SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gobruno_gw

Does anything look weird in this room?

gobruno
11 years ago

I just added something to this room, and I can't tell if it looks out of place in my mind bc I just added it and haven't gotten used to it, or if it looks weird or out of place. So, I thought I'd post a photo of my room and ask you all, if anything looks out of place in this room. Please excuse the mess. I wasn't planning on photographing this room this morning.

Thanks!

Comments (64)

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Yes, the floor lamps jumped out at me, too.

However, if you have room (hard to tell exactly where the door swing falls), try putting them on either side of your chaise in the window.

Nestled closer to the wall, they won't unbalance the landscape of your arrangement around the fireplace, which is more visually coherent without them, and they won't interfere with the view into the room beyond, which is part of the problem now. And they will be less of a hazard to your active family, too!

I would then add larger, lower, more solid end tables and a pair of lamps that aren't much taller than the one on your sofa table.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

I love the lamps themselves. Could you try the lamp on the right (facing the front of the couch) to the side of the sofa table next to the dwarf lamp (removed) and see if having them further apart doesn't help with them looking like ?? sentries? that seem to kind of block your fabulous windows. That might require a different, larger table lamp on the opposite end of the sofa table.

• Related Discussions

Does the side of this house look too WEIRD??

Q

Comments (20)
    I'd never heard of a ventless FP, so did a google search. I'm assuming that you don't live in CA or MA, All kinds of combustion, whether gas or wood, requires the oxygen in air to create flames. Therefore, no fire could ever be truly "ventless," or it would extinguish itself. Ventless gas fireplaces are really using ductless or chimneyless technology, so they vent out into the room. That's why the volume of air in a room is very important Several states within the United States, as well as other countries, have completely outlawed ventless gas fireplaces because of health concerns. Canada, Massachusetts, and California don't allow people to install these types of heaters because of their potential to build up carbon monoxide, deplete oxygen, and lead to unconsciousness or even suffocation. Check with your local building code before purchasing one of these appliances. A milder health hazard offers another disadvantage to this choice. Ventless gas fireplaces lead to an increase in the room's humidity. Burning gas or propane creates water vapor that can build up in a room and possibly lead to mold and mildew growth. If most forms of mold aren't truly dangerous, they will certainly increase allergies and could spoil fabric, photographs, and books. Here is a link that might be useful: What are Ventless Fireplaces?
    ...See More

does this look weird?

Q

Comments (14)
    I think it looks great either way it's hung. I have a large Navajo rug hung at the top of my stairway landing. My dad built a wooden "frame" of sorts that it attaches to with Velcro. This helps the rug to project slightly from the wall, and also provides a damage-free way to display it. (Of course, I also have a couple of Navajo rugs that are hung with nails -- not the best way, but I got lazy!)
    ...See More

Does this look weird? (Porch renovation)

Q

Comments (21)
    Thank you, everyone, for your input. It's very helpful. oklbujp, I like your design, and that's actually what I wanted to do to fix this, but as tatts said, that middle spindle is required for stability because it's a kit, not custom. We could put a column where the spindle is instead, but then the window is blocked. That could be ok, but I don't prefer it. We will be adding shrubbery all along the front because yes, landscaping is definitely needed.
    ...See More

Does this look weird?

Q

Comments (25)
    I am attaching pictures of both our front entrance and that of a house exactly like ours (which they updated.) I am also planning on painting the trim Dove White. (not sure on the doors yet.) I am also attaching a couple pictures of our kitchen, which I am in the process of updating (still trying to decide if we should paint the maple (veneer) cabinets since the lowers are not in the best shape. It is crazy how one problem and lead to another and another and another. oh, also, I am considering changing the newel to something like the last image.
    ...See More
  • bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Yes, that's another option - but I'd move both of them to stand on both sides of the sofa table, and put the little lamp on the far end table, if you keep them in that arrangement.

• User
    11 years ago

I like them. They are definitely big, but I think they work!

