SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
la_koala

Can owner 'redline' arch drawing before giving to bidders?

la_koala
13 years ago

Hi all,

Many times, I don't know how to ask the question in the "right way", so feel free to correct me, and provide any guidance you feel like sharing. This is my first big remodeling project, and while I've learned a lot with all of your input, I am still a newbie at this (and making mistakes along the way). I'm not sure what the best options are here.

My situation:

- Contracted with a licensed architect to develop a set of construction drawings for a kitchen and bath remodel in an existing house, that could be used to estimate construction costs, obtain permits, and complete construction. (wording in the contract).

- My intention is to do a bid process with three GCs.

- I had a falling out with the architect. The architect has finished the drawings and schedules (printed on the drawings). However, because of how the relationship closed, I feel unable to approach the architect with any changes.

- In writing up the documents for the bid package, I realized I want to change the fan/light combo in the bathroom to separate units. I also want to correct a sentence that's in the Door Schedule (about the finish for the lockset and knob).

Questions:

In my situation, what are my options for getting the "right picture" for the bid package, so it's clear to the bidders, when architect is no longer onboard the project?

If something's printed within the architect's drawings (like the fan/light combo is on the Electrical Layout) or printed in a Schedule that's on the same sheet as the floor plan, what's the standard protocol I can use to indicate there's an update?

I saw the term "redline" used in descriptions on the Web -- is that the appropriate method? How would I actually *do* it? Write directly on the printed pages?

While I recognize that ideally I'd still have the architect onboard, that won't be possible in this case. As far as a statement of ownership, the contract states that the documents may not be used for any purpose other than the remodel of the house at my address--and that's all I intend to use them for. I just don't know what the least confusing way is to communicate changes like these.

Thanks in advance!

Lee

Comments (15)