SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
srobertb

Help! First project is becoming a disaster before it starts

srobertb
9 years ago

We recently moved to a new state and had to buy a house fairly quickly. We found a fixer upper (century home) that my wife loved. The home was too small and poorly laid out for a modern family of 4. I agreed to the home purchase on the condition a contractor would come out and give us a sense of cost before we closed. We got someone to come out (realtors referral) and based on the number he gave us we decided to move forward with the purchase. We later found out that he does kitchen/bath stuff and this 1600 sq ft addition with basement would be too large for him.

Six months or so later we decided to start working with an architect during the winter to be ready to build during spring. We chose 1 of the 3 we interviewed based on the fact that he seemed the most budget minded. He agreed to be paid based on the total construction budget less a few items we knew needed to be fixed (roof for instance). We gave him a firm budget and he referred to it as "healthy" and "reasonable." We also discussed level of finish, appliances, material quality, etc. everyone was on the same page.

He drew us the home of our dreams over 2 months going back and forth. It was a great feeling and we were all ready and excited to pick out tile, paint colors, etc.

Since we are new to the area we asked the architect to refer us to a builder. They came out with all their trades and did a thorough walk through. Their quote finally came in and it did not include everything (the architect kept telling them not to include things like new flooring and the roof because they were out of his scope of payment). The quote was over $100,000 over our budget. The architect insisted this was just a place to start and proceeded to strip the quality of our project down. Suggesting we use carpet instead of hardwoods, Kraftmaid cabinets instead of custom, cheap doors, etc, etc. even the GC was shaking his head once he heard how far off we were.

The Architect's second referral took 4 weeks to give us a quote similar in price to the first but in the form of a sloppily written email. No spreadsheet, no itemization, no sub bids. It was obvious he had not put any time or energy into it as he didn't include things we had asked for and included random things like appliance credits (although we had talked about buying our own).

We decided to branch out and got 2 quotes of our own. 1 quote was for $150,000 over budget. The other was for the amount that the architect had originally suggested the project would cost.

This low bidder brought out a custom woodworker from a local large mill who specializes in matching mouldings from 100+ year old homes. He brought out an excavator and mason to discuss the basement addition since it is a bit complex. He gave us an itemized cost list. Some items such as excavation and HVAC were close to the other bids. Other things like rough framing and drywall were much much cheaper.

When we mentioned the lowest bidder to our architect he threw up a red flag and insisted that this individual is a thief and a crook and typically under bids jobs by 1/2. He said his friend was taken to the cleaners by him (we have asked to speak to said friend and been denied) He recommended another builder we should call but insists that under no circumstances should we hire the lowest bidder- the guy who actually came in at the number the architect first said was correct. The guy who actually seems to care about narrowing down prices rather than giving credits, seems excited to show us his previous projects, and actually responds to emails.

Meanwhile after the 2nd bid from the architects referral he asked for the check that is due when the drawings are 2/3 complete- ie finalized. We told him no.

We can't trust our architect's judgement since he so grossly over drew the project. He seems like an honest guy but definitely screwed up here. We can't trust the lowest bidding contractor because I'm not supposed to take the lowest bidder and he is apparently a satan worshipper.

I'm wondering if anyone has had an experience where the architect overdrew the budget so brutally or bad mouthed GC's he didn't like? i can't find any other similar stories online.

We are going to start calling references on the lowest bidder next week. We are also going to insist (he offered) to show us a few of his most recent projects. Our bank also insists on doing a credit check and background check on any GC we hire.

If we aren't comfortable with him then the plan is to put in $50,000 to redo the roof, floors, improve the kitchen, etc. and relist the house in a year or so. We won't need an architect or GC.

We have already paid the architect a deposit. My inclination is to write him a check, post a review on angieslist and move on. My wife is adamant we owe the architect nothing since he has drawn us useless rough plans. Does anyone have any set precedence on this?

Thank you in advance.

Comments (16)