• mdrive
    11 years ago

definitely the lamps...imo, they are too large....they look gigantic next to the sofa.....my first thought was to get a bigger lamp on the console table, but thinking about it, i don't think it would make a difference...it's the SCALE of the lamps flanking the sofa....they make the sofa look lilliputian (which it is not)

• allison0704
    11 years ago

You still didn't say whether when someone is sitting on the sofa, is the light bulb visible when they look up? If so, the lamps are too large.

• gobruno
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So, no you can't really see the light bulb sitting on the sofa bc the shades are so big. The bulbs hit somewhere in the middle and since the lamps are off to the side of the sofa, unless you stuck your head under the lamp, you wouldn't see the bulb. Ok, so I agree that the lamps currently look a bit large, but in having a long term vision for this room, since this room is a work in progress, if that is somewhat a result of the other things being way too small for the room. For example, the little rickety end table next to the lamp makes the lamp look even bigger. That table is way to small for that room. It is an octagon that is about 12 inches in "diameter." We are planning on replacing it with something more substantial. Also, the lamp on the console is too small for a room with that much volume. It is only 19 inches high and the ceilings in that room are 22 feet. I'm looking at a lamp that is much taller. So, here is a rudimentary mock up of a table we're considering and a lamp that I've been coveting....

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I'm not troubled by the height, but only the diameter of the shades. Can you try a smaller shade?

Also, when you first asked the question, the thing I noticed was the chair in front of the fireplace...

• mdrive
    11 years ago

doesn't matter if you can 'see the bulb' or not....the problem with those lamps is that the SHADES bottom out approximately where the top of the head is for someone sitting on the sofa.....imagine stretching out and having those ginormous lamps looming over you....seriously....i don't know what you are trying to accomplish with such oversized sofa lamps....fill the 'volume' of the room???? you would do much better to concentrate on wall art to accomplish that....my personal opinion is the lamps are just ridiculously out of scale for the intended purpose....i honestly have no idea what the designer (of the lamps) was thinking.....just cannot imagine feeling comfortable with a lamp shade towering over my head! my apologies if my opinion is strong about this, but those lamps really bug me! the only way to make those lamps work is to put a goliath sized sofa in between...i repeat...it is the SCALE of the lamps v. the sofa...they just look wrong....sorry!

• nancybee_2010
    11 years ago

imo, the lamps look too big and too tall.

• mitchdesj
    11 years ago

I love tall lamps with big shades ! I think yours look perfect, specially against that tall wall with the tall draperies. Your ceilings are very high and when I look at the room as a whole, I think the lamps belong and add character .

• erinsean
    11 years ago

I would try putting one of your floor lamps on the right side of your chaise in front of the windows. Then I would put the other one on the left side of the table behind the sofa. I would put a tallish table lamp on the table on the side of your couch (left end) nearest the fireplace. Putting your lamps farther apart would make them seem more in proportion IMHO.

• Happyladi
    11 years ago

I love the view out your window! Now back to the discussion.

• Oakley
    11 years ago

Maybe it's because we're not used to seeing large floor lamps flanking a sofa, but I think they would look better in a dark corner, maybe one to a room. One lamp next to the settee would be perfect.

I have a large room like you do, with a high ceiling and a lot of lamps. One thing that makes my lamps work when they're all turned on is because they are in various heights, and none of the lampshades match (or are white) except the two regular size table lamps on each side of the sofa.

The accent lamp you have on your sofa table probably would look better on the shelf next to the FP or another little area to brighten. Rooms like our's require those little accent lamps.

But I'd get rid of the white lampshades on all the lamps except the two floor lamps. All those white shades are what the eyes goes to instead of your room overall.

• gardenpea_gw
    11 years ago

I'm with Annie. The first thing I noticed was the chair right in front of and blocking the fireplace. Is there a TV on the left wall? Is that why the chair is not to the left of the fireplace?

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I think maybe they are too minimal contemporary. These seem like they would be better hovering over a long low sofa in a big rectangular room.

I think you need something in a table lamp, not Quite as tall, with a shade that is not Quite as large with a weighty base on a solid looking chest or table.

• ww340
    11 years ago

The large lamps didn't bother me, but the chair in front of the fireplace and small lamp caught my attention.

• gobruno
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Funny discussion about the chairs in front of the fireplace. I'm glad that's your focus bc it makes me angst less about the lamps. There are 2 armchairs and each of them is supposed to flank the fireplace leaving a pretty good view of the fireplace. Unfortunately, my kids cannot stop moving the furniture. My 5 year old, in particular, likes to join the 2 armchairs and straddle the two joined arms. I don't know why he finds this comfortable. They also like to bring them close together and put a blanket on top and make a tent. So, the photo doesn't represent how the furniture is supposed to really sit in the room. It's a wonder that the pillows are even on the couch in this photo. They are usually all on the floor.... And yes, there is a tv recessed into the left wall.

Anyway, thanks for all your opinions. I think that I'm going to live with these lamps for awhile and see how I feel, especially after we put in the new end table and a taller console lamp. If it feels too overwhelming, there are several places in the room I'll try moving it or elsewhere in the house. The thing with just having one floor lamp on the couch is that it kind of looked unbalanced, like there was a big flag pole in the middle of the room. When I was setting up the lamps, I put the first one in the room and took a step back and looked at it. It looked much better when I put the 2d in the room for balance. Anyway, thanks for your opinions. I appreciate them but also take comfort in knowing that there will be people who hate rooms designed by even the "best" designer--not that mine looks like a designer room. Just trying to make a happy space for my family and me personally.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

I love tall lamps with big shades ! I think yours look perfect, specially against that tall wall with the tall draperies. Your ceilings are very high and when I look at the room as a whole, I think the lamps belong and add character .

Exactly!!

• peaches12345
    11 years ago

I agree with desert_sol, the height of the ceiling has nothing to do with the proper height of lighting. It's the height of the furniture on which someone next to the lamp will be sitting that determines the proper height of lighting.

Articles on google say that a floor lamp next to a normal sofa or chair should be no higher than 5'5" tall to throw the correct lighting downwards, 6' tall if the lighting is directed upwards. The floor lamp in my family room which is perfect for reading is a little over 5' tall. I like these lamps, but they look way too tall to me in that position by the sofa.

I also looked up various floor lamps for sale online and was amazed how many are adjustable for height.

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

I think you need larger (weightier) tables on either end with table lamps on them. possibly a different shape and maybe color for the shades.

yrs ago when I had to replace some old shades for old lamps from my MILs estate I took the lamps into the lamp shade store with me. The ladies there were very used to matching the correct shade to a lamp. They knew what they had and what went w/what...

• natal
    11 years ago

I've had 3 floor lamps and 2 were adjustable. That's why I initially asked. Definitely helps.

• musicteacher
    11 years ago

I am just curious, what do you do with the cords with a lamp out in the middle like this?

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

Open plan rooms like this are often planned with floor outlets in likely furniture locations.

• dakota01
    11 years ago

I like the large lamps - its the little lamp that seems NQR now. Maybe replace it w/a larger one but w/the same style shade. The chairs in front of the fireplace could be moved/separated alittle.

• gobruno
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again for your comments. I agree that this floor lamp is a little "outside the box," but I'm trying to step outside my comfort zone a little bit so that I won't end up with a room that looks like everybody else's. At the same time, I don't think that this lamp is so out there that it is ridiculous or impractical. Although this lamp is taller than most, the bottom of the shade hits at about 55 inches, which is 4.5 feet. That is acutally in line with where the shades of many conventional floor lamps fall. So, if this lamp had a conventional lamp shade that was more around 12 inches, it would be 5.5 feet. It just happens to have a 24 inch lamp shade. Anyway, this room is and will be a work in progress for a while. I'm not saying that these lamps will stay here forever, but I'll play around with it and other things in the room probably forever....
    Anyway, as for the question about the cords, we have floor outlets tucked under either side of the couch. We bult this house and planned the room around the furniture placement, and we anticipated that we'd be putting lamps in these locations. So, we tuck the rest of the cord under the couch.

• Oakley
    11 years ago

I'm fine with the floor lamps, but is the lamp on the sofa table necessary? For me that's what really sticks out, even if you were to get a larger size.

When you buy new end tables, can you use the round one to the left of the sofa with the new and higher lamp?

I had to take my table lamp off the sofa table because it made the room look lamp heavy. I found that the more space between lamps, the better. Especially with different colors for the shades.

You sound like a great mom! :)

• mitchdesj
    11 years ago

"I don't think that this lamp is so out there that it is ridiculous or impractical."

you're so right about that !

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

I love lamps so I had to think about this one for a while.
    I don't think the lamps are too big for the room - I just think they need to be somewhere other than in the middle of the room where they appear to be serving as end-table lamps You see skinny, skinny pole bases with huge shades, which, in the picture, almost seem to be floating there. I'm betting they actually look better IRL than on my monitor.

With your large, beautiful room I would want larger tables, probably not exactly matching, with LARGE table lamps - something unique and different. It sounds like you have come to the conclusion that some of the things in your room are too small scale for the size of the room.

Your gorgeous floor lamps looks like they should be closer to a wall. I think they would look awesome at the end of the settee with the drapes providing a backdrop to the lamps - they wouldn't look so top-heavy that way. Could you show us a picture of that area only??

I like the lamp on the sofa table - it could stand to be slightly taller (maybe) but I wouldn't run out and change it until you resolve the other lamps.

• sumac
    11 years ago

I agree with the others that the problem is having them hulking in the middle of the room. The suggestions to move them to the window wall or a corner is what I would like to see.

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

Well, in answer to your question, just the chairs in front of the fireplace which you have already discussed. Then again, I have the same cookie monster in my family room :)

I LOVE the lamps and your whole room. Someday I hope to have lamps! Between two VERY active boys and three cats, I figure I don't want to set myself up for failure, I can't wait. :)

• Alittleapple
    11 years ago

In my eyes, I just focus on the two floor lights and the table lamp. But the atmosphere of the whole room is not warm except dim.

• kellyeng
    11 years ago

Just wanted to say that I love the lamps, their placement and everything in general. That room just screams comfort.

• amykath
    11 years ago

The lamps are very cool. I guess the question is do you want them to be your focal point. The first thing my eye jumps to is the two lamps. They appear to be the focal point in the room. The problem is in photos it is never easy to get the feel of a space. So, if in person they feel right to you then that is all that matters. :)

• tfm1134
    11 years ago

I like the lamps and dont think they out of place to me

• gobruno
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again for your comments. I'm encouraged by those of you who like the lamps because I like them too. Part of my self-doubt comes from the fact that, like many have pointed out, you don't often see lamps floating out in the middle of the room. I don't know if that makes it necessarily wrong (in the design sense). Sometimes it takes awhile to decide whether you like or feel comfortable with a new look or thing. So, I'm still processing it. I overthink things all the time; so, it takes me awhile to come to a conclusion. The floor lamps themselves are beautiful in real life. They are a polished nickel and are really nicely crafted. They are sculptural in a way. So, in some respects, I don't mind that they are a focal point in the room bc they are kind of like functional art. Is it too much? It will always be so for some people. There are still a lot of things that need to be tweaked in this room for it to feel "done." I am constantly struck by how difficult it is to just create a space that feels completely right. You would think it would be much simpler and straightforward.

Boopadaboo, it is definitely a risk for us to have lamps in this room. We have 5 kids, including 4 very active boys. Nothing in this room stays in place for very long. Honestly, the floor lamps I think work better for the boys bc I think they have a less likely chance of getting tipped over than a lamp on an end table next to the couch. These floor lamps are placed slightly back (line up with the back of the couch) so that they aren't in a prime active location. Whereas a table lamp would necessarily be right next to the couch. The skinny-ness of these lamps is a plus bc the kids would have to have more precise aim in order to knock these over. Plus, the shade being higher helps (again, more out of the way). I'm not saying that these aren't going to get knocked over, but I'm hoping they are less likely to get knocked over. The lamp on the console table, btw, is stuck to the table with earthquake putty.

