accessories feel country in style which can be warm and inviting especially with the brick. I wouldn't pain the brick. But I would paint the beams to match the ceiling and not take them out.

• graywings123
    14 years ago

Not to sidetrack the conversation, but I love your sun room and the picture above the sofa is awesome!

• TxMarti
    14 years ago

Is this a basement? Do the beams support the room above or are they decorative? Since light proceeds and dark recedes, I think I might paint the beams a lighter color and the ceiling a darker color. I've seen that done with ceilings that have crossbeams and it looks great.

I like the color of your brick, but it is dark on that side of the room. If you paint the beams, I'd paint the mantle also.

• TxMarti
    14 years ago

These look like higher ceilings, but this is what I've seen on 8' ceilings and it worked.

Here is a link that might be useful: Painted beams

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

I wouldn't take the beams down, instead I would paint the beams a creamy white which would help lighten the space. Also whitewashing the brick would help to bring in some light. There seems to be a disconnect between your lovely light and airy sunroom next door and the dark family room. Brightening the family room will make it a more cohesive space.

• teacats
    14 years ago

Yes -- another vote to paint the ceiling -- beams and all. Then paint the bottom molding around the level of carpet.

Consider painting the brick fireplace -- or whitewashing the brick -- as wisely mentioned above.

All of these moves will bring the room together -- and elimate some of the heavy (visually) horizontal lines.

Consider having a wood "cover" (paint it the same as the walls so less-expensive wood could be used) for the dog crate. Switch it to the spot where the TV now sits so it would appear to be "built-in" -- thanks to the new wood cover.

The re-orient the room -- Place the new TV where the dog crate now sits -- and buy a sofa and couple of chairs OR a much smaller "neater" sectional .....I've included an example from Pottery Barn -- JUST for possible measurements.

Jan

Here is a link that might be useful: PB sectional JUST and example and for possible measurements

• sable_ca
    14 years ago

I like your room a lot. It's an honest room - used for watching TV, and that's its statement.

IMO your wall color is excellent, very warm, and you might consider painting the ceiling in the same color. I wouldn't take down the beams, but I'd consider painting them also. I also wouldn't paint the fireplace - the bricks are a nice color and give both interest and a great backdrop for that handsome mantle. But agree about the clock - a large clock ticking away the time is not very relaxing!

The wall behind the sofa, at right angles to the fireplace, is perfect for displaying art that is both colorful and soft (not framed in black, which would harden and darken the room). Our den is shaped similarly to yours. We have two loveseats at right angles facing a large corner TV. We filled the wall behind the loveseats with a lot of colorful pictures and family photos. It would be a nice view into the room from your LR.

Looking at that bone, your doggie is probably not a chihuahua!

• suero
    14 years ago

There are a lot of strong horizontal lines in the room that make it look more closed in than it actually is. I agree that painting the beams will improve the look. I'd also paint the wood molding around the ceiling. In addition, I think you could use a slightly warmer neutral on the walls. If you have a darker color on the sectional, it would bring the focus down and actually make the room look less closed in. I'd also get more vertical elements into the room, such as with floor lamps, plant, even artwork with strong verticals, like the picture over the sofa in your sunroom.

• pebbles123
    14 years ago

I love the wall-to-wall mantle- it definitely adds to the decor and is a great focal point for the room. You would be surprised at how much brighter the room would be if you paint the brick wall white, or a light shade that matches the side walls. The mantle will look better against the lighter color, or you can paint/stain it a darker color if you like that look. Also, I'd move the wall clock and probably display some photos in frames on the mantle. The floor bricks can also be painted, or you can put tile on top for a different look.

While painting the ceiling beams will definitely help brighten the room, I thinking painting the door trim and molding white will make a bigger impact. You might find that after painting the brick and trim, they won't bother you so much. I would probably just remove the ceiling fan to open up the space more, and get a simple ceiling fixture with a floor lamp or two for lighting, but if the fan is a must, just spray paint it to match whatever color you decide on for the mantle. I personally like the beams and think that by painting the brick and walls in a light, neutral color, and the beams and mantle in a darker color would create great contrast and tie the look together.

Hardwood floors would also be nice, but I don't think they're as important as updating the other features in the room. If the carpet is in good condition, you can make the other changes first before making a decision to change the flooring.

