SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paintguy22

New tile falls off shower walls

paintguy22
14 years ago

I'm installing tile in a shower over Durock cement board. I went to Menards to get all the supplies, told the clerk what I was doing and he sold me Mapei Ultralite Mortar to hang the tiles. It says that the mortar is for wall and floor tiles. I'm using a 1/4" trowel and I wait 5 minutes after mixing before applying the mortar. It feels like I'm doing everything right, but some of the tiles I can easily pull off the next day and others just fall off if I look at them wrong, so something isn't right. I suspect that maybe I should have used mastic instead or perhaps there is something wrong with my technique. I suppose grouting the tiles will help them stay, but it seems to me that the tiles should be stuck solid before grouting. Some of the tiles are stuck very well and some just fall off....I really can't figure out my problem. Also, as to technique, when applying the tiles into the bed of mortar, are you supposed to push them down really well, or just sort of set them into the mortar lightly and leave them be? Another thing that disturbs me is that when the tiles fall off, you can see on the back of the tile that no mortar is on there...this makes me think that the mortar is not bonding with the tile at all. Thanks for any advice you can give!

Comments (6)