• leafy02
    11 years ago

I just wanted to say, lovely room! Beautiful view, too!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

The lamps add drama and sophistication, to me, in the room.
    I love how the lamp angles mimic the room angles.

• EG3d
    11 years ago

I like the lamps but not next to the sofa. Can you place them each in a different corner of the room? Then find table lamps to place next to the sofa on the end tables.

• tfm1134
    11 years ago

gobruno, I say if you like them then I think they are keepers :)
    but I understand how you feel, I am always doubting myself when it comes to decorating. I think that the key is walking in to your room and liking what you see. Thats really all that matters

• garethcooper9
    11 years ago

I wouldn't say the lamps look weird.Yes they are the first thing I noticed on the picture but definitely now weird.

• tag_singer
    11 years ago

The small, spindly end table is the problem. Beef up that corner between the sofas, and the lamps will look much more in place. I, too, like the way the shades echo the mantle wall.

As a side note, I would also beef up the artwork on the right side of the mantle with something at least as tall as the picture on the left side, and maybe with a heavier frame. Looks and feels a little puny right now, rather like the diminuitive end table.

Nice room!

• jan_in_wisconsin
    11 years ago

I really like the lamps. Beautiful room!

• jlj48
    11 years ago

I really love this room. I Love your sofas and this is the first room where I have seen matching sofas that I really like. The whole room looks classy and sophisticated, yet casual and comfortable, and to think you've pulled this off with 5 kids!

• aokat15
    11 years ago

I haven't read every response, but I too like the lamps - I just think other items in the room are too small... I definitely think a larger lamp on the sofa console will really help balance the lamps, but I would look for thicker as well as taller on that lamp (thicker than what you posted above)... I do think you need some more height in other areas as well - maybe next to the chaise by the window and maybe even something taller and more dramatic over the fireplace as it does seem like the ceiling height and height of the windows are taking over some of the furniture... but I know this is a work in progress (which I have going on in my house!) so it may be easier said than done. Good luck!

• cliff_and_joann
    11 years ago

Looking at the room in it's totality, everything is just gorgeous...the furniture placement, the lounge sofa in front of the window, the floor, the fireplace, everything...(it's my dream room, actually)
    except for the two lamps in question, they are two sore thumbs in the room...Can you take them out and place two smaller lamps on the end tables and give us another photo.

You're first impression was "does anything look weird
    in this room?" I think you're looking to be talked into liking it...when you really know you don't like it.

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

I keep looking and I still love it! Even more so now that I know you manage it with so many boys. ;) If you do take more pics, I would love to see one with the lamps off. Lamps come across different in pics compared to RL I think. I am wondering if that might change some opinions.

• Laurie
    11 years ago

I like the lamps and the feel of the entire room.

I was thinking exactly what boopadaboo said. Post more pics with the lights off. IRL, the lights probably don't look as bright as what we are seeing in your pics.

Laurie

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

Gobruno I was thinking of you last night as I watched an episode of HGTV's Design Star. In the white room challenge, one of the contestants did a fantastic job, but she had a floor lamp in the room that sent Vern over the edge. He made such a fuss about that lamp. He made it sound like that one lamp just ruined the whole room, lol.
    I'm going to have to pay much closer attention to my own lamps now!

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

Gobruno I was thinking of you last night as I watched an episode of HGTV's Design Star. In the white room challenge, one of the contestants did a fantastic job, but she had a floor lamp in the room that sent Vern over the edge. He made such a fuss about that lamp. He made it sound like that one lamp just ruined the whole room, lol.
    I'm going to have to pay much closer attention to my own lamps now!