Also, I completely understand about the crate. We recently did our kitchen and made sure we built a space for our dog's crate :-)

• snickysnacker
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you , everyone for your input. I really appreciate you taking the time to give my your ideas. This room is just our family room. It's in the middle of our house which is a center hall colonial (with the sun room addition off the back).
    Anele- I agree that hardwood would improve the look but the dog's nails (my big ole weimeraner) have scratched the hardwoods in the other rooms of the house, thus he is banished to this section. Is there an option that is more resiliant to scratches?? Along the same lines, as teacats suggested, the dog crate could definitely be improved on. I saw a link on here a while ago that I can revisit. Some of those models sure were pricey, though!!
    The beams are rough hewn ( I think that is the correct description). If I painted them off white, should it be (1)the same as the baseboard color (currently stained but I wanted them white) and (2) do I use the same finish as baseboard- ie. a semi gloss?
    I thought about painting the white trim around the french doors but leaving the actual doors stained. Could this work? The 2 doors are actually both opened in the previous picture but I do shut them in extreme weather conditions. Maybe the white trim around the stained doors would tie into the mantle?? Or not? Here is a picture of the doors closed - sorry- terrible backlighting.
    {{!gwi}}
    Here is what I did in my kitchen which is continuous with my fam room (save for a half wall separation) - IRL the red isnt this hideous altough I am considering repainting it
    {{!gwi}}

suero- I agree about the paint- what warmer neutral would you suggest? I was considering BM bleeker beige maybe?? The current color is a little yellowish.
    I think I will give some serious thought to painting the brick. I am VERY nervous about that idea. It is so permanent. Not like painting drywall and repainting it if I hated it.
    Anyone feel like PS'ing white beams and painted bricks to give me an idea? I know how much work that is so any attempts would be sincerely appreciated.
    What, in addition to artwork can I put on the mantle?? Everything I put up there looks so puny or invisible.
    Thanks again for the suggestions, keep it coming :) Sorry for the long post- appreciate anyone who hung in there so long!! :)

• teacats
    14 years ago

As for the dog crate cover -- contact local area carpenters for estimates -- and tell them that you'll finish it (paint it the same as the walls) yourself. Might make a difference on the bottom line as they could use much less expensive wood to build the cover.

Yes -- paint the baseboards and the beams AND the trim around the door AND the top of the half-wall in white semi-gloss -- easier to maintain and wipe down if necessary.

We have plank laminate flooring (that looks like wood) -- might work in your room too. Check around the Web for ideas .....

Jan

• artlover13060
    14 years ago

Snickysnacker - you've gotten a lot of great suggestions already. I wonder how you would feel about removing the ceiling fan? I took mine out of my FR to minimize attention to a low textured ceiling that I hated. It really helped.

I like the idea of painting the beams to match the ceiling. If they are rough hewn you shouldn't use gloss or semi gloss on them. Use flat paint like the ceiling. You can still paint the rest of the trim in the room semi-gloss.

Painting brick is a touchy subject, probably because it can't be undone. I came very close to painting mine. The funny thing is that once I followed some other advice about furniture arrangement and accessories, I didn't dislike it anymore. I guess what I am saying is paint the bricks as a last resort after trying some other things first.

P.S. LOVE the sunroom. Especially the painting over the sofa and the birdhouses painted on the walls. Did you do those yourself?

• pauline13
    14 years ago

They make dog crates that look like end tables. I have seen them in catalogs. You might check that out. I've attached a link to just one type. I'm sure you can find others if you decide to search.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dog Crate Furniture

• snickysnacker
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, pauline13 , I think that is the link from a former post that I wanted to clip! I will check into it. The crate (and future cover) will look better, I think once I buy new furniture and do SOMETHING about the beams. Artlover13060 and graywings, thanks for the kind words; I did the stenciling in the sunroom, the painting I cant take credit for.
    If I paint the FR beams (since they are somewhat rough textured) flat creamy white, should I then paint the remaining ceiling parts the same color as the wall? If so, I could use some suggestions for a better wall color. I mistakenly said SW Rice Patty but its Sw Chopsticks. Maybe BM Shaker Beige? Also liked RH Latte. Thoughts?
    I liked the idea of painting the brick wall last. Maybe after I put into effect some of the great suggestions I have gotten, it wont look quite so dark. Again, I fear the irreversible, haha.

• suero
    14 years ago

SW Keystone gray might work. The SW coordinating colors are Greek Villa, an off white, and Salute, a deep red. I think the red would look great for your upholstery.

• mjlb
    14 years ago

"I thought about painting the white trim around the french doors but leaving the actual doors stained. Could this work?" I noticed that is what you have in breakfast room -- looks fine to me.

I agree about painting the beams, altho' the photoshop mockup I did is less than wonderful (I think I should have lightened your photo first).

{{!gwi}}

• Oakley
    14 years ago

I'm not good at decorating, but here's what I like about the two rooms. They're a contrast. Similar to what I have, my LR is darkish even with a lot of windows (but will be brighter in the winter b/c of sun)...and as I go into the DR and kitchen, it's bright.

I love having a choice of hanging out in a light or dark room. Does that make sense? lol

Now, if that were my room I'd paint the beams and mantle a dark brown. Add some color to the wall and ceiling space between the beams.

I'd get a colorful area rug, and smaller scale seating, like a love seat and a chair. Sectionals just take up too much space in a smaller room.

I like the brick and wouldn't paint it. And definitely keep a ceiling fan up there! lol However, you could change the fan to another style, and put the old fan in another room. It's a 102 here, so I'm assuming everyone is hot like me. :)

• oceanna
    14 years ago

I like your house, I like this room, and I like the sunroom we can see in the picture.

Is there an option that is more resiliant to scratches??

Yes, and it's inexpensive. I'd go to Lowe's and get gunmetal colored Novalis wood planks (it's vinyl). They are peel and stick and very easy to lay yourself. It's about $.99 per square foot, as I recall.

Another flooring option is to look at "materials" in CL. Keep your eye on it over time and you may be able to snap up some real bargains.

If your DH is handy, he should be able to build you a wooden dog crate that doubles as an attractive end table. Or, got a son in woodshop? Or a grown son that has more time than money when it comes to your birthday presents? Or, want to take a woodshop class yourself? You can find a picture online or in a dog supply catalog to copy.

Or, so you know someone who could build you one and you have a skill to trade with them? Like sew them drapes or train their dog, or paint their room, or give their kids haircuts or something? Or put an ad in CL that you'd like to do a swap for something you have you no longer want.

Or, keep your eyes on CL, as you never know what will turn up. In the meantime, you could drape the crate with an attractive tablecloth, leaving the front open for the dog, and put a table lamp on the top. Couldn't hurt.

I'd paint the beams a light pastel color, and the ceiling and walls a darker color, though not necessarily real dark.

Please don't paint your fireplace. If you feel it is too dark, go get 3-4 bottles of acrylic paints from Michaels. Put small puddles of each color on a paper plate. Dip a regular kitchen sponge into a little of each of the colors. Then start patting the paint onto your bricks. You may find you just want to lighten the darkest bricks. Keep the paint off the mortar. That paint will not hold up to heat inside the firebox, btw.

You know you can also experiment with latex paint that is thinned in water, and just pat it on with a sponge. Keep a damp rag handy to immediately remove anything you don't like. Whatever you do, it helps to have a lot of color and darkness variation.

Otherwise, you can leave the brick as is. It looks pretty pleasant the way it is.

How about a flat screen TV that mounts above the mantle and is kept hidden when not in use by a painting or fancy doors on a shallow cabinet?

Have you looked at our living rooms thread, and our cottage decor thread in our gallery for inspiration pictures? How about at our ceilings thread to see what you can do with your ceiling? (I would *not* take the beams down.) How about at our fireplaces thread for ideas on how to deck out your mantel? Close this thread and click on the "gallery" link at the bottom of the page. Then you can do a search over there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread about the Novalis planks with pictures

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

I would paint the beams and the ceiling to match the walls - or maybe 1 shade lighter.

I wouldn't paint the door trim or the mantle. - maybe the baseboards tho.

the fan is an older model and looks to be 'builder grade' style. look up new styles on Lowe's or HD. they have great new stylish ones available at good prices. get one with a remote control and put the light on a dimmer.

if you are going to or can buy some new furniture, I'd get a sofa or chairs in a bricky color to pull from / tie in with the wall brick. I would not paint the brick wall. I probably wouldn't be opposed to (and would if mine) put in floor to ceiling wood bookcases (matching the mantle)on the outer sides of the brick wall. That would cover/break up the wall of brick but leave it around the fireplace. and I'd shorten the mantle (which would happen if bookcases put in anyway). I think the total wall horizontal mantle splits the height of the room.
    the bookcases would put vertical lines in the room and give you a nice place for some books, photos and other treasures.

I'd definitely build an outer shell for the doggie crate. I'd probably do it in wood to match the mantel (which I'd shorten)and the trim of the doorway. (the beams in the ceiling would no longer be wood looking).

once the big black box TV is out of there... that will lighten up the room also.

check out the Novalis planks on the flooring forum - lots of threads on it. Novalis also has ceramic looking tile sized vinyl squares (lowe's website). I don't know how those stand up to dogs tho. ask on the flooring forum. the Novalis 'wood' flooring looks super! with a wood or tile floor i'd put in an area rug. I think those w/the Novalis planks said it was rather easy to pull one up and replace if one did happen to get damaged. Hopefully it's the same with the vinyl tile Novalis.

then I'd add some colorful artwork, some plants, a table or 2 between chais/sofa and a few lamps.

• casajakada
    14 years ago

I can understand your hesitation in painting the brick and think the idea of bookcases on either side is a great idea. It will give you more storage and make for less clutter. It would also give you an area for the new Plasma TV. I think the beams should definitely be painted in a light color along with the trim and mantle. One of the other posters mentioned darker furniture to draw your eye down, sounds like the way to go with the lower ceiling height.

If you're interested in a dog crate in the mission style or something similar I came across someone online who did tables for me, very inexpensively, but definitely quality work. When I priced them against some of the other handmade styles that were identical, I saved over $300 on both. If you're interested in his number for a dog crate, let me know. He just loves woodworking and is really more of a hobby than a business